The Real Buh

Delia Out - Strategy Thread

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

We certainly need to get back to supporting the team.

Hope you heard Bridget on the Scrimmage last night. Once more she was bang on. There does need to be some imminent AGM follow up with a clear reset with the fanbase and a protocol going forward. As per another thread the Munby/Cullen approach needs to re-enacted in some form.

Didn't listen to Bridget. Maybe will later.

However I feel getting back and supporting our team, in the way I assume you mean, won't ever happen. 

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

However I feel getting back and supporting our team, in the way I assume you mean, won't ever happen. 

Certainly not while the internet is around sadly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Certainly not while the internet is around sadly.

Nope. I don't suppose we're different to any other fan-base but we're certainly not all on the same page at the moment.

As my father-in-law used to say 'we don't know if we want a sh1t or haircut'.

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I've read what the Edwards have said, but isn't it also true on Sunday the away fans as a body (I wasn't there but from streamland it seemed universal) booed the team off at half time. Then the team turned it around in the 2nd half! To my mind the whingers were part of what turned around the performance. No sense that universally getting behind the team was what caused that result.

Keep on whinging! 

Well you certainly haven't read what I said. Or if you have you are replying to your own interpretation of it. Booing at half-time, full-time has happened for as long as I have been going to Carrow Road.

It's a simple question that nobody seems to want to answer. Maybe you will make my day...

Do you think the negativity towards the players during games when the ball is in play affects their performance?

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Nope. I don't suppose we're different to any other fan-base but we're certainly not all on the same page at the moment.

I’ve had plenty of sh1t haircuts back in the day. 

19 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

image.png.a8511de62a5ef861ea3d642a86e4c903.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I mean I have no problem with whinging, my issue is at the moment we aren't getting the other side you reference i.e the atmosphere has been terrible to start both last home games, before the players have even been given a chance.

So at the moment we get the whinging but without the support on the other side. The worst of both worlds, if you like.

Then it’s pretty obvious the ‘ 80 percenters ‘ are to blame. They should do something on match day to improve things. On Delia’s plucked-from-thin-air figures there’s four of them to one but they’re apathetic.

But perhaps if the entertainment value on the pitch improved some of the silent majority might be jolted back to life. Despite the terrible watch unless the majority can be a*sed to rouse themselves against the minority Carrow Rd will continue to have the atmosphere of a morgue.

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Well you certainly haven't read what I said. Or if you have you are replying to your own interpretation of it. Booing at half-time, full-time has happened for as long as I have been going to Carrow Road.

It's a simple question that nobody seems to want to answer. Maybe you will make my day...

Do you think the negativity towards the players during games when the ball is in play affects their performance?

Anyone who plays the big bad wolf in the Christmas panto is likely to get booed. It goes with the territory up to a point.

Just reading Ian Holloway's book at the moment. One quote in the preface is 'in football management you are always in the sh*t, the only question is how deep?'

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Fair enough.

Agreed negativity when ball in play doesn't help all players, but it sometimes kicks one or two up the **** metaphorically speaking. But is soporific support more of a downer for the team? Yes in my view. In our case then it is the fault of a lot of those bloody marvellous 80%'ers in home matches who just sit there (or get up 10 minutes before half / full time to disappear) and don't interact with the team at all that are the cause of the malaise and should be the focus of Delia. How would you reinvigorate them? Does Delia having a whine at the 20% whingers help? Seems counterintuitive to me. In my view the 20%'ers at least show they care; most of the 80% treat it as a day out sometimes interrupted by good entertainment on the pitch. 

Build a bigger and better City Stand to stir the Carra up by increasing capacity and attracting new regulars who haven't been inured to the modern football spectacle yet.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Build a bigger and better City Stand to stir the Carra up by increasing capacity and attracting new regulars who haven't been inured to the modern football spectacle yet.

This my main hope for the Attanasio era.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Unless of course the smarter move is going somewhere a bit further away from rising waters...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

She was sober you know. 

Drinking Sherry though a straw isn't the the best way to keep sober, especially during a 15 min half time lol 

19 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I hear you. Though I’m still not sure what she said was stoking division. What she said is, fundamentally, true. If we get on our own teams backs, it’s manna from heaven for the opposing team and manager. Because things are pretty moody at present, any oppo manager coming to Carrow Road is surely going to suggest that they start really hard, chase everything, and be front foot. It won’t be sustainable, but if us lot start groaning and go quiet(er) then it’s the first battle won.

It has changed in recent years too, I think. When we’ve looked like we are challenging - going back years and years - if we conceded there’d be an absolute chorus of OTBC ring out around the ground, an effort to lift the team and confirmation that we were still with them. These days, we might score a goal and then a “How Sh1t Must You Be, We’re Winning At Home” or something might ring out. I love a bit of gallows as much as the next fan but we do seem short on memory as to how bad we could/can be.

It can’t possibly help and while clumsily put, she wasn’t wrong. As I’ve said elsewhere, Delia doesn’t change. She says daft things when we’re doing well and daft things when we’re not. It’s just that when we’re doing well she’s that lovable old girl in the background and when we’re not she’s an omnipotent harridan, betrayed by her years. Just like she’s a passenger when we’re in the front foot and running the show when we’re not.

It’s all b0ll0cks of course. She’s not banging on the boardroom table and demanding that Hernandez starts; they pay people handsomely to make those decisions and to decide who to let make those choices.

I completely understand the animosity towards Wagner; I’d sack him. Yet during the game, our only choice, the only way we can influence the game positively, is to back whoever Wagner picks, get behind them, cane the opposition and berate the officials every time they give a decision against us.

Come 90 minutes, if we get thumped, have your “say”. It’s done then. But at least you/we will all know that WE left everything out there for the team even if Hernandez couldn’t finish a Happy Meal or Gibson pass the parcel at a 6yo birthday party.

I think that’s what she was driving at and I don’t think she was wrong. I’m certainly not crying about it. 

Don’t really disagree with anything you’ve said other than the bit in bold. I think it does.

It’s not just Delia, there’s been a pretty consistent narrative from the club that some supporters are a problem for a while now. 

Fixating on something you can’t fix is just bizarre to me. 

I agree Delia has always been Delia, but like Webber it’s easier to get away with the outspoken comments when the going is good, when it’s not it just comes across as tone deaf.

You’re right she isn’t wrong, but there’s a way to say it that doesn’t just make things worse.

19 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I hear you. Though I’m still not sure what she said was stoking division. What she said is, fundamentally, true. If we get on our own teams backs, it’s manna from heaven for the opposing team and manager. Because things are pretty moody at present, any oppo manager coming to Carrow Road is surely going to suggest that they start really hard, chase everything, and be front foot. It won’t be sustainable, but if us lot start groaning and go quiet(er) then it’s the first battle won.

It has changed in recent years too, I think. When we’ve looked like we are challenging - going back years and years - if we conceded there’d be an absolute chorus of OTBC ring out around the ground, an effort to lift the team and confirmation that we were still with them. These days, we might score a goal and then a “How Sh1t Must You Be, We’re Winning At Home” or something might ring out. I love a bit of gallows as much as the next fan but we do seem short on memory as to how bad we could/can be.

It can’t possibly help and while clumsily put, she wasn’t wrong. As I’ve said elsewhere, Delia doesn’t change. She says daft things when we’re doing well and daft things when we’re not. It’s just that when we’re doing well she’s that lovable old girl in the background and when we’re not she’s an omnipotent harridan, betrayed by her years. Just like she’s a passenger when we’re in the front foot and running the show when we’re not.

It’s all b0ll0cks of course. She’s not banging on the boardroom table and demanding that Hernandez starts; they pay people handsomely to make those decisions and to decide who to let make those choices.

I completely understand the animosity towards Wagner; I’d sack him. Yet during the game, our only choice, the only way we can influence the game positively, is to back whoever Wagner picks, get behind them, cane the opposition and berate the officials every time they give a decision against us.

Come 90 minutes, if we get thumped, have your “say”. It’s done then. But at least you/we will all know that WE left everything out there for the team even if Hernandez couldn’t finish a Happy Meal or Gibson pass the parcel at a 6yo birthday party.

I think that’s what she was driving at and I don’t think she was wrong. I’m certainly not crying about it. 

Good old Delia. Only ever wants the best and I’ll back her all day long whatever crap she spouts could be your template Dunc. 

In the last few years I’ve begun to get a horrible unwanted empathy with Man U fans. They expect to be near the top of the division and unconsciously disrespect a lot of opponents. It’s an entitled view to some extent. Since having recent success to some degree this have crept in in our own tier of football.

it beholdens us to resist this mindset in my view, to take the bigger view and get with the programme.

Our current custodians have done exactly what fans have asked of them, by bringing in outside capital and expertise. This thread is much like the article about Self Funding (MFW); behind the times.

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I’ll answer. It definitely affects them, there’s been studies on it. Deep down I doubt there’s many supporters that don’t believe it does.

Which begs the question why are so many people doing it and Carrow road is a morgue?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

In the last few years I’ve begun to get a horrible unwanted empathy with Man U fans. They expect to be near the top of the division and unconsciously disrespect a lot of opponents. It’s an entitled view to some extent. Since having recent success to some degree this have crept in in our own tier of football.

it beholdens us to resist this mindset in my view, to take the bigger view and get with the programme.

Our current custodians have done exactly what fans have asked of them, by bringing in outside capital and expertise. This thread is much like the article about Self Funding (MFW); behind the times.

Tom Smith has made his way onto the forum.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

I’ll answer. It definitely affects them, there’s been studies on it. Deep down I doubt there’s many supporters that don’t believe it does.

Which begs the question why are so many people doing it and Carrow road is a morgue?

Do you have an answer that question?

From some of abuse I hear in the ground they don't like Idah's 5 year contract and he's s hit. They don't want us to pass the ball they want us to clear the ducker. Until we do clear the ducker and then we're s hit. 

My best guess is they're bored of it. I keep hearing the bleat that they go out of duty. WTF is that?

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Only problem with building a bigger stand is that you have to fill it. The ground is barely full half the time now. The season ticket waiting list does indicate we could get 30-32k a game if the team are playing well. Looks bad though if it’s half empty when the football is drab. 

56 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Do you have an answer that question?

From some of abuse I hear in the ground they don't like Idah's 5 year contract and he's s hit. They don't want us to pass the ball they want us to clear the ducker. Until we do clear the ducker and then we're s hit. 

My best guess is they're bored of it. I keep hearing the bleat that they go out of duty. WTF is that?

I have a simple answer that I genuinely believe, it’s all down to repeated poor communication.

Yes there are some that will never be happy unless we are winning things, but to bring the majority of the supporter base along with you…you have to actually try to.

Norwich have a pretty amazing PR team, that mental health campaign was superb. It’s not the ability IMO, it’s the leadership direction.

10 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I have a simple answer that I genuinely believe, it’s all down to repeated poor communication.

Yes there are some that will never be happy unless we are winning things, but to bring the majority of the supporter base along with you…you have to actually try to.

Norwich have a pretty amazing PR team, that mental health campaign was superb. It’s not the ability IMO, it’s the leadership direction.

Maybe.

But then the conversation would probably be...

Idah's s hit. Why has he got a 5 year contract?

Because it's in our interest to tie him down while he developes.

But he's s hit.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Maybe.

But then the conversation would probably be...

Idah's s hit. Why has he got a 5 year contract?

Because it's in our interest to tie him down while he developes.

But he's s hit.

Those conversations always happen though.

Why’s he playing x, why’s x not in the side, why’d they not renew x’s contract, why did they renew x he’s useless etc. etc.

Can replace those X’s with names from the last 50 years plus IMO, those conversations always take place.

However we’ve managed to completely kill an atmosphere to the worst levels I can remember. Sorry that isn’t due to people whinging, that’s complete mismanagement of a supporter base.

8 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I've got a sh1t haircut if that's any help?....

28 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Why’s he playing x, why’s x not in the side, why’d they not renew x’s contract, why did they renew x he’s useless etc. etc.

Can replace those X’s with names from the last 50 years plus IMO, those conversations always take place.

However we’ve managed to completely kill an atmosphere to the worst levels I can remember. Sorry that isn’t due to people whinging, that’s complete mismanagement of a supporter base.

Indeed. My written question was effectively what is the point of putting season tickets up in price if admission revenue goes down? They didn't seem to prepare for the question despite it being submitted in advance and made some vague references about the OSP.

46 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

But we're moving right off point now. The conversation I alluded to would be from improved communication with our club. But I don't really think supporters in the ground can't work out for themselves why Idah has a 5 year contract. And anyway, the abuse of players during the game isn't really a conversation is it?

I think in many ways the best answer to this came from @TIL 1010 about the internet. I saw it in real time last Thursday evening when there was a tweet? allegedly from TNC about Delia and Michael's supposed comments concerning Stuart Webber and David Wagner. This was then read out in the form of a shareholder's question. Of course Michael.and Delia immediately dismissed it as a lie but that added to the overall bad mood surrounding the AGM. We see almost daily where such 'lies' are repeated on here. Truth really doesn't seem to matter so much since the internet has become so vital to the conversations.

• Like 1