Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Webber’s Legacy

Some will plump for the huge existing debt, SoccerBot 360 or even the Colney allotment. What will be your cherished memories of Stu’s time at Carrow Road? 

2 title winning seasons, including my favourite ever season (18-19), Pukki, Buendia, Krul (and literally every player from that 2018-19 season), Sara, Rowe (if he counts?), improvements in the infrastructure.

Those things outweigh the (albeit glaring) negatives for me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It would be churlish to disregard what he did achieve here and there was a time when his honest and open interviews were welcomed. 

I hope he's learned a few life lessons however and takes them into whatever new adventure awaits him. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Being arrogant, toxic and alienating the supporters. Glad he is going sooner than planned and hope he never returns. 

TOP , TOP  accurate 📫 post. All of the above and more. Absolute Tòśśer . Good riddance,  to the charlatan, chancer, con man. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Canarywary said:

2 title winning seasons, including my favourite ever season (18-19), Pukki, Buendia, Krul (and literally every player from that 2018-19 season), Sara, Rowe (if he counts?), improvements in the infrastructure.

Those things outweigh the (albeit glaring) negatives for me.

Nice to have some balance but it’s been a slippery slope for the last few seasons.

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Some will plump for the huge existing debt, SoccerBot 360 or even the Colney allotment. What will be your cherished memories of Stu’s time at Carrow Road? 

The win over Man City - the only one we’ll probably ever get over them in the rest of our lifetimes. In fairness to Webber he helped build that. 
And then went on to stay far far too long and in part destroy everything that had come before. 

They say all political lives end in failure, and it applies pretty well to football. Doncaster and McNally both had good early years but later failures. And it's the same for Webber, which skews perceptions of his record. For me he is overall still just in credit.

• Like 9

I said not too long ago it would be a sad day when he left, but since then he's shown his continued failings in the role and the accounts have laid bare just what a cluster **** that last season in the Premiership really was. 

So I've totally changed my mind and can't wait to see the back of him to be frank.

He's messed it up badly and on balance comes out about even. Some great times but he leaves us worse than he found us. McNally was comfortably superior in the role.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

They say all political lives end in failure, and it applies pretty well to football. Doncaster and McNally both had good early years but later failures. And it's the same for Webber, which skews perceptions of his record. For me he is overall still just in credit.

This. We've seen it before with Mcnally. Had a big effect to start with but ut gradually fell apart with a similar kind of fall from grace. But like McNally, you can't take away the success we had with him. Never forget 18/19 or 20/21. We wouldn't have had the Farke years without him. 

• Like 1

I'd add that if his role in the Colney redevelopment helps us sign the best young players not hoovered up by the biggest clubs, it adds to his credits. 

Irrespective of any new money Attanasio may inject, finding and attracting the very best youngsters we can has to be the bedrock going forward. 

4 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Nope. I won’t. Bye bye.

I was actually being tongue in cheek and not tongue down the back of his trousers....I'll leave that adulation of stu for the resident club lickspittles.....

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Good post.

But don’t agree Webber has credit. He promised a football structure, with interchangeable managers and continuity with style and identity. Ultimately, that was all hot air.

He made two stunning signings in Pukki and Buendia, which made him. He takes the credit for that, and for the success of 18/19 and 20/21. But for those 2 successful seasons, we’ve had 4 disastrous ones and he ends his reign with the club in a worse a position than when he arrived, and a non existent relationship with the fans. I can’t see how he can be in credit.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1

I think there will be a lot of people who will forget the initial years of success in the role and focus on the last few seasons, which have seen a number of mistakes. 

It will be a mixed legacy in my book...

1. In his first few years, his no nonsense drive for better standards saw the facilities and academy set up improve in a major way. Knapper has 99 problems but facilities ain't one.
  2. He defined a footballing philosophy and brought in the Farke to deliver it. His use of German markets in recruitment was very successful.
  3. Under his stewardship, we saw probably the most joyous season in the last 30 years IMO.
  4. Post Brexit, his proactivity in setting up operations in South America has and will reap dividends.
  5. The recruitment in Premier seasons was very poor. I understand it is hard to spend beer money in a champagne bar but even with that in mind, he gave Farke a poor set of cards to play.
  6. Once his methods were questioned, his behaviour became childish and in some ways cowardly. The no nonsense approach became more of a hinderance after this point.
  7. The football philosophy left with Farke and it is hard to see consistency in approach in the last two seasons.
  8. He previously sold players at good prices but this last season has seen some fire sales and selling at the wrong time.
  9. His exit from the club has been bizarrely drawn out but it's hard to tell whether that is a board problem or a Webber problem. He leaves the club in crisis, if he takes the credit for the Farke years, he ultimately has to take substantial blame for the current predicament.

Edited by hertfordyellow
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I think there will be a lot of people who will forget the initial years of success in the role and focus on the last few seasons, which have seen a number of mistakes. 

1. In his first few years, his no nonsense drive for better standards saw the facilities and academy set up improve in a major way. Knapper has 99 problems but facilities ain't one.
  2. He defined a footballing philosophy and brought in the Farke to deliver it. His use of German markets in recruitment was very successful.
  3. Under his stewardship, we saw probably the most joyous season in the last 30 years IMO.
  4. Post Brexit, his proactivity in setting up operations in South America has and will reap dividends.
  5. The recruitment in Premier seasons was very poor. I understand it is hard to spend beer money in a champagne bar but even with that in mind, he gave Farke a poor set of cards to play.
  6. Once his methods were questioned, his behaviour became childish and in some ways cowardly. The no nonsense approach became more of a hinderance after this point.
  7. The football philosophy left with Farke and it is hard to see consistency in approach in the last two seasons.
  8. He previously sold players at good prices but this last season has seen some fire sales and selling at the wrong time.
  9. His exit from the club has been bizarrely drawn out but it's hard to tell whether that is a board problem or a Webber problem. He leaves the club in crisis, if he takes the credit for the Farke years, he ultimately has to take substantial blame for the current predicament.

That's very fair.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What will be your cherished memories of Stu’s time at Carrow Road? 

The two Championship wins playing the best football seen by a Norwich team since the 1990s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The two Championship wins playing the best football seen by a Norwich team since the 1990s.

Yeah, this basically.

It isn't ending well but for me football is all about creating memories and those two seasons were brilliant for that. 

In 10 years time when I'm teaching my sons about Norwich City history I'm not going to digging out the accounts to discuss debt levels or wage to turnover ratios.

• Like 2

He's presided over us and we've now gone from a Yo-yo to a Lo-lo club....and sadly back to where we were before if not worse....

Got too big for his mountain boots.....

1 hour ago, hertfordyellow said:

Can't argue with any of that, although I guess some will.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Best memories; Some shrewd signings of players.

Worsr Parts; A lot of ****e has come through the door

His ignorance

Wasted money on general crap