Now I was not at C Cottage last night so can't offer a personal opinion but if S Seaman's rating is to be believed then one can but pray that this talent is given a genuine opportunity to dislodge one of the lumbering cart horses we have at centre back. It would be a travesty indeed if the manager simply 'kept faith' with said cart horses just because they are 'senior pros' and 'experienced'. 

A fantastic senior debut.

Showed the pace his senior colleagues have lacked when threatened with space behind him, and looked a dominant physical presence despite his tender years.

Composed on the ball in his first-ever senior appearance, and made some impressive interceptions. Outplayed his captain and the vastly more experienced Ben Gibson in defence, underlining his status as a genuine option after Saturday’s Plymouth horror show. 8

• Like 3

People mocked me over the summer when I suggested that Warner would be ahead of Hanley when the latter returned from injury. I, like others, have reservations that Hanley can ever return at his advanced years from such an injury and still perform, so I feel more confident I was right about my thoughts given last night's assured performance from Jaden. There also has to be a reason why Omo, and indeed Tomkinson, were allowed to leave as well - the management team must be confident that Warner can provide real competition to the existing dreadnoughts we have as CB's.

Warner mentioned a loan in January if he needed games-let him have that opportunity here please. Farke didn't hesitate to play Aarons as soon as he was good enough, hopefully under Wagner, Warner will have a similar opportunity here. He and Duffy might be very effective indeed as a pairing.

• Like 1

High hopes for the young lad....Darren Kenton was singing his praises and I do hope he at least gets a run-out against Brum Brum on Saturday....It's great that when you're feeling low after shambolic Saturday and literally having your pants taken down then being demolished....and then Lo an' behold....along comes a truck full of replacement bricks with a cement mixer in tow.....In their cabs are a couple of packs of fresh knicker elastic....It'll be a long time before our pants get pulled down again....Yes Sir!....

Kenners reckons Young Warner will be the next Rio Ferdinand....I'm excited about our future prospect and hope to see him this Saturday....(not Rio, but young Warner)....just thought I'd be clear about it.....

• Like 1

Gibson is out of contract next June and we still don't know if Hanley will make a full recovery.

I can't see how Warner can go out on loan in January  without leaving ourselves thin on CB cover. One to nurture along the way - let's progress him, he is the future and could be the next Andy O.

Alongside Duffy for me, please. We need a centre-half with pace. Neither Gibson nor Duffy have this. We already know what we get from Gibson. Duffy's still working his way back into regular games and you can still see rust here and there, but his big gob and experience will definitely help Jadon come along.

EDIT: Don't forget the two on loan at Accrington either, or indeed Tomkinson.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

I was there. Was a great debut. Promising that he didn’t look out of his depth at all against an "international" front 4, who've all plenty of experience. 

The lad Fisher, although rough, with a raw technique at times, looks to be a great tackler with very good positional sense. Great to see a full back who can actually defend. some step up from being an inexperienced non-league player a few months ago, to marking an ex-Brazilian international last night.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Alongside Duffy for me, please. We need a centre-half with pace. Neither Gibson nor Duffy have this. We already know what we get from Gibson. Duffy's still working his way back into regular games and you can still see rust here and there, but his big gob and experience will definitely help Jadon come along.

EDIT: Don't forget the two on loan at Accrington either, or indeed Tomkinson.

Problem is most of the Rust is in his legs

7 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

I was there. Was a great debut. Promising that he didn’t look out of his depth at all against an "international" front 4, who've all plenty of experience. 

The lad Fisher, although rough, with a raw technique at times, looks to be a great tackler with very good positional sense. Great to see a full back who can actually defend. some step up from being an inexperienced non-league player a few months ago, to marking an ex-Brazilian international last night.

Stacey looks great going forward but I have reservations about his defensive capabilities. There's a reason he was 3rd choice at Bournemouth. Fisher looks a hugely exciting talent and credit to Wagner for involving him so soon.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Was better than Gibson' isn't that hard to be fair

Again, you have to be a really special type of simple that doesn't go to games to regularly still berate Gibson when he's been better than Duffy in most of the matches we've played this season, was was most certainly comfortably better vs Plymouth. Oh, and kept his place vs Fulham and was part of a better defensive side last night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm not sure DW has the bottle to play him. FArke would have put him in. 

My thoughts also. Problem is Webber has hung his coat on Duffy and D Batth (who seems to have slipped from most peoples memory).  

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Again, you have to be a really special type of simple that doesn't go to games to regularly still berate Gibson when he's been better than Duffy in most of the matches we've played this season, was was most certainly comfortably better vs Plymouth. Oh, and kept his place vs Fulham and was part of a better defensive side last night.

Got to say not been particularly impressed by Duffy

Poor mans Hanley

4 minutes ago, daly said:

Got to say not been particularly impressed by Duffy

Poor mans Hanley

Agreed, he was most to blame for the Plymouth debacle. "Proper Fred Karno's" as my Grandad would have said. 😉 

...and to answer the others, barring the standard few stray passes, Gibson was solid and put in some vital blocks. We do seem to love to hate our own eh? 

• Like 2

He will need to get as many games as possible under his belt and in the shop window so he can be sold in January to help starve off the next cash crisis heading down the track.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'm not sure DW has the bottle to play him. FArke would have put him in. 

I think there's a clear connection between Webber not being here beyond March and us seemingly paying less attention to future options. Although I think Farke would me more likely to play young players than Wagner, the circumstances made it harder for him to ignore them too. If you go down the list of academy players who came through under Farke it's clear we were almost forcing his hand.

Jamal Lewis would've been first choice from Farke's first game if not for injury, we signed Husband to be back up and then when Jamal got injured Stiepermann came in as a square peg in a round hole until he was back. Aarons came into the team and was pretty much the best full back in the league from his first game, but that wasn't before we had to watch Ben Marshall, a winger, try to play there instead. Omobamidele was similar in that he came in and looked completely ready, and only got his chance due to injury.

The difference now is that Wagner has been allowed to add experienced back ups, and by experienced we're talking 30+ not even a mid 20s player who could probably improve still. 

Duffy has had games like that all throughout his career. maybe not always in terms of scoreline but in looking absolutely hopeless in a game out of the blue, plus he's known for dropping clangers in games and giving the ball away in stupid areas. If he was at his best all the time he'd have played hundreds of PL games for a mid table team all throughout his career.

Gibson's the same, he's good in most games but then all of a sudden he'll run out one match and looks like he's never played football before. I'd say Hanley's capable of the inconsistency as well but maybe not to the same degree which is why we'll have these games when we suddenly look hopeless at defending if one or more of them is having one of their off days. The way we play doesn't help though as none of them are natural ball playing CB's. They can do it 95% of the time but the 5% of the time they can't we always end up giving away easy chances and goals. I wish we'd still play the ball out but only when we're certain that it's the right time and when the defender can see a pass that might lead to something, otherwise just give it straight to Sara on the turn or a FB to run with, Idah really should win long balls as well because I've seen plenty of players just bounce off him in a physical battle and he's 6"3. 

I didn't get to see Warner last night, I'm hoping he's another Godfrey/Omobamidele and is much more of a natural ball playing CB and it would be a nice bonus if he has some pace and can defend as well. I've not seen much of Batth to suggest he's comfortable playing out either so if we're hellbent on the slow side to side playing out style we do as often as possible then it would help to have one natural ball playing CB in there and maybe Warner can play that role alongside one of the others. Still early days for him though but I would be tempted to play him alongside Gibson again v Birmingham. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

He will need to get as many games as possible under his belt and in the shop window so he can be sold in January to help starve off the next cash crisis heading down the track.

You are Keith Scott and I claim my £5.

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Sad but so true. 

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Oops - I forgot that strategy! 

I called Warner before the season started as one I think would break into the first 11. I am 100% certain the faith behind the scenes in Warner was one of the reasons they were happy to let Andy O leave late in the window. 

I think him and Duffy would be an ideal pair and a great player for Warner to learn from. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yep. Agreed 100%  

On 29/09/2023 at 01:01, hogesar said:

You are hands down the dumbest football supporter on the planet ! Posters are not judging Gibson unfairly when he's made fewer errors than Duffy. That's not how we judge if a player is decent or not ! 

This is the way I view Gibson - what I want from a player who cost the club £9m & is one of our highest earners on £41k per week - I want to see leadership on the pitch in terms of leading by example with dominating performances, including footballing skills, positioning and anticipating where the ball might be played and being in position to neutralize any threats. For our monetary output  I want a CB who can dominate both penalty areas including attacking set pieces & contributing many goals -  similar to  Forbes, Stringer, Bruce, Watson, Linnigan, Mackay, Turner. I don't want a player who has contributed no goals in 3 plus seasons, let alone get one on target ! I don't want a player who hides behind shorter, younger players during a game, throws his arms in the air & blame others for goals conceded.  It is blatantly obvious what we got for £9m ! He gives hospital passes in our own defensive area - If Gibson (and others) don't have the ability to pass out of defence then just launch it - don't pretend to be better than you are - it costs goals !

Did you see the Swansea game ? Leading up to the 2nd Swansea goal, it initially came about as a result of the most atrocious piece of defending by Gibson. A Swansea player ran towards a loose ball inside our penalty area on the left. The player was not facing our goal at this point. Gibson was closest to this player & the ball, no other defenders were in sight, however instead of closing the Swansea player down or challenging for the ball  - Gibson retreated to the centre of the penalty area, giving the Swansea player time to turn and pick out any team-mate at his leisure advancing into the box - which resulted in Duffy having to block the advancing attacker's shot. Swansea scored soon after. Pure criminal defending - a social league pub player would have stuck to his man !

How do you justify that ? - unless you're Gibson's bit on the side !

6 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

You are hands down the dumbest football supporter on the planet ! Posters are not judging Gibson unfairly when he's made fewer errors than Duffy. That's not how we judge if a player is decent or not ! 

This is the way I view Gibson - what I want from a player who cost the club £9m & is one of our highest earners on £41k per week - I want to see leadership on the pitch in terms of leading by example with dominating performances, including footballing skills, positioning and anticipating where the ball might be played and being in position to neutralize any threats. For our monetary output  I want a CB who can dominate both penalty areas including attacking set pieces & contributing many goals -  similar to  Forbes, Stringer, Bruce, Watson, Linnigan, Mackay, Turner. I don't want a player who has contributed no goals in 3 plus seasons, let alone get one on target ! I don't want a player who hides behind shorter, younger players during a game, throws his arms in the air & blame others for goals conceded.  It is blatantly obvious what we got for £9m ! He gives hospital passes in our own defensive area - If Gibson (and others) don't have the ability to pass out of defence then just launch it - don't pretend to be better than you are - it costs goals !

Did you see the Swansea game ? Leading up to the 2nd Swansea goal, it initially came about as a result of the most atrocious piece of defending by Gibson. A Swansea player ran towards a loose ball inside our penalty area on the left. The player was not facing our goal at this point. Gibson was closest to this player & the ball, no other defenders were in sight, however instead of closing the Swansea player down or challenging for the ball  - Gibson retreated to the centre of the penalty area, giving the Swansea player time to turn and pick out any team-mate at his leisure advancing into the box - which resulted in Duffy having to block the advancing attacker's shot. Swansea scored soon after. Pure criminal defending - a social league pub player would have stuck to his man !

Turner hahaha stop it. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

The problem is he can't help his transfer fee. And that's in the past 

This season he's made far less errors leading to goals and Plymouth was an example of him saving Duffy from being even further humiliated on two occasions.

Gibson makes more successive and more progressive passes than Duffy too.

As for dumbest football fan, you do realise all your old posts are viewable on here, right? I'd hate to drag up some of the more comical ones....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

The problem is he can't help his transfer fee. And that's in the past 

This season he's made far less errors leading to goals and Plymouth was an example of him saving Duffy from being even further humiliated on two occasions.

Gibson makes more successive and more progressive passes than Duffy too.

As for dumbest football fan, you do realise all your old posts are viewable on here, right? I'd hate to drag up some of the more comical ones....

You're on this board 24/7 - drag up my old posts ??? - get a life will you - seriously !! If you were to drag out all my previous posts  - you'll find that they were my opinions on games and players - there will be none of this insulting people & protecting someone as useless as Gibson like your life depended on it ! He negotiated his salary - we know everybody tries to get the most they can but he should be on about £10 quid an hour.

While you're here - I have listed Gibson's short-comings - now you explain clearly about why he can't function as a professional footballer ? . None of this X-rated G-string stats rubbish as well.

2 hours ago, Six Pack said:

You're on this board 24/7 - drag up my old posts ??? - get a life will you - seriously !! If you were to drag out all my previous posts  - you'll find that they were my opinions on games and players - there will be none of this insulting people & protecting someone as useless as Gibson like your life depended on it ! He negotiated his salary - we know everybody tries to get the most they can but he should be on about £10 quid an hour.

While you're here - I have listed Gibson's short-comings - now you explain clearly about why he can't function as a professional footballer ? . None of this X-rated G-string stats rubbish as well.

Gibson was a near ever present in one of the meanest defences in the club's history.