Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Here’s what is missing

You look at Ipswich and they remind me of us under Lambert- over performing because they are hungry. They want it! 

You look at us and Onel, Kenny, placheta, Duffy, Barnes, Gunn, McCallum, long, giannoulis, Stacey, foreshaw, gibbo, Hanley, idah, hwang, and a few others - ALL know they are NOT good enough for the Prem. ergo - I think there is a lack of real hunger. 

Like the board there is no real appetite for promotion for many of our players. They are good on their day- but not massively motivated to prove themselves - most of them know their best days are behind them. 

I think it is showing. Oh and add the manager to that list - and the board! 

Edited by Dean Coneys boots
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You look at Ipswich and they remind me of us under Lambert- over performing because they are hungry. They want it! 

You look at us and Onel, Kenny, placheta, Duffy, Barnes, Gunn, McCallum, long, giannoulis, Stacey, foreshaw, gibbo, Hanley, idah, hwang, and a few others - ALL know they are NOT good enough for the Prem. ergo - I think there is a lack of real hunger. 

Like the board there is no real appetite for promotion for many of our players. They are good on their day- but not massively motivated to prove themselves - most of them know their best days are behind them. 

I think it is showing. Oh and add the manager to that list - and the board! 

And the fans apparently. There's been threads about it.

Of course, we've been and done it several times back-to-back so it holds nowhere near the same level of drive as seeking promotion for the first time in decades.  That's just a given, and we all had a level of expectation to bounce straight back going into last season - so it's a completely different mindset to recover from that failure that it is when you're bouncing upwards.

The club no doubt seeks prem league money and that's their hunger, whereas we're concentrated on the sporting/competitive aspect of it and that's ours.

Trouble is, it's such a money dominated sport now.  We're showing the scars of twice being burnt and watching a coach who we loved get dismissed as it just didn't work at that level, it's been soul destroying really.

But, in my opinion we've got a real shout at getting promoted this season, if we can keep around the top half of the table until the injuries start to improve.  The drop-off in results since Sarge and Barnes were injured is clear to see, And we're yet to see what Sainz can bring who was one of the more hopeful signings this season.

We're concerned at being 1 point off 6th place,  playing our 3rd and 4th choice forwards.  Things really aren't all that bad, just give it time and hold your nerve!  We're one of the better teams in this league, provided that luck evens out on the injury front.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wages more than doubling probably a pretty good motivator even if that was the case. What we're missing right now isn't a hunger anyway, it's our 2 best strikers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Nice to see you’ve stuck your head up above the pulpit again. 

Sheesh give it a rest man. Maybe ask yourself why my being a Christian triggers you so much? Why so bigoted? I thought inclusion was important these days - not snide attacks in every post you make. 

Edited by Dean Coneys boots

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Sheesh give it a rest man. Maybe ask yourself why my being a Christian triggers you so much? Why so bigoted? I thought inclusion was important these days - not snide attacks in every post you make. 

I’m guessing Dunc works permanent nights as most of his ‘witty’ posts pop up after 02.00hrs. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

And the fans apparently. There's been threads about it.

Agreed. Fans are the real problem at this club. Need to get new ones.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Wages more than doubling probably a pretty good motivator even if that was the case. What we're missing right now isn't a hunger anyway, it's our 2 best strikers.

Trouble is I doubt our players wages have more than halved on account of relegation. I suspect Duffy and Barnes haven't taken massive pay cuts either.

I think it's natural to assume a player never having been through relegation, or been in the EPL at all will have a bit more drive to get there. Same may be true of the coaching team.

It's not a criticism of our players, it's just a natural reaction. In my mind we're still a transfer window or two away from Wagner having the right squad for the job.

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Trouble is I doubt our players wages have more than halved on account of relegation. I suspect Duffy and Barnes haven't taken massive pay cuts either.

I think it's natural to assume a player never having been through relegation, or been in the EPL at all will have a bit more drive to get there. Same may be true of the coaching team.

It's not a criticism of our players, it's just a natural reaction. In my mind we're still a transfer window or two away from Wagner having the right squad for the job.

Yep. I'd generally say a manager needs three windows, and ideally two pre-seasons. Good luck to any club trying to keep slightly restless fans onside that long in a sporting environment that demands success yesterday - and where a hell of a lot of money is at stake.

It's October so we know two things.

1) If we're doing well, DCB has disappeared by this point only to return if we have a temporary drop in form over christmas. If we recover, he's gone again.

2) If we're not doing so well, DCB is here to tell us all the players, staff, management and board need changing.

Repeat every year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Amen. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Big Vince said:

Agreed. Fans are the real problem at this club. Need to get new ones.

Well this really is a rumun old kettle of fish!

If the board, the staff, the coaches, the players and the fans are the problem the solution seems blindingly obvious to me. 

26 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well this really is a rumun old kettle of fish!

If the board, the staff, the coaches, the players and the fans are the problem the solution seems blindingly obvious to me. 

Soccerbot got off lightly...

• Haha 2

I think the key difference between us and them is they have a quality up and coming coach and we do not. I don't think Ipswich have very many top quality players for this level but McKenna has them performing well above their level, combined with the momentum from promotion. I have concerns about our squad but that's more to do with how it will limit opportunities for young players and make it harder to evolve it in the years to come.

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Soccerbot got off lightly...

I can see it now. As Stu leaves, he's going to disassemble soccerbot with spanners and a set of allen keys. Then a voice will say 'What are you doing Stuart'. The players outside will be jumping up and down with femur bones, goading each other into a fight. With Also Sprach Zarathustra booming out. Everything stops, in walks Ben. 

18 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Nice to see you’ve stuck your head up above the pulpit again. 

That would be parapet not pulpit!

13 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

That would be parapet not pulpit!

Depends who you’re preaching too! 😂😂

16 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Where has it ever been said that the board have no appetite for promotion?

In his original post, twice in fact... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Why do you think it's about being Christian? There are other Christians here, yet they don't get the reaction you do...

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Why do you think it's about being Christian? There are other Christians here, yet they don't get the reaction you do...

Surprising reaction from Mr Boots. I have many Christians in my family including formerly prominent members of the Church. I suppose, as with anything, Christianity is how you interpret it. Jacob Rees-Mogg is a committed Christian but I find him, his views, beliefs and definition of his faith totally offensive. How anyone claiming to be a Christian could back the kind of policies that he does beggars belief. Mr Boots is similarly aligned having viewed previous posts and his footballing posts appear to find nothing good in anyone. Just a constant entitlement to something “better”. More money. Someone richer. Seems at odds to me with being a man of the cloth, but football is an emotive subject and being rational isn’t always obvious.

As for being a victim, perhaps he’s a Scousetrian. There was no attack at all. As with so many right-wingers though, bit of whataboutery and chuck in a victim card; licence to spout any old b0ll0cks.

Midlands, I know you’ll be clock watching, I’ve been on duty since 08:25 this morning. Are you falling out of the BerStrete Gates yet? Mind your swede. 

6 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Surprising reaction from Mr Boots. I have many Christians in my family including formerly prominent members of the Church. I suppose, as with anything, Christianity is how you interpret it. Jacob Rees-Mogg is a committed Christian but I find him, his views, beliefs and definition of his faith totally offensive. How anyone claiming to be a Christian could back the kind of policies that he does beggars belief. Mr Boots is similarly aligned having viewed previous posts and his footballing posts appear to find nothing good in anyone. Just a constant entitlement to something “better”. More money. Someone richer. Seems at odds to me with being a man of the cloth, but football is an emotive subject and being rational isn’t always obvious.

As for being a victim, perhaps he’s a Scousetrian. There was no attack at all. As with so many right-wingers though, bit of whataboutery and chuck in a victim card; licence to spout any old b0ll0cks.

Midlands, I know you’ll be clock watching, I’ve been on duty since 08:25 this morning. Are you falling out of the BerStrete Gates yet? Mind your swede. 

Good morning Duncan, thanks for the mention. I’m full of admiration for your devotion to work and am trying to guess what job you might do. I’ll plump for some kind of agricultural graft, am I on the right track? 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

9 hours ago, chicken said:

I believe it was a pun, as you used the word 'pulpit' in error.