Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Can we make it three wins in a row?

Well here we go again. This time we have Watford. Think it's fair to say Watford are in somewhat of a similar position to us. Not big fans of their owners, think their manager is a bit of a fraud, underperforming as the club drifts towards lower leauge wilderness years with rumours of debt and money issues piling up.. Do rather feel for them as think it's fair to say we know what that feels like.

But regardless we have got to play them tommorow. So what do we think the result will be? What's your prediction? Honestly I'm still not convinced. Sure, we beat QPR but I think many would agree that we were quite poor (Understatment given we had 37 percent possession and only 1 shot on target all match at home against a team almost bottom of the table..) and had QPR simply been any better team then I do think we would have been in trouble. But while I am worried I don't really think Watford are too much better even  if they should be a tougher challenge. All in all I'm going to predict a rather boring and stale draw

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Im unconvinced we are playing much better or are developing our style of play. We seem to be just trying to grind out results by whatever means possible, rather than trying to play a certain way. Watford always seem to win against us, so will be happy with a point, however there team doesnt look overly strong so if we actually turn up we should be able to win. Lets hope with some of the injuries returning to fitness it pushes us on. Would like to see Sainz starting soon, albeit he looked pretty unfit from the last game.

Edited by jaberry2

I know it was a win, but I found the whole QPR game quite shocking, like a step change in something I can't quite put my finger on. It wasn't just the clunky, error-strewn performance, the lack of any sort of structure at all and being distinctly outplayed by second bottom QPR at home. The main thing was the tangible fear in the team and the crowd, like something had slipped down a level.

I can't really put it into words that make sense. An away game is preferable now, but Watford... Yuck. Fear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I know it was a win, but I found the whole QPR game quite shocking, like a step change in something I can't quite put my finger on. It wasn't just the clunky, error-strewn performance, the lack of any sort of structure at all and being distinctly outplayed by second bottom QPR at home. The main thing was the tangible fear in the team and the crowd, like something had slipped down a level.

I can't really put it into words that make sense. An away game is preferable now, but Watford... Yuck. Fear.

It was a classic showing of a team shorn of confidence trying to do the basics and be more compact - against a QPR side with new management that had drawn their last two. Watford will be a test of mettle again, and I'll take a draw.

At the moment it's about just going back to basics, sod the pretty stuff, and fight.

• Like 6

My expectations are low but if Wagner and the team can pull off three wins in a row after the Blackburn game  then fair play. I can’t remember a turn around like that ever.

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It was a classic showing of a team shorn of confidence trying to do the basics and be more compact - against a QPR side with new management that had drawn their last two. Watford will be a test of mettle again, and I'll take a draw.

At the moment it's about just going back to basics, sod the pretty stuff, and fight.

I think what it felt like was a relegation bound team. I don't for a minute actually think that relegation is on the cards, but I think that's what it felt like, oddly. I didn't see it as doing the basics - the ball was given away far, far too often for that - more as just not knowing what to do. Frankly it was lucky win that felt more like a defeat for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I think what it felt like was a relegation bound team. I don't for a minute actually think that relegation is on the cards, but I think that's what it felt like, oddly. I didn't see it as doing the basics - the ball was given away far, far too often for that - more as just not knowing what to do. Frankly it was lucky win that felt more like a defeat for some reason.

Giving the ball away regularly, especially in players who are decent at keeping hold of it usually, is often a confidence issue. I totally agree that the performance was disjointed and you can see that Wagner's decided he's having to batten the hatches down when he's tried building a team to go on the front foot. In that sense there's a bit of a double-whammy involved. He's suddenly trying to get a team to do almost the polar opposite of what he initially intended, and their belief is low to boot.

So at the moment it's all about getting players behind the ball and making the opposition team have to be rather more precise in picking their way through us instead of being wide open like we often were earlier on in the season. We did do that quite well - for all their possession and occasional quite pretty passing patterns we still had the best chance of the game which we scored.

It takes time for confidence to rebuild - and wins are the only currency that do it.

• Like 1

Watford playing much better than their results suggest. Us, the opposite! 

I'm going for another Blackburn / Sunderland style of performance and result. 

The last two results have papered over the canyon. We're still miles from seeing the corner, let alone turning it. 

• Like 1

I expect that we will win by a clear three goals because we are playing such attractive, incisive, brilliant attacking football and are so solid in defence. I am agog with excitement at the prospect and disappointed that I cannot make the trip to Watford to witness our valiant team of over 30 s who are so full of ideas and creativity . 

• Like 1

It sounds like Wagner has detached us from playing any form of fluid attacking football and its now back to Chris H era of boring football. Im hoping a freshen up of the squad with players coming back from injury help. Cant wait to see the back of some of the older players who are far off the pace and the desired standard.

3 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

It sounds like Wagner has detached us from playing any form of fluid attacking football and its now back to Chris H era of boring football. Im hoping a freshen up of the squad with players coming back from injury help. Cant wait to see the back of some of the older players who are far off the pace and the desired standard.

You can’t play fluid attacking football with our squad, he’d have to take a chance on Fisher, Sainz, Get Rowe & Sargent back and then hope they can all score more than we’d concede if we went more attacking! Give Wagner credit, two wins needed and got by anyway possible. Not great to watch but 6 points away from any relegation fight.

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

You can’t play fluid attacking football with our squad, he’d have to take a chance on Fisher, Sainz, Get Rowe & Sargent back and then hope they can all score more than we’d concede if we went more attacking! Give Wagner credit, two wins needed and got by anyway possible. Not great to watch but 6 points away from any relegation fight.

I hear what you're saying but TBH i've got to stage of Wagner hanging in there as not good enough. Yes 6 points is good, but we are not really improving and stats seem to back that up. You could argus picking up points is more than enough in our current position which I appreciate.

Edited by jaberry2

15 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I hear what you're saying but TBH i've got to stage of Wagner hanging in there as not good enough. Yes 6 points is good, but we are not really improving and stats seem to back that up. 

Totally agree and I had hoped that Knapper had some young coach from Arsenal lined up to take the hot seat, unfortunately doesn’t look like it! Wagner is a decent guy, fits our club but has been given a pig of squad by Webber! Only Barnes has been of any real positive worth from the summer signings, Stacey & Fassnacht are ok!
I suggest that they way the takeover is structured we’re lucky that Sargent was injured as in his form he’d been off in January sales, we better hope we can keep Sara & Rowe this window!

I’d be happy with top ten this season, keep hold of Sargent Rowe & Sara through next summer and hopefully build on our youth products along with Sainz, get the dross out the door, Gibson, Foreshaw, Hwang, etc. battle through and hope we can really start to make progress under Knapper. He’s come in very quietly and not made much in the way of sweeping statements in the press or in actions, taking time to see the problems for himself or naive as it’s his first SD role, who knows but at some point we need a change in direction. It’s going to take time and it’s the Norwich way a long time!

Edited by Indy

Just now, Indy said:

Totally agree and I had hoped that Knapper had some young coach from Arsenal lined up to take the hot seat, unfortunately doesn’t look like it! Wagner is a decent guy, fits our club but has been given a pig of squad by Webber! Only Barnes has been of any real positive worth! 
I suggest that they way the takeover is structured we’re lucky that Sargent was injured as in his form he’d been off in January sales, we better hope we can keep Sara & Rowe this window!

I’d be happy with top ten this season, keep hold of Sargent Rowe & Sara through next summer and hopefully build on our youth products along with Sainz, get the dross out the door, Gibson, Foreshaw, Hwang, etc. battle through and hope we can really start to make progress under Knapper. He’s come in vet quietly and not made much in the way of sweeping statements in the press or in actions, taking time to see the problems for himself or naive as it’s his first SD role, who knows but at some point we need a change in direction. It’s going to take time and it’s the Norwich way a long time!

Personally I'd rather get rid of players like Hernadez, PP and some others which clearly arent good enough to be in our squad, despite improvements shown on the latter. Some sensible loan additions would be welcome asap. 

I think Knapper has given Wagner a 'results first' plan of action.  Which is something we needed, so ok, it's not pretty - but who cares in this interim period where we're still waiting for key players to return?

We can play our preferred system once Sarge and Rowe are back.  In the meantime it's all about getting points on the board.  We can't have both a system and results without the players, so you have to opt for one or the other and the crowd have to got get with it.

Edited by Google Bot

The QPR win was deceptive. Don’t get hopes up just because we beat the worst team in the division. Even against them we gave the ball away sloppily so many times it was alarming - a better team would have easily beaten us. 

• Like 1

A jammy 3-0 victory coming up. From 30% possession, looking like no clue at all in possession, but still take 100% of the chances that come our way. Bit of both worlds on here after, half congratulating the chance conversions, whilst most moan how **** we looked, clueless and how Wagner has to go. Whilst the outside world just wanna be Norwich! 

Edited by shefcanary

10 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The QPR win was deceptive. Don’t get hopes up just because we beat the worst team in the division. Even against them we gave the ball away sloppily so many times it was alarming - a better team would have easily beaten us. 

But we could have set up differently against a better team? In reality second half we let them have the ball because we realised they couldn't play through us, hence them creating very little for a team with 62% of the ball.

Equally, the Cardiff result was against the form team and again, we created more than them away from home.

A point would be a good result and a decent set of results all things considered. 

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Watford playing much better than their results suggest. Us, the opposite! 

I'm going for another Blackburn / Sunderland style of performance and result. 

The last two results have papered over the canyon. We're still miles from seeing the corner, let alone turning it. 

Well, we've already reached that 10 points you so boldly predicted!

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

This.

I always tell the teams I coach (I oversee a youth developmental program from U8 - U18) to score first, we can work on style points second.

Yes it’s easy on the eye to make five passes from the back to the attacking third and have a shot on goal, but sometimes, for whatever reason, that’s simply not in the cards.

So I’ll take a win and the rest can be worked on in training.

I applaud the team for grinding out a win yesterday. They’re professionals. They’re humans. They know they’re in a rut at the moment and I trust they’ll figure it out. Not saying it’s comfortable or entertaining as a fan, but that’s where we are at the moment.

Fans who are incessantly complaining about it are not helping in the slightest.

Think of it like this, what would you say to someone who was sitting next to you in a restaurant eating the food, yet constantly complaining about how bad it was?

It’s not pretty at the moment and in fact, very demoralizing to watch us play, but I do believe that when we are injury free, the season will turn around.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

second half we let them have the ball

Well, I guess that's a novel way of winning a football match.

4 hours ago, CirclePoint said:

This.

I always tell the teams I coach (I oversee a youth developmental program from U8 - U18) to score first, we can work on style points second.

Yes it’s easy on the eye to make five passes from the back to the attacking third and have a shot on goal, but sometimes, for whatever reason, that’s simply not in the cards.

So I’ll take a win and the rest can be worked on in training.

I applaud the team for grinding out a win yesterday. They’re professionals. They’re humans. They know they’re in a rut at the moment and I trust they’ll figure it out. Not saying it’s comfortable or entertaining as a fan, but that’s where we are at the moment.

Fans who are incessantly complaining about it are not helping in the slightest.

Think of it like this, what would you say to someone who was sitting next to you in a restaurant eating the food, yet constantly complaining about how bad it was?

It’s not pretty at the moment and in fact, very demoralizing to watch us play, but I do believe that when we are injury free, the season will turn around.

This could explain why I don't really like watching football anymore, if coaches are genuinely doing this. What a shame that those youngsters don't play the game for love, rather than results.

Re the restaurant analogy - I might go back to that restaurant to give it a second chance, but I probably won't keep going if the food continues to be bad. The purpose of complaining is to improve the standard isn't it?

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

But we could have set up differently against a better team? In reality second half we let them have the ball because we realised they couldn't play through us, hence them creating very little for a team with 62% of the ball.

Equally, the Cardiff result was against the form team and again, we created more than them away from home.

A point would be a good result and a decent set of results all things considered. 

Usually with you Hogesar on the optimism front but fear for us a little tomorrow. They are a bit of a bogey team for us (although we did win with the Sarge flick the other year). Don’t fancy us getting much tomorrow but would be overjoyed to be made to eat humble pie.