Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Contracts up in 2024

Following on from @PurpleCanary posting about what we'll look like in Jan 24, I was thinking about what we'll look like come June 24.

The amount of contracts ending isn't anywhere near the exodus we saw last season but it does contain some names that have been here a fair while.

*indicates we hold an option for another year.

Giannoulis

Gibson

McCallum

Placheta

Sorenson*

Foreshaw*

Batth*

This includes all three of our current leftbacks, both our recognised DM's and two of our four experienced central defenders. I'd imagine Dimi and Gibson are pretty high earners. These players also cost us north of £20m reportedly and may all leave for nothing, which isn't ideal.

Is there anyone here we'll keep? McCallum feels like someone we might want to keep due to his age and the fee we paid for him but he's never really kicked on. 

I’d second that, Soldier, the only ones worth keeping is McCallum, I’d like to say Sorensen too but he’s always injured!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

Would let them all go including Dimi who has been responsible for quite a few of the easy goals we've shipped over the last few years. Gibson, Dimi, Placheta, McCallum etc are decent Championship players but not at the wages we're paying them and the new SD deserves to be able to put his stamp on things alongside the new head coach so we need to ship out everyone we're currently over paying for even if they can do a job at this level because we have to get the wage bill down to give us some room to maneuver in the summer window.  

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Would let them all go including Dimi who has been responsible for quite a few of the easy goals we've shipped over the last few years. Gibson, Dimi, Placheta, McCallum etc are decent Championship players but not at the wages we're paying them and the new SD deserves to be able to put his stamp on things alongside the new head coach so we need to ship out everyone we're currently over paying for even if they can do a job at this level because we have to get the wage bill down to give us some room to maneuver in the summer window.  

What with the financial results just released, the drop in revenues, the mortgaged parachute payments and that Knapper is a loans expert it isnt hard to imagine what the transfer windows will look like going forwards. Mr Knapper AKA the loan ranger filling the squad with these

Good luck to all of them. If Dimi can turn his form around under a new system, perhaps offer a new contract, but that's about it. 

I don’t think we should keep a single one personally, time to freshen up this squad and not one of those players has proven indispensable.

11 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Good luck to all of them. If Dimi can turn his form around under a new system, perhaps offer a new contract, but that's about it. 

I think Dimi is a tidy footballer but a full back he is not there must be better out there.

If Dimi is a full back he needs investigating under the trades descriptions act. Can be decent going fwd but can't tackle.

1 minute ago, canarycop said:

If Dimi is a full back he needs investigating under the trades descriptions act. Can be decent going fwd but can't tackle.

He was a disgrace yesterday. Weak as p1ss.

McCallum wanted to leave before the window shut and Wagner told him he was not part of his plans. Very nearly went to Swansea I believe. So unless we get a new manager I very much doubt he will be hanging around. 

Gibson on big big wages and misses family up in the north east so don’t think either party will likely be looking to renew. 

Dimi has sadly been a huge let down as a player. Came with a relatively big reputation but has never delivered. Not sure he is really cut out for English football as pretty mentally and physically weak. 

Forshaw and Batth were both stop gaps that currently haven’t  worked for one reason or another so look every bit panic buys by a distracted Sporting Director. 

Sorenson has flattered to deceive, has never broken into the team unless we have an injury crisis, even then he seems to be made of glass himself so again imagine he will depart. 

Seems strange to think/say it but Placheta looks the most likely to have a chance of staying but depends on his wages, if he’s on big wages I imagine we will cut and run and give the likes of Abu Kamera his squad spot. 

Edited by The Dog
  • Like 2

Giannoulis and especially Gibson got their permanent moves on the back of performances in empty stadiums. These could have been through terms of the original loans or how they performed on the pitch. However Giannoulis and especially Gibson have never performed to that level in front of expectant supporters. It really is a different game in front of fans both home and away.

Edited by nutty nigel

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'd get shot of them all. They either cost too much, ****e/inconsistent or are always injured, or all of the above.

Captain - you've turned into Mr Angry in recent days and weeks! Has made me chuckle 🙂

• Haha 1

Gini is one of those players who is great to watch when the team is playing well, just look at posts literally this season as examples.

Problem is when we arent playing well his is one of the first heads to drop.

Wait and see who the new manager is. With a new boss and new system some may come good while others fall by the wayside 

Giannoulis I think would have been long gone this year (the purported interest being from Russia might have swayed his decision). Back to Greece I reckon.

Sorenson is everyone's favourite reserve player. Never troubled a starting place in a side desperate for midfield strength, and now more surgery on the horizon. Time to part ways.

McCallum is similar to JLS in that he's never held down a starting place, but did win QPRs young POTS in his season there in the ensuing time. Heard rumours that our reluctance to use him under Wagner is due to impending owed appearance money to Cov. Think he would have a use but I think the player wouldn't risk another season in reserve.

Gibson, he must have had enough now. Been the fans non-favourite ever since returning from that nasty injury, he must sense the palpable anxiety around the ground whenever the ball comes near. The bell tolls.

Forshaw and Batth must be wondering what on earth they've come into. Both wages will be considerable I imagine, both will look to depart unless regular starters by May IMO.

Placheta can stay. He's like a very fast comedy relief pug.

It might not be a popular decision but I think it would be worth trying to negotiate with Gibson. Would he prepared to take a significant pay cut to stay at the club? I’m not convinced he would be able to get his current Norwich wages somewhere else.Left footed, ball playing centre half’s don’t grow on trees.

Placheta is an interesting one has looked good this season in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'd get shot of them all. They either cost too much, ****e/inconsistent or are always injured, or all of the above.

So true, get rid of all the dead wood, complete clear out needed, with new owners & coaching team,  not asking for to much!