Sooty57

Should Wagner stay?

Right, here we go, tin hat on and ready for the flack. Before we go any further, I do NOT for one moment think that David Wagner is the manager to take this club forward BUT........

Even the most yellow and green bespectacled fan would have to admit that we are hardly the most exciting prospect for an even half-decent manager with ambition. This is particularly true if, as many continually insist, we have bought rubbish players for the past few seasons and the board won't make any funds available to improve the squad, and will probably have to sell our best players to survive. Grabbing the first out of work manager with any sort of history has not worked before, so why do many seem to think it will work now? 

We have a new sporting director starting on Monday, who we hope will be a great asset to our club going forward. Do we really want to force him into such a major decision this early in his tenure, just so we can slag him off when/if it goes wrong? Our downturn in form seemed to largely coincide with injuries to key players, most of whom are on the way back soon. This division is so tight that a decent run can shoot you back into playoff contention very quickly, at which point the managerial job seems a lot more attractive.

Would it not be better to hang on the Wagner at least until January, which would also give Ben Knapper a better chance to assess the best course of action to move the club forward?

Edited by Sooty57
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

Right, here we go, tin hat on and ready for the flack. Before we go any further, I do NOT for one moment think that David Wagner is the manager to take this club forward BUT........

Even the most yellow and green bespectacled fan would have to admit that we are hardly the most exciting prospect for an even half-decent manager with ambition. This is particularly true if, as many continually insist, we have bought rubbish players for the past few seasons and the board won't make any funds available to improve the squad, and will probably have to sell our best players to survive. Grabbing the first out of work manager with any sort of history has not worked before, so why do many seem to think it will work now? 

We have a new sporting director starting on Monday, who we hope will be a great asset to our club going forward. Do we really want to force him into such a major decision this early in his tenure, just so we can slag him off when/if it goes wrong? Our downturn in form seemed to largely coincide with injuries to key players, most of whom are on the way back soon. This division is so tight that a decent run can shoot you back into playoff contention very quickly, at which point the managerial job seems a lot more attractive.

Would it not be better to hang on the Wagner at least until January, which we also give Ben Knapper a better chance to assess the best course of action to move the club forward?

I appreciate your efforts,  but your question is binary and I can't reciprocate to your verbosity so I'll say: No. 

1 minute ago, Jason Shackell’s Limp Tack said:

I appreciate your efforts,  but your question is binary and I can't reciprocate to your verbosity so I'll say: No. 

You are Stephen Fry and I claim my £5

• Haha 2

We've been told Knapper impressed in the interview and had strong ideas

Presumably this means he has a vision of how he wants the team to play. 

I can't see why he would want to keep a manager appointed by his predecessor who has a very specific and idiosyncratic style. 

I'd have thought he already knows who he wants and it won't just be some unemployed manager, but a coach somewhere (maybe Arsenal) that has what Knapper's looking for. 

Just like Webber did with Farke

I suspect he'll get rid of Wagner as soon as he can / as soon as the person he's after is available

Edited by Chichcan

4 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

I'd have thought he already knows who he wants and it won't just be some unemployed manager, but a coach somewhere (maybe Arsenal) that has what Knapper's looking for. 

If that is indeed the case, I have absolutely no problem with Wagner's departure. I just don't want fan disquiet to force the new guy into a position where he feels obliged to make a knee-jerk appointment.

Edited by Sooty57
  • Like 3

I like Webber Wagner; I think he's the kind of personality I like to see as Head Coach... not sure if he has it to get the results though but I'd really like it to work out for him.
Even if Dean Smith were getting the results, I didn't think he was a good fit for Norwich. He was and always will be a Villa man.

Edited by K Lo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, K Lo said:

I like Webber; I think he's the kind of personality I like to see as Head Coach... not sure if he has it to get the results though but I'd really like it to work out for him.

Do you mean Wagner?

"the board won't make any funds available" Sooty

Pray tell us where these funds are, that are not forthcoming ?

4 minutes ago, Sooty57 said:

Do you mean Wagner?

Yes. My bad !!
Thanks.
I'll edit the original.

Clearly that Norwich win has made me go all giddy.

Edited by K Lo

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

"the board won't make any funds available" Sooty

Pray tell us where these funds are, that are not forthcoming ?

If you read my post correctly you will realise that I am merely repeating some of the things others are saying, not making accusations myself.

1 minute ago, K Lo said:

Yes. My bad !!
I'll edit the original.

I like him too, seems a nice bloke...... I just don't think he will take this club very far.

• Like 1

Not really. If he doesn’t get sacked over the international break then I think he has to start a decent run from this win, picking up about 10 points from the next 5 games as just 2 wins in 11 games is just not acceptable

9 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Not really. If he doesn’t get sacked over the international break then I think he has to start a decent run from this win, picking up about 10 points from the next 5 games as just 2 wins in 11 games is just not acceptable

he only has to sort the defence out.
Even with Sergent and Barnes out, we're still scoring enough, or thereabouts.

If 'No' means Carlos Cuesta then yeah possibly (but would prefer Schumacher).

If 'No' means Jack Wilshere then I might start smoking.

We can’t continue playing this way so he has to go sadly. Our defence is shocking. We’ve conceded so many goals this season when we have more men back than the opposition have attackers.No evidence of this changing anytime soon. 

This does feel like a mini world cup break of  last year coming up .

Last year the club mistakenly allowed Smith that month, when in hindsight it was the perfect chance to appoint a new manager

Similarly , I fear that by a couple of games after this break , we'll also look back at 2 wasted weeks

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Jason Shackell’s Limp Tack said:

No, I'm less gay, less intelligent, possibly less good looking, less fun and certainly less Wagner. 

You might be less gay, probably less intelligent,  could be less fun but humour is in the beholder but good looking I’m sure you’re light years ahead and who could really be for. Wagner after todays original starting line up

3 minutes ago, astro said:

We can’t continue playing this way so he has to go sadly. Our defence is shocking. We’ve conceded so many goals this season when we have more men back than the opposition have attackers.No evidence of this changing anytime soon. 

Why sadly

Clueless

Lucky win today still be in a relegation fight

1 hour ago, Sooty57 said:

Would it not be better to hang on the Wagner at least until January, which would also give Ben Knapper a better chance to assess the best course of action to move the club forward?

I totally agree, if I was knapper the last thing I would want to do first is sack the manager, unless I had the perfect option sat waiting for my call.

Most managers want a hundred days to make a difference, if the problem isn’t the coach why waste your time there.

Personally I like Wagner, I think he has a plan.  The issue is that the plan includes a huge gap in centre midfield when the ball is turned over, which makes winning football games tough.  So perhaps there is a way to close that gap and stick with the Wagner way.  

Wagner's appointment always felt like a lazy one for me, especially now knowing that Webber handed in his notice in March. If I was Knapper I would want to draw a line under Webber's reign, and the best way to do that is by bringing in his own choice for Manager. It kind of feels like a no brainer, given how the season has panned out so far.

1 hour ago, K Lo said:

he only has to sort the defence out.
Even with Sergent and Barnes out, we're still scoring enough, or thereabouts.

He sorted the defence today by dropping both full backs and then had to bring them on at half time!

• Haha 1

We won today in spite of, not because of Wagner’s decision-making. It was no less a false dawn than the Birmingham win was. 

• Like 1

Has to go. Scraped a win yesterday to make it 4 points from 21 available since the end of September.. 

Keeps making repeatedly poor choices, has done nothing to suggest he can take us forwards. Should never have sacked Farke without a long term plan in place. Hopefully Knapper can put that right again