Idah really isn't as bad as people suggest. And he is ten times better than Hwang. That was not an easy finish.  As others have said Placheta played the ball with far, far too much pace. Idah will score goals if given a run of games.

There are much bigger issues with NCFC than Adam Idah.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I cannot believe the excuses.

Especially that it was Placheta's fault.

Hojland's goal for Manure on Tuesday was a similar chance. ...but then again, am I comparing him with Idah? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I remember saying in the match thread that I'd like to see Placheta and Idah come on. Within a couple of minutes of me saying this, it happened.

Then this happened.

EDIT: Having seen it again in real speed, I think Idah's expected Placheta to hit it with the right foot and didn't expect it to be hit with the outside of the left (I also think this caught their goalie out too). It does have some zip on it but a fully alert striker tucks that away for me.

Edited by TheGunnShow

He shouldn't be judged on a solitary incident, but his ability to miss completely, or to find the keeper when he does get an effort on target is becoming the stuff of legend.

That instinctive sense of where he needs to shoot or header a football in order to give himself the best chance of scoring, simply isn't in him for some reason.

Hernandez was equally culpable when he shot straight at the keeper whilst in acres of space from the centre of the penalty area 'D'. His final product is abysmal lately. 

We're dominating possession in games and then passing to their keeper, or simply not putting quality 'percentage' balls into danger areas from the wings. It's going to to bite us in the bum big time. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

Idah really isn't as bad as people suggest. And he is ten times better than Hwang. That was not an easy finish.  As others have said Placheta played the ball with far, far too much pace. Idah will score goals if given a run of games.

There are much bigger issues with NCFC than Adam Idah.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.

Agree completely.

Which is making me think I must be wrong...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, Placheta played it with far more power than necessary but had he just got over the ball it probably would have been enough to go in. Should have scored. 

Much, much better players than him have missed even bigger sitters.

Of course they have.. but it’s not really relevant, is it? He should have scored, he didn’t, and it probably cost us the win. 

Much, much worse Sunday league footballers would have scored. Again, irrelevant in the debate.

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Of course they have.. but it’s not really relevant, is it? He should have scored, he didn’t, and it probably cost us the win. 

Much, much worse Sunday league footballers would have scored. Again, irrelevant in the debate.

Yeah, it did. But it didn't cost us any more than Duffy playing a god sh*t pass into midfield which they directly scored from 3 minutes into the game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, it did. But it didn't cost us any more than Duffy playing a god sh*t pass into midfield which they directly scored from 3 minutes into the game.

i watched that anywhere else but where he played it ! ,

i do not mind other teams playing great football and scoring thats football ,

but when our defenders keep gifting goals something has to change ,

It was PP's mis-control that lead to the corner which lead to the goal.  But I don't see him at fault here.

It's a well played ball put in at pace, and absolute sitter for Idah as it's right on his head, he should be putting those home.  If he were taking more chances you'd put it down to a blip, but there's a lot of instances where he fluffs in front of goal.. 

He's such a laid back character, it's like he needs a real foot up his **** and show some aggression and force in attacking areas - he's got plenty of attributes at his disposal.  Quite a frustrating player really, as everyone wants him to do well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

How many times do we have to go over this? 

He is dogsh*t.

Never been good enough, isn't good enough now and never will be good enough. Yet we persist, and not only that, but we reward the clear mediocrity with 5 year deals. 

So who would you bring in instead?

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

He's such a laid back character, it's like he needs a real foot up his **** and show some aggression and force in attacking areas - he's got plenty of attributes at his disposal.  Quite a frustrating player really, as everyone wants him to do well.

Yet when he does do well you hear nothing from our so called supporters. 

Genuinely feel people want him to fail to keep up the hate rhetoric.

The world is so polarised an even poor Adam Idah can't escape.

It was a very good chance. Was the cross perfect? No. But Idah knew a cross was coming, it was well within his reach without having to lean back or stretch too much, he was unmarked and he didn't have to worry much about placement as the keeper wasn't there to block it. Yes it was a bit pacey but it wasn't fired at him unexpectedly. A striker needs to be able to deal with imperfect balls in.

It wasn't a perfect chance but the idea it was somehow really hard and nobody would have scored it is just a bit silly.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Genuinely feel people want him to fail to keep up the hate rhetoric.

The Idah haters underrate him for sure, however it also causes a silly overcorrection amongst some who then massively overrate him.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Depends who you're classing our supporters, I've heard plenty of love for him when he's scored at Carrow Road.  I don't think i'd use this forum as a fair judgement.

I’ve looked at this chance from multiple angles, multiple times. I think it’s a good deal more difficult than it appears at first sight.

Idah is attacking inside the back post, looking for a ball along the ground to tap in. Placheta fires it early with the outside of his left, which surprises everyone. 

It is a fraction behind Idah which is hard to adjust for at pace. It wasn’t what he was expecting either.

At no point would I suggest that a wider player firing into the box should ‘pick someone out’ or that crosses can have too much pace on them, though I don’t think that Placheta or Idah have the finest of natural football brains. It is the key weakness of both. 

In effect that weakness of each combines to make a good opportunity harder than it needed to be, more complicated and surprising than was necessary, exacerbated by Idah’s rather callow sense of anticipation, leading to small margins falling on the side of miss rather than score.

As I have suggested repeatedly, all professional footballers are good or have good things about them. The best are very consistent in their performances , make better decisions, do simpler things more carefully and end up with average contribution levels a fair bit higher than those who don’t.

Fans see the good bits, coaches see the averages, the weapon-like elements and - crucially - the negative tendencies under pressure.

Parma

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The current rate of the player's progress drags on along with this seemingly never ending debate about his real worth and the club's perseverance. There was probably less debate and less perseverance with the (then) record signing RVW. It is telling.

As I see it Adam Idah learns the role of striker at a snail's pace with two leisurely steps forward followed by one giant leap backwards. When he is seasoned, at around the 28 years mark, he is likely to be accomplished in the role, the real deal. Extend his contract for another five years City, then send him out on loan to L.1. for several seasons. Until he's ripe, in fact.

He'll eventually be a legend of the game.

Edited by BroadstairsR

10 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

I’ve looked at this chance from multiple angles, multiple times. I think it’s a good deal more difficult than it appears at first sight.

Idah is attacking inside the back post, looking for a ball along the ground to tap in. Placheta fires it early with the outside of his left, which surprises everyone. 

It is a fraction behind Idah which is hard to adjust for at pace. It wasn’t what he was expecting either.

At no point would I suggest that a wider player firing into the box should ‘pick someone out’ or that crosses can have too much pace on them, though I don’t think that Placheta or Idah have the finest of natural football brains. It is the key weakness of both. 

In effect that weakness of each combines to make a good opportunity harder than it needed to be, more complicated and surprising than was necessary, exacerbated by Idah’s rather callow sense of anticipation, leading to small margins falling on the side of miss rather than score.

As I have suggested repeatedly, all professional footballers are good or have good things about them. The best are very consistent in their performances , make better decisions, do simpler things more carefully and end up with average contribution levels a fair bit higher than those who don’t.

Fans see the good bits, coaches see the averages, the weapon-like elements and - crucially - the negative tendencies under pressure.

Parma

So essentially if Placheta had a better footballing brain the cross would have been easier for Idah and if Idah had a better footballing brain he'd have made a better hash of adjusting to the cross and increasing his chances of burying it?

Sounds fair.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

The Idah haters underrate him for sure, however it also causes a silly overcorrection amongst some who then massively overrate him.

Yes. I think I might be guilty of this sometimes. But there's definitely a lot of confirmation bias going on, that when you've decided a player is no good, you notice every little thing they do wrong. I catch myself doing this with Onel, who drives me crazy.

I'd say that of the three subs we brought on after an hour last night, Idah had easily the best game (though admittedly that's not saying much).  He is nowhere near as bad as some say on here. And it does wind me up, which makes me reflexively want to defend him.

• Like 2

Our final ball has been crap for several games now. Even the one Sara scored at the weekend came from a crap cross deflected luckily onto Gabby's head. Our players really need to calm down when they get in the final third.

Just now, king canary said:

So essentially if Placheta had a better footballing brain the cross would have been easier for Idah and if Idah had a better footballing brain he'd have made a better hash of adjusting to the cross and increasing his chances of burying it?

Sounds fair.

Ha, yes. But of the two, Idah's error was easily the more eye-catching. I reckon Placheta's was the bigger error, though.

Just now, shefcanary said:

Even the one Sara scored at the weekend came from a crap cross deflected luckily onto Gabby's head.

And even more so last night.

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yes. I think I might be guilty of this sometimes. But there's definitely a lot of confirmation bias going on, that when you've decided a player is no good, you notice every little thing they do wrong. I catch myself doing this with Onel, who drives me crazy.

I'd say that of the three subs we brought on after an hour last night, Idah had easily the best game (though admittedly that's not saying much).  He is nowhere near as bad as some say on here. And it does wind me up, which makes me reflexively want to defend him.

Yes agree he made the biggest impact. It also helps that Hwang was non-existent so he improved our play up top, even as Hernandez and Placheta seemed to make us worse.

I agree with most here that it wasn't as easy as it looks but he still should've scored.

I think the thing that annoys me the most is that we've talked a lot about how maybe he needs to get some confidence and how this stretch with the injuries to Barnes and Sargent could be a good opportunity for that. While missing a chance like last night certainly won't help, I can't help but think him not starting yesterday must have hurt too. He played well on Saturday and came off after 67 minutes, when that happened that suggested to me we were looking to give him a breather with another 2 games coming up. Then come last night he only appears with half hour to go.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, repman said:

I agree with most here that it wasn't as easy as it looks but he still should've scored.

I think the thing that annoys me the most is that we've talked a lot about how maybe he needs to get some confidence and how this stretch with the injuries to Barnes and Sargent could be a good opportunity for that. While missing a chance like last night certainly won't help, I can't help but think him not starting yesterday must have hurt too. He played well on Saturday and came off after 67 minutes, when that happened that suggested to me we were looking to give him a breather with another 2 games coming up. Then come last night he only appears with half hour to go.

There was a visible slump in the shoulders when he was hooked against Brum after what was probably his best all round performance.

To back that up with then being dropped must really **** him off.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, repman said:

Yeah I agree- it wasn't like Hwang did so well against Birmingham he had to start and you do wonder what the point of hooking him so early v Brum was, if not to save his energy for a start on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Idah's one of our two top scorers this season, so it's hard to fathom why he gets so much stick for not scoring. He's not the first player to miss a goal that you'd think was hard to miss.