Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

Alex Neil Sacked

The story on the front page says he has an identical record to Wagner over the last 10 games too! 

Just shows how our current board settles for mediocrity 

• Like 2

Until the end of the season? I think he’d get a better tune out of the squad than Wagner. Had a mix bag management career to dates, but Bar Stoke, he’s been successful at every other club if not over a sustained period.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Want Wagner gone as much as any normal person but wouldn't want him back. Not because I think he's no good, but leave it in the past, never go back.

25 minutes ago, king canary said:

Wasn't aware quite how unpopular he was with Stoke fans but they are pretty delighted he's gone.

Classic Dean Smith situation. Once the fans have turned on you there's no going back

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Classic Dean Smith situation. Once the fans have turned on you there's no going back

Classic Norwich reaction is “once the fans have turned on the manager 80% will defend them to the death out of some weird misplaced loyalty or head injury”

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Classic Norwich reaction is “once the fans have turned on the manager 80% will defend them to the death out of some weird misplaced loyalty or head injury”

You sound like one of them 20 percenters you best be careful round these parts boy 😉

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Wasn't aware quite how unpopular he was with Stoke fans but they are pretty delighted he's gone.

He was only unpopular with 20% of the fans, the other 80% couldn't see the woods for the trees.

Sound familiar?

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The pointless managerial roundabout is forever turning.

52% of teams who swapped their manager while in the relegation zone in the prem survive. So there is statistical data to suggest that having a new manager will provide an upturn in results. 

Not all manager are the same and not all squads are the same. It’s highly unlikely a squad will react the same to Pep Guardiola as the do with Sam Allerdyce for example. 

Edited by By Hook or Ian crook

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

The story on the front page says he has an identical record to Wagner over the last 10 games too! 

Just shows how our current board settles for mediocrity 

The implication being you think this is a reasonable circumstance to sack a manager? Because Farke wouldn’t have lasted his first season in the Premier League if you’re using that yardstick.

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

The implication being you think this is a reasonable circumstance to sack a manager? Because Farke wouldn’t have lasted his first season in the Premier League if you’re using that yardstick.

Different leagues, different expectations, different wage budget in relation to other clubs. Different transfer budget to other clubs in the prem. We had the highest wage bill in the championship last year but finished 12th so the expectation given the outlay was way off. Farke’s first season in the prem we were 20th in wage budget and finished 20th so it’s to be expected. 

I don’t feel we are getting value for money from a squad that averages over 30k a week each per player. Perhaps under a new manager they may get their moneys worth from them perhaps they won’t. That is the gamble. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Could work - just like when he came in before and kicked the players into gear part way into the season.

Christ no.

21 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I don’t feel we are getting value for money from a squad that averages over 30k a week each per player. 

This.

I, as any professional would, would be embarrassed at the current level of quality for what I was being paid.

(EDIT: For clarity, I am not a professional football player. My thought here is more acting and performing as a professional in any profession.)

I don’t give a crap if the strategy is off, the tactics are wrong, fitness is off, too many games in a short span of time, subs didn’t work out, etc…. Heck, I’ll even accept the lack of passion because there’s a falling out with style of play or being played out of position. But, all of that does not excuse the inability to simply pass and possess a ball competently. That is fundamental to what the players are being paid for. If I was the SD I’d tell the players that unless performances begin to improve, then their wages will begin to be docked for poor performances. They are paid to do a job, that they are simply not doing.

The players need to own the portion of responsibility that falls clear on their shoulders and be held accountable when they’re not, just like any other job.

Edited by CirclePoint

Unless their contracts have a clause to allow docking of wages for poor performance the club would face breach of contract law suits. Furthermore the precise aspects of poor performance would need to be precisely defined to stand up in court. 

I think after the next two games Knappers job will likely be easier to decide.

We cant stick with this.mediocrity. anyone can see we're not going anywhere under Wagner

21 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Christ no.

We also know he gets worse when he starts building his own team.

38 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Different leagues, different expectations, different wage budget in relation to other clubs. Different transfer budget to other clubs in the prem. We had the highest wage bill in the championship last year but finished 12th so the expectation given the outlay was way off. Farke’s first season in the prem we were 20th in wage budget and finished 20th so it’s to be expected. 

I don’t feel we are getting value for money from a squad that averages over 30k a week each per player. Perhaps under a new manager they may get their moneys worth from them perhaps they won’t. That is the gamble. 

He wouldn’t even have lasted in his first season in the Championship-midway through 2017/18 he had a 10 match period when we win once, drew twice and lost 7 times. What a good job that DS and MWJ showed more patience then.

No doubt will receive a sizeable payoff, and get to put his feet up over Christmas.

Nice work if you can get it.

• Haha 1