Jim Smith

I’m not having this complete fabrication that we today

Sacrificed attacking threat to make us harder to play through.

We weren’t harder to play through. They created lots of chances and a better side would have scored a couple. This is opportunistic nonsense because we managed to keep a clean sheet.

Barnes was a positive today, as was Baath. Kenny played quite well. But it was generally an awful performance with zero creativity, zero control of the game and zero to get excited about. Absolutely nothing there to suggest that Wagner can turn this round or should still be in charge at the club. 

The fact he picked the same deeper midfield pairing in the same formation sats it all. Whilst he does that we will get beaten by any decent sides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly I agree. Couldn’t help thinking we could have lost today if QPR had taken their chances, and a better team almost certainly would have beaten us. 

A win is nice but it feels like a “Smith win” (that run of games when kept winning but no one quite knew how…)

• Like 5

Yup we were crap, if QPR could finish it would have been 3-1.

Basically an inspired take down and cool finish from Hwang was the only thing we really even did.

Embarrassing when people say "a win is a win"

image.jpeg.420f148b7d0b571d58dbca6da484cf28.jpeg

No.... No I wasn't. On a par with that turgid pig sh1te that was Dean Smith's calling card. 

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Think the issue is that QPR looked like they wanted to play. To attack. To score.

We just looked like we were bored and wanted the match to be over already for most of the match

Are you talking about the Norwich players or fans?........

• Haha 1

It's fairly obvious that Wagner is not the right way forward but Knapper needs time to send the club in the direction he wants.

I mean we were rubbish but they didn't create loads at all. They had a lower xG than us and we were terrible.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, daly said:

One word

RUBBISH

Next two games and we’ll be in the relegation zone

Are we getting a point deduction? 

22 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

It wasn’t a great watch but I never saw QPR scoring 

Quite so. Some seem to think doing a few twiddly bits in midfield means you deserve a win.  It’s actually about scoring goals. And not conceding.  It was a game of few chances, but Long had very little to do, the sad thing is their keeper had even less but a piece of quality settled it.

We clearly need to be far better, but a win’s a win.  And I don’t find that remotely embarrassing - I find it more embarrassing that some can’t accept it, and always seem to wallow in it when we win without playing at our best.  I’ve been going to games for 40+ years and seen us win, lose, draw any number of awful games.  I’ll settle for winning one once in a while.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There was a descernable difference today in that we didn't have any of the usual opposition breaks with most of our team 30 yards behind play. I'd be interested to hear from one of our forum coaches about this. It was frustrating because whilst those breaks didn't happen neither did we have many meaningful attacks. 

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

There was a descernable difference today in that we didn't have any of the usual opposition breaks with most of our team 30 yards behind play. I'd be interested to hear from one of our forum coaches about this. It was frustrating because whilst those breaks didn't happen neither did we have many meaningful attacks. 

We just made ourselves very compact within the penalty box lines and difficult to play around, hence why qpr had so much possession but for me did very little in final third. Almost like a sponge we soaked up pressure and had that one bit of quality from Sara and Hwang to win it 

Not exactly Pep Guardiola stuff from me there but that’s how I saw it, batth superb 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

We just made ourselves very compact within the penalty box lines and difficult to play around, hence why qpr had so much possession but for me did very little in final third. Almost like a sponge we soaked up pressure and had that one bit of quality from Sara and Hwang to win it 

Not exactly Pep Guardiola stuff from me there but that’s how I saw it, batth superb 

Yes I was amazed that QPR didn't seem to understand Duffy and Batth would continue to win headers in our box. They certainly didn't create much. But this getting caught on the break with most of our players behind the ball has been standard for the majority of Wagner's games.

Don't agree with the OP. It was a dreadful game to watch, but QPR certainly didn't play through our midfield in the way many teams have done this season.

Not to say they weren't threatening from wide areas (Chair), and perhaps it was down to QPR's impotence more than anything else, but I feel we did look more solid than we have done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

We weren’t harder to play through.

This is objectively untrue. Yes, we made some errors which allowed a few chances but we were generally more compact and mostly very difficult to break down. We basically shut up shop after scoring aside from a few brief forays forward towards the end. It wasn't pretty but it was reasonably pragmatic from a team low on confidence and lacking ability in the final third. 

Sadly it's quite telling of our current predicament, scrapping around for 1-0 wins against a bottom 3 team. But it beats the previous three home games. Going more defensive is definitely the right move for now. Swap Hernandez for Rowe and we might be a little more threatening on the break. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Petriix said:

This is objectively untrue. Yes, we made some errors which allowed a few chances but we were generally more compact and mostly very difficult to break down. We basically shut up shop after scoring aside from a few brief forays forward towards the end. It wasn't pretty but it was reasonably pragmatic from a team low on confidence and lacking ability in the final third. 

Sadly it's quite telling of our current predicament, scrapping around for 1-0 wins against a bottom 3 team. But it beats the previous three home games. Going more defensive is definitely the right move for now. Swap Hernandez for Rowe and we might be a little more threatening on the break. 

It's how we started the game buddy. There was no change before or after the goal.

Batth my MOTM, quite how it was awarded to Stacey when he had a torrid afternoon against Chair was baffling. Wagner changed his strategy a little to cede possession and for once his substitutions were like for like which made sense, I do wonder though whether he's been given an ultimatum by Knapper to stop the losses or else, it's back to back wins and relegation is looking very unlikely now but it was a dreadful watch yesterday. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite so. Some seem to think doing a few twiddly bits in midfield means you deserve a win.  It’s actually about scoring goals. And not conceding.  It was a game of few chances, but Long had very little to do, the sad thing is their keeper had even less but a piece of quality settled it.

We clearly need to be far better, but a win’s a win.  And I don’t find that remotely embarrassing - I find it more embarrassing that some can’t accept it, and always seem to wallow in it when we win without playing at our best.  I’ve been going to games for 40+ years and seen us win, lose, draw any number of awful games.  I’ll settle for winning one once in a while.

A win is a win. I accept that. But it should not be used to justify Wagner remaining in post or to delay taking action. We lose that game to nearly any other champ side yesterday. They had at least 3 good chances that they should have scored from. He’s just making stuff up with this “harder to play against” nonsense. It tells me he does not know how to improve us. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Batth my MOTM, quite how it was awarded to Stacey when he had a torrid afternoon against Chair was baffling. Wagner changed his strategy a little to cede possession and for once his substitutions were like for like which made sense, I do wonder though whether he's been given an ultimatum by Knapper to stop the losses or else, it's back to back wins and relegation is looking very unlikely now but it was a dreadful watch yesterday. 

Glad to hear Batth playing well. Two starts, two wins. Mind boggling how he was ignored for so long..

10 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

I think Knapper has had an early word. Our goals against is clearly a stat that needs addressing.

Credit to Wagner I suppose, but it wasn't a great watch. Essentially a flat 442. 

We pressed much better after we scored but 2nd half allowed them a lot of the ball. Unfortunately our players weren't effective enough to launch any counter attacks. We missed Rowe and Placheta today.

QPR looked pretty toothless tbh.

1 hour ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

If there was a deduction for being negative and dull…maybe.

Some supporters would genuinely relish that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

A win is a win. I accept that. But it should not be used to justify Wagner remaining in post or to delay taking action. We lose that game to nearly any other champ side yesterday. They had at least 3 good chances that they should have scored from. He’s just making stuff up with this “harder to play against” nonsense. It tells me he does not know how to improve us. 

He isn't making stuff up. It's the least a side has created against us in about 13 games. 

It doesn't make the performance good but they didn't have 3 chances they "should" have scored from.

image.thumb.png.8d708e5631d5a2357b423c64e046fd14.png

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He isn't making stuff up. It's the least a side has created against us in about 13 games. 

It doesn't make the performance good but they didn't have 3 chances they "should" have scored from.

image.thumb.png.8d708e5631d5a2357b423c64e046fd14.png

It’s also QPR,  and our clean sheet says more about them. Wagner hasn’t changed anything tactically. As the OP says, Wagner is being opportunistic. 

Wagner knows only one way of playing, that much is undeniable. 

If we did somehow get promoted then do you think that playing expansive possession based football would keep us up? Considering a lot of teams would rip us to shreads on the counter attack why not start to be solid at the back and concede possession in areas that won't hurt us. It wasn't great to watch yesterday but if it makes us more solid then who are we to argue. We haven't been good enough defensively in our last Premier league campaigns so it could be that DW is trying something more suitable to where we are as a club. QPR did have a couple of chances but nothing drastic so maybe using QPR as a starting point for a more counter attacking/defensive display allowed room for mistakes. Not saying I'm right but just giving another view 🤓

42 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

It’s also QPR,  and our clean sheet says more about them. Wagner hasn’t changed anything tactically. As the OP says, Wagner is being opportunistic. 

Wagner knows only one way of playing, that much is undeniable. 

I'm not saying QPR aren't also poor, I'm not saying we weren't poor. But if people couldn't see such an obvious tactical change yesterday (which again, doesn't mean we weren't poor) then they're literally never going to see when a manager changes something. It was pretty drastic.

• Like 1