Canary Pie

your suggestions to fix english football

English football is not healthy: club finances are often terrible, player injury rates are high and some club owners are terrible human beings. What are your suggestions to make things better.

Mine would be:

1) reduce the top three tiers to 16 teams each. this would reduce the number of games and hopefully injury rate.

2)  spread the TV revenues between the top three tiers something like 60:25:15. this would make finances in the lower tiers more viable.

3) hard wage caps in each tier. Also good for financial viability.

4) max overseas ownership level of 30%.

5) Ditch the Carabao cup.

Edited by Canary Pie
op is stupid

Don't allow people like Ethics to own shares in footy clubs. ...or to post on Club Forums..... Footy would improve tenfold as a consequence. 

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Don't allow people like Ethics to own shares in footy clubs. ...or to post on Club Forums..... Footy would improve tenfold as a consequence. 

Essex is weird but you're absolute obsession with him on threads he has nothing to do with is almost as weird. Get a life.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Essex is weird but you're absolute obsession with him on threads he has nothing to do with is almost as weird. Get a life.

It's not an obsession its a public duty, it occupies  a few minutes a day. No need to thank me. My life is fine thanks.  My posts are a counterpoint to his whining on every thread about his own ACTUAL obsession. 

PS  mind your own.

PPS . Lie with dogs...get fleas. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

A minimum of 3 English players in the starting XI for every team.

Reduce the number of substitutions and size of bench.

• Like 3

Because all we do is moan about it. We are all guilty of sustaining the current regimes in football. FIFA at the top has replaced corrupt officials with the same. Maybe not as financially but corrupt all the same. UEFA is quite happy to sit tight and wait for the Super League which at the moment is called the Champions League. The EPL is quite happy while all the big clubs are still assured they won't be touched. Are ManC bricking it? I don't think so. A fine, which their owners will pay.

I have SKY. And quite happy to pay £26 for a ticket while the chaps on the pitch get £20-£40K a week, in the second division, even though we know they aren't worth it and the club would lose a fortune if it wasn't for TV money. But the players have contracts we are told.

The only protest I can remember that succeeded was the Poll Tax disobedience. But who won't go to the match? Who will cancel SKY? It will be the usual Yes . . .but

24 minutes ago, Canary Pie said:

English football is not healthy: club finances are often terrible, player injury rates are high and some club owners are terrible human beings. What are your suggestions to make things better.

Mine would be:

1) reduce the top three tiers to 16 teams each. this would reduce the number of games and hopefully injury rate.

2)  spread the TV revenues between the top three tiers something like 60:25:15. this would make finances in the lower tiers more viable.

3) hard wage caps in each tier. Also good for financial viability.

4) max overseas ownership level of 30%.

5) Ditch the Carabao cup.

I think you'd need the TV rate to be more even to reduce the financial cliff edge of relegation. Maybe something like 50/30/20.

Salary caps are needed- I'm assuming the claim they are illegal is based on the idea of capping an individuals possible salary rather than a cap on how much a club can spend on its wage budget. The issue is obviously that other countries would then pay more and scoop up the talent though.

Honestly I'd go much further though. Get rid of transfer fees (players can move in swaps or at the end of contracts), far increased revenue sharing, mandated % of fan ownership and strict squad size limits.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

It's not an obsession its a public duty, it occupies  a few minutes a day. No need to thank me. My life is fine thanks.  My posts are a counterpoint to his whining on every thread about his own ACTUAL obsession. 

PS  mind your own. 

If someone took a look at your posts I'd wager north of 75% of them would be in reply to or about Essex. It's ****ing tiresome, especially when you're clearly baiting him by mentioning him on stuff he has nothing to do with so yet another thread gets dragged off track. 

Have you asked the 'public' whether we want or need this particularly bat**** service you've chosen to supply?

• Like 1

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

We though we wouldn't get any foreign players after Brexit. Yet it was reported 19 players from our club were in international squads of some sort during the last international break. So foreign players will dominate into the future. And they will never agree to any restrictions.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

If someone took a look at your posts I'd wager north of 75% of them would be in reply to or about Essex. It's ****ing tiresome, especially when you're clearly baiting him by mentioning him on stuff he has nothing to do with so yet another thread gets dragged off track. 

Have you asked the 'public' whether we want or need this particularly bat**** service you've chosen to supply?

No need. I get private messages and a salary from ZW to keep up the good work . But thanks for caring about him, someone has to I suppose.

PS Block me. 

PPS.  I dont care what you or anyone else thinks. 

PPS. You may well be correct about the 75% in recent times, but only since he started his 100% whingefest. ..again, I care not.  Nor do I apologise unless  wrong. In this case I am correct . Thank You for your concern . 

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

We though we wouldn't get any foreign players after Brexit. Yet it was reported 19 players from our club were in international squads of some sort during the last international break. So foreign players will dominate into the future. And they will never agree to any restrictions.

Probably not but the frustrating thing is nobody (club) is going to agree to anything that makes them weaker no matter how good the suggestion is. 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Probably not but the frustrating thing is nobody (club) is going to agree to anything that makes them weaker no matter how good the suggestion is. 

Exactly, they would all do each other down if they could and then pretend the game is unified.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

That’s true. But ultimately debt does make you weaker. And our clubs appear to be built on debt. The country too. Easy terms aren’t so easy when inflation hits.

Number one would reduce our season to just thirty games (+ cups,) which is an awful thought for all us footie enthusiasts surely?. Besides, grounds like Carrow Road are expensive to maintain at the best of times and less use would make this more disproportionate. Such a hefty drop in income (including match-day sales remember) would increase club debt.

Think again.

Also, it is all vert admirable spreading the income as suggested in your second point, but it needs to be appreciated that an enormous amount of foreign income (multi-millions) flows in to the game because of the worldwide popularity of the much maligned Premier League. Watering this down, at least in the drastic way you suggested, could weaken the spending power and thertefore the appeal of our top teams and would therefore eventually threaten this feed and therefore the English game as a whole. Less, not more finances could seep in to the lower leagues and the grassroots of the game because less is available.

Some might prefer the English game to return to the days before Sky TV and become more insular, I wouldn't. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Yellow card for anyone wearing any colour boots other than black.

Yellow card for leaving the field of play when celebrating a goal. 

Red card for removing shirt after scoring a goal 

Red card for not having the whole ball in the quadrant when taking a corner.

Rolling the foot over the ball to be looked on as time wasting

No mobile phones allowed in football stadiums

Every player to have the same haircut 

Any player wearing gloves to be put in the stocks before kick off and have rotten tomatoes thrown at them 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The biggest issue that us fans hate and want changed are the same everywhere - rich club dominance . However, if City had a Saudi billionaire owner who was prepared to throw tens or hundreds of millions to buy players from all over the world would fans really say no to that? 

A wage cap, a transfer fee cap, a squad of 25 with a minimum of 10 homegrown players. No more VAR, no mid season tours in the winter breaks either.

I know they will never happen but it’s just what I think that’s all. 

Scrap VAR

Make the European Super League (with relegation mind)

Fire the crap refs 

Ban multi club ownership

Ditch the league cup but then make the premier league and championship teams enter the FA cup in round one.

Go back to three subs it’s plenty. Maybe allow a fourth if the goalkeeper gets injured.

Introduce maximum squad size to prevent the hoarding of players by big teams. Maybe allow a maximum number of players out on loan. Abolish loan fees.

Prevent players moving clubs before the age of 18.

To stop a reliance on set pieces change the rules so the fouled player has to take the resulting set piece. 

20 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

The biggest issue that us fans hate and want changed are the same everywhere - rich club dominance . However, if City had a Saudi billionaire owner who was prepared to throw tens or hundreds of millions to buy players from all over the world would fans really say no to that? 

The same big clubs always were the big clubs its just the gap is unreachable now. Some clubs will be rich because they can attract 80K for a home game. I don't mind that. But the moey tha tfilters through from the top to the bottom isn't sustaining them. They forget that if the use £50M as the minimum they pay for a player, that means we have to pay £10M for ordinary players. If they pay them £200K a week, we have to pay £20-40K a week. Whatever they do at the stop affects the rest of us. Whe na £100M player slides on his knees because that is his second goal in 20 games, we feel the whirlwind it creates.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

At he moment some club's benches would easily be in the starting eleven for other clubs.

Players seem to be satisfied to be part of the match day squad, whether they play or not.

Because such good players are on the bench it doesn't matter if others are injured.

Because such good players are on the bench it doesn't matter if some players run themselves into the ground after an hour, they can be replaced.

Because such good players are on the bench the paying public do not get to see them and other clubs do not get the opportunity of giving them regular football.

I would also reduce the age of players who do not qualify as squad members to 20 instead of 21 and have fixed squads of 30 players, meaning if a club wants to transfer a player in, or one comes of age, they must release or transfer another one out.

There have been other excellent suggestions above of which I particularly like:

* spread the TV revenues between the top three tiers something like 60:25:15. this would make finances in the lower tiers more viable

* Go back to three subs it’s plenty. Maybe allow a fourth if the goalkeeper gets injured.

Introduce maximum squad size to prevent the hoarding of players by big teams. Maybe allow a maximum number of players out on loan. Abolish loan fees.

Prevent players moving clubs before the age of 18.

On another note, the number of substitutes has now increased from the top to the bottom. As a result even the lowest football has at least three subs. Players at that level do not want to give up their afternoon watching football from the touchline, they want to play. As a result many are leaving the game and the number of teams, and in some cases the number of leagues is becoming drastically less. Grassroots football is dying and the number of substitutes is a major part of the problem.

Get rid of the League Cup

FA cup winners to qualify for Champions League

Establish a European Super League with relegation to National Leagues

Back to 3 subs

Handball given only if deliberate in the refs opinion.

Scrap VAR

No penalty kicks unless foul to stop obvious goal scoring opportunity. Handling on the line, one on one with keeper in the box. Other fouls in penalty area to be awarded a direct free kick.

21 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I would also reduce the age of players who do not qualify as squad members to 20 instead of 21 and have fixed squads of 30 players, meaning if a club wants to transfer a player in, or one comes of age, they must release or transfer another one out.

I like this- I'd be tempted to say you name 25 players and you can name 3 under 21's in reserve who you can call on if you don't have enough fit players in your squad to fill the bench. Anyone else over 21 you 'own' but haven't registered in your squad can move for free.

20 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Majority fan ownership and also specific fans on the board. In our case I nominate @cambridgeshire canary and @Buh

A great idea. May need electronic attendance for Cambridge or alternatively pick someone who attends matches.

• Haha 1