70% more games? Unless they're gonna relax the 3pm Saturday rule it'll be dumb kick off times galore!

Less is more sometimes. This is why I never saw the appeal of the superleague. Those big European ties are exciting because they only happen every few years. With more and more football on aren't people just going to get sick of it?

More yoyo teams i suspect.  How can any team compete going up to the prem from such a standing start, and even those clubs in the champs with money behind them cannot match the tv money.  If only the prem clubs could see the destructive impact and share the money around more it could make a real difference to the leagues, but self interest rarely gives way to supporting the system.

7 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

The most annoying aspect is how relatively undervalued the Championship is in comparison.

Annoying, sure. But reflective of the interest in it. Unless you’re a supporter of a club in the champs, no-one else is taking much interest. The EPL has eyes on it from every corner of the world. 

This deal at least ends the absurd situation like we saw this weekend where the rest of world can choose Liverpool v Fulham or Chelsea v Brighton while we're stuck with West Ham v Palace.

I wonder if the future of the Premier League is no games kicking off at 3pm in a Saturday. It protects the blackout but allows every game to be televised in the UK as it is internationally.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

This deal at least ends the absurd situation like we saw this weekend where the rest of world can choose Liverpool v Fulham or Chelsea v Brighton while we're stuck with West Ham v Palace.

I wonder if the future of the Premier League is no games kicking off at 3pm in a Saturday. It protects the blackout but allows every game to be televised in the UK as it is internationally.

My God!  I fear you're right. The only thing worse than losing 6-0 at home is to lose 6-0 at home at 8.00 on a Sunday night. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My God!  I fear you're right. The only thing worse than losing 6-0 at home is to lose 6-0 at home at 8.00 on a Sunday night. 

Ha, true.

To be honest I don't think you actually need to add loafs more time slots. 

You've already got 7 non 3pm Saturday timeslots- Friday, Saturday early, Saturday 5:30, the occasional Saturday 8pm, Sunday 2pm, Sunday 4:30pm.

So if you use all of those each week you only need to move three games- maybe you play two games in the early Saturday slot, two in the 5:30 slot and two in the 2pm Sunday slot and voilà, no need for Saturday 3pm.

I would imagine Sky will show fewer non EPL games to make space for more EPL. Lets's be honest the Championship is shocking quality nowadays.

Potentially great news for the Binners unfortunately as it will also increase the parachute payments as well.

14 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

IT WOULD BE NICE IF WE GOT SOME OF THAT MONEY

We have had access to it a few times over the last few years and it seems to have left us worse off financially every time! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

We have had access to it a few times over the last few years and it seems to have left us worse off financially every time! 

That's a bit like lottery winners going bankrupt. We don't know how to use it when we get it.

7 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I would imagine Sky will show fewer non EPL games to make space for more EPL. Lets's be honest the Championship is shocking quality nowadays.

Potentially great news for the Binners unfortunately as it will also increase the parachute payments as well.

The new deal runs from the '25/26 season. They'll have been promoted and relegated before it kicks in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They should do away with parachute payments. Enforce regulations that require players wages to reduce when relegated.

Clubs being helped just because they have spent a year in the PL should be scrapped as not fair.

It's called "Incentive". Play well and you dont go down.

4 minutes ago, Ness Point Runner said:

They should do away with parachute payments. Enforce regulations that require players wages to reduce when relegated.

Clubs being helped just because they have spent a year in the PL should be scrapped as not fair.

I've been an advocate of banning parachute payments for years as it gave the clubs that failed to survive an advantage the following season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, komakino said:

I've been an advocate of banning parachute payments for years as it gave the clubs that failed to survive an advantage the following season. 

Unless you had Dean Smith as manager of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, komakino said:

You absolutely need to close the revenue gap between the Premier League and the Championship before you can do that.

Right now we have revenues of about £140m in the Premier League, £35m in the Championship without parachute payments. Just getting rid would leave you in a situation where promoted teams either can't risk signing players on promotion and likely come straight back down or take the risk and go bankrupt if they fail to stay up.

I agree they warp competition at this level but any plan to get rid of them needs an increase in revenue in the Championship which likely only comes from the Premier League agreeing to share more of their wealth.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Worth £6.7bn in revenue and over 70% more games shown. Tnt/Bt only secured one of the package’s. Oh joy! Rich get richer

Well it’s good news in a way as I won’t need to renew my tnt subscription when that happens 😂

18 hours ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

hoping scum don't tap into this after this season with a promotion...

Yeah, 'cos all clubs that get into the PL make huge profits and live happily ever after 😕

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

That's a bit like lottery winners going bankrupt. We don't know how to use it when we get it.

"It's like a mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it!"

On 05/12/2023 at 08:55, Capt. Pants said:

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

George Best

20 hours ago, Ness Point Runner said:

It would also make very few players want to join promoted teams