birchfest

Has to be changes for Sunderland

Well, I’ve just about shaken off the spectacle of last night. Ultimately our form stinks, our defence is a liability, we can’t dominate the midfield and there was a lacking of spark in the final 3rd. Feel free to point out if I’ve left anyone out.

With the defence now is the time to shake it up. No giving the the back four ‘a chance to put it right’. Batth will be up for it agains this old club and know what they are all about, a perfect game to run him out on and Warner in alongside to grab the opportunity and show some pace and effort. Same with Fisher for right back who I thought shower real promise against Fulham.

If this system doesn’t require a CDM (bloody looks like it does) can we not have our most creative and talented player picking up the ball on the edge of our own area and instead give him the freedom of the number 10 role. Forshaw as a partner for McLean who will be more suited for the duel responsibilities required of the middle two. 

Finally, Sainz has to start with Rowe. We need some players to actually threaten and worry the opposition, Hernandez last night wasn’t that. 

Long

Fisher  Batth  Warner  Giannoulis

Forshaw    Mclean

Row              Sara            Sainz

Idah

vent over. Change it… or don’t be surprised when trying the same thing causes that same result.

• Like 3

We will need 2 holding midfielders against Sunderland or they will tear us one. Jack Clark would run Fisher ragged

Long 

Stacey Batth Warner Giannoulis 

Forshaw McLean 

Nunez Sara Sainz

Rowe

• Like 1

Think we all have known a change is needed in defence/central midfield/formation.

well everyone except Wagner so don’t hold your breath!

Warner has to play every game from now on out. He’s the only one we can build a team around for next year. First names on the sheet should be Warner and Rowe then anyone else as they are going to be our life blood until the inevitable cash in on them. 

8 minutes ago, canarycop said:

We will need 2 holding midfielders against Sunderland or they will tear us one. Jack Clark would run Fisher ragged

Long 

Forshaw McLean 

Nunez Sara Sainz

Rowe

Duffy instead of Warner, and I’d go with that. 

I don't think there will be any changes to the defence just yet.

I was surprised Nunez started and I'm not sure he did enough to keep his place. There's an argument for a standard 4-3-3 making the midfield more solid.

Long

Stacey  Duffy  Gibson  Giannoulis

Gibbs  McLean   Sara

Sainz   Idah  Rowe

Sunderland will come at us so I’m going for a 5-2-3

long

Stacey    Duffy.    Baath.  Gibson   Gianoulis

McClean. Forshaw

Sara.

Rowe  Idah                               

Crazy if you think that Wagner would change both centre backs! He probably will stick with the same back four 

Edited by TheBaldOne66

Long 

Forshaw McLean 

Nunez Sara Sainz

Rowe

Sunderland are a decent team but they are playing youngsters who have no fear and a manager who supports the young players. We talk so much about the quality of our u21/u23s. We spend so much of our time attracting good young players but never or rarely get to see them on a stage. If Sunderland can do this why can't we? Ogwuru, Fisher, Manning, Warner et al apparently all for the future. Well the future is here now. Only one way we will find out if they are good enough. Why are we so afraid to give them a chance ? Am not saying all at the same time but look at the impact Rowe has made when no-one expected him to and thank the Lord he has. Surely the u21 management team is pushing these players forward and if not then that is also a dereliction of duty.

• Like 1

I dont think wholesale changes are the answer, however changes do need to occur. We've already suffered a set back with Gunn, so thats a change at the back alone. I may give Gibson a rest and play Danny B. I dont agree with throwing in a youngster at this stage when the season seems a little on a knife edge as it might be too damaging for their confidence. I agree with Forshaw and Kenny, holding with Rowe, Sara and Sainz in front, which on paper looks quite good. Than Idah up front or Hwang. They both seem as useless as each other so it doesnt make much difference. I dont want a midfielder playing up front who doesnt have the positional sense to play the position i.e. Rowe.

3 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I dont think wholesale changes are the answer, however changes do need to occur. We've already suffered a set back with Gunn, so thats a change at the back alone. I may give Gibson a rest and play Danny B. I dont agree with throwing in a youngster at this stage when the season seems a little on a knife edge as it might be too damaging for their confidence. I agree with Forshaw and Kenny, holding with Rowe, Sara and Sainz in front, which on paper looks quite good. Than Idah up front or Hwang. They both seem as useless as each other so it doesnt make much difference. I dont want a midfielder playing up front who doesnt have the positional sense to play the position i.e. Rowe.

Might be too damaging for their confidence. Like the first team at the minute. Surely the joy at being picked would give them the freedom to go and play with all the confidence in the world. 

10 hours ago, Big O said:

Sunderland will come at us so I’m going for a 5-2-3

long

Stacey    Duffy.    Baath.  Gibson   Gianoulis

McClean. Forshaw

Sara.

Rowe  Idah                               

I like this idea but it won't happen unfortunately.

Just now, canarycop said:

Might be too damaging for their confidence. Like the first team at the minute. Surely the joy at being picked would give them the freedom to go and play with all the confidence in the world. 

I suppose its 50/50 which way it could go. You can see it from both angles.

11 minutes ago, canarycop said:

Long 

Forshaw McLean 

Nunez Sara Sainz

Rowe

yes i would go with that no point going with the same team we have seen what happens with that ,

Warner bit of Pace 

i like Rowe up front but his form and best work has been coming in from wing 

maybe try it once and see how it goes might be the making of him in a new role or we can swap him back to wing if it does not work out ,

as for Jack Clarke why he ended up at Sunderland when we were chasing Rashica and Tzolis i will never know 

Our defence does have little pace in the central areas, but pace at wingbacks albeit Dimi cant tackle for toffee. We probably should Duffy with someone quicker who can provide cover.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

In terms of something almost-plausible to happen, I'd go for:

1390479521_lineup(4).png.a684654583d0001799d2f484623a62de.png

Genuine question. Do you think Gibson is better than Duffy or do you think we would opt for Gibson as left footed?

2 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Genuine question. Do you think Gibson is better than Duffy or do you think we would opt for Gibson as left footed?

I think Gibson has been better than Duffy this season, and literally every single stat I can find backs that up. Not only is he a much better passer of the ball than Duffy, but he's also made far less errors leading directly to goals.

• Like 2

The main thing that matters to me is seeing something to address the failing centre. Stop playing as if we can just batter our way through teams.

Forshaw and McLean with Sara making a 3 but the latter to concentrate on playing in the oppositions half. Rowe + A. Nother in attacking midfield- I personally would go with Fassnacht to get the ball to stick higher up the pitch- and Idah up top. I'd like to see Hwang get a non-Plymouth start so we can see if he actually has anything at all, but we don't really have time for that now. I'd also be getting Batth in but personally it's a 50/50 for which current incumbent.

I've only seen Forshaw once, which was against Leeds, he shouldn't be anywhere near our first team. His attempts at keeping up with every Leeds attempt was embarrassing, it was like he was running through treacle backwards. We must have someone in the U23s who can do a better job. 

How about...

Long

Duffy  Baath  Gibson

Stacey  Forshaw  McLean  Giannoulis

Sara

Idah   Rowe

...we simply must come up with a way of being solid and stop conceding 20 chances every game.

• Like 1

Batth will not want to be picked so he can keep picking up his large salary and keep his reputation intact.  By playing for this ever failing defence he will come in for crticism and oppobrium.  Danny doesn't need the hassle and Wagner not interested so why play when you are being ignored.

This is man management of the calibre managed by Farke.  We really want to know how bad he really is can he be worse than the other two.

Long   

Duffy      Gibson     Warner

Stacey                                          Giannoulis

Forshaw  McClean

Sara

Nunez

Idah

As solid as possible centrally. Wingback offering width with Nunez and Sara concentrating on unlocking defences..

So many people still think Idah is a striker!?! He should not even be in the squad let alone on the team sheet. He spent all his time on the pitch hiding from the ball and when he did accidentally get given the ball his first touch was normally appalling . His attitude was that of a spoilt brat (especially when substituted) and was seen too often trying to coach Nunez on how he should be playing. I would pick ABI (Anyone But Idah).

• Like 1