Been thinking this for a while but today seems like an apt time to say it out loud. He's not very good is he? He doesn't do anything very well and sometimes you need your keeper to make a save, which he hardly ever does. This is not being knee-jerk after today but he needs replacing. He's not good enough.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton

Our worst seasons all seem to be happening with him in goal. Thought he looked a weakness when he was conceding for in the stoke end too.Don’t rate him at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I reckon it’s his positioning. He doesn’t seem to make very many big mistakes and a lot of the time at first glance you think he couldn’t have done much about it. Then when you look a bit closer his positioning is off - a yard the other way and he might have been able to do something about it.

(Not seen the goals today so don’t know what, if anything, he could have done about those - when you let in six you’ve got bigger problems than just your keeper…)

34 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Our worst seasons all seem to be happening with him in goal. Thought he looked a weakness when he was conceding for in the stoke end too.Don’t rate him at all.

Living off his dads name a few good games.

There I said it boo me all you like

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Living off his dads name a few good games.

There I said it boo me all you like

Yet you blamed the lack of clean sheets at the end of last season on Omobamidele.

I still maintain he would be thought of differently if he had a different surname.  Hes by far from our worst keeper ever but a long way from troubling the top 10 of keepers we've had. He's just meh

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

I still maintain he would be thought of differently if he had a different surname.  Hes by far from our worst keeper ever but a long way from troubling the top 10 of keepers we've had. He's just meh

Meh is the word probably for most of the squad 

I've actually been thinking about this since you've posted it and thinking about some of the keepers I've seen here... 

A. Marshall

Greeno

D. Marshall

Forster 

Ruddy

Krul 

I genuinely don't think I can put Angus in the same bracket as these calibre of keeper. 

He's more in the Paul Gallacher, mark bunn, Lee Camp side I think, not a disaster but not spectacular either 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I've actually been thinking about this since you've posted it and thinking about some of the keepers I've seen here... 

A. Marshall

Greeno

D. Marshall

Forster 

Ruddy

Krul 

I genuinely don't think I can put Angus in the same bracket as these calibre of keeper. 

He's more in the Paul Gallacher, mark bunn, Lee Camp side I think, not a disaster but not spectacular either 

Krul may have had a sad dip in form near the end of his time with us but at least he had a personality and you always knew he was in goal.

Gunn on the other hand is rather forgettable

7 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

A. Marshall

Greeno

D. Marshall

Forster 

Ruddy

Krul 

Agreed. He doesn't actually make many howlers, but he just isn't very good. He never wins you a game, or makes a big save at a big moment. Not good enough, sadly.

9 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

A. Marshall

Greeno

D. Marshall

Forster 

Ruddy

Krul 

Ruddy was different level for us to be fair

He was statistically one of the best goalkeepers in the league before yesterday in terms of saves vs xG.

Certainly more than good enough for the championship although like many goalkeepers isn't that commanding in the area.

Just now, hogesar said:

He was statistically one of the best goalkeepers in the league before yesterday in terms of saves vs xG.

Certainly more than good enough for the championship although like many goalkeepers isn't that commanding in the area.

Is he worth the money paid for him?

11 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

A. Marshall

Greeno

D. Marshall

Forster 

Ruddy

Krul 

Andy Marshall? I was watching through my fingers every time the ball came in to the box. Decent shot stopper but like Dracula he was terrified of crosses. Him leaving for the binners and us ending up with Green was a great result

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Andy Marshall? I was watching through my fingers every time the ball came in to the box. Decent shot stopper but like Dracula he was terrified of crosses. Him leaving for the binners and us ending up with Green was a great result

Player Of The Season when he left. Can't believe you used that vintage Dracula line. Shameful 🙄 

17 minutes ago, Galactico said:

Player Of The Season when he left. Can't believe you used that vintage Dracula line. Shameful 🙄 

I think him winning player of the year says more about the state of the outfield players we had around 2000 rather than being an endorsement of his abilities to be honest.

Gunns short play makes me nervous, his long ball isn't great either. He makes me nervous in a way Krul didn't. Possibly just because Krul had more character about him tbh. Plus my son asked Gunn to sign something for him & he put his hood up and walked on, so it's personal! 😂

58 minutes ago, JamieNorfolk said:

Gunns short play makes me nervous, his long ball isn't great either. He makes me nervous in a way Krul didn't. Possibly just because Krul had more character about him tbh. Plus my son asked Gunn to sign something for him & he put his hood up and walked on, so it's personal! 😂

His middle ball’s OK though 🙂

Krul always made me nervous trying to pass it out from the back. He made his share of howlers in his time here.

Pointed out a few times last season how dire our results turned as soon as we dropped Krul for Gunn but everyone on here seemed to think he was the next Buffon 🙄

Dreadful keeper who is here because of his surname, nothing more to it. 

Gunn is far from the problem IMO. Up to yesterday we’d been one of the most defensively sound teams in the league, our chance concession was amongst the lowest going!

Think I’d change the majority of the outfield before I got to Gunn…

• Like 4

14 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Krul may have had a sad dip in form near the end of his time with us but at least he had a personality and you always knew he was in goal.

Gunn on the other hand is rather forgettable

Krul was pony. I'm shocked to hear anyone thought otherwise. Such a liability 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

This is a bit of a bizarre comment. I say that because he has only really been our 1st choice GK in two seasons. One when Farke first arrived and the last one. He only made 9 appearances when we were in the premier league.

Neither of the seasons he has been first choice can be close to saying "our worst seasons" - unless you are young and have only witnessed the last 5-6 seasons perhaps? 

15 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

A. Marshall

Greeno

D. Marshall

Forster 

Ruddy

Krul 

A. Marshall - massively overrated in the long run IMHO. A good, solid goalkeeper, pretty much peaked with us. There is no doubt he was a terrific shot stopper and certainly had the potential to be a top quality goalkeeper but he never really realised that. He made 195 appearances for us aged 26. Right in his prime. Went to Ipswich who were in the prem but then not and his career when downhill. At 26 you would say most keepers still have a good ten years left in him, peak is a longer period from 25-mid 30's. He barely matched the 195 appearances for us in total across the rest of his career. His kicking was also awful, I know, I would watch them in the warm ups and a young Green having to go from one side of the pitch - where it was meant to be being kicked from, to the other to get where the ball actually went to. Command of the box wasn't great either.

Green was superb, solid, good all rounder, hence he got bigger moves, much bigger moves, than A. Marshall. And made the actual England squad and played. IMHO, as good as Krul, if not better. Even for us.

D. Marshall - another one I think goes a bit over-rated. He was solid enough, but I wouldn't say particularly brilliant. He had some very good games for us, and again, shot stopping was good. You have to wonder though, he did well for Cardiff, but no Premier League teams came sniffing after, and he went to them whilst they were on the up.

Forster we had for one season - for me, not enough to suggest he was better than any other keeper we had. Has had a good career, but again, just one season for us. And IMHO, Ruddy was better, who came in after him.

Ruddy - another great all-round keeper. For me, probably 2nd to Green in that sence. Solid, good command of his area and consistant.

Krul - great servant for us, came here with his career pretty much on the rocks. Given a new lease of life and gave us some fabulous memories. Nothing will take away from that. However, no doubt his best days were prior to coming to us at Newcastle and whilst he came close to replicating that on occasions, he could also have howlers.

If you are looking at a top three post Gunn Senior list, Green, Ruddy and Krul for me - Green has to be No.1 on that list, the other two you can switch about. This is based on playing just for us. I would put Gunn senior ahead of Forster and in the mix with Marshall and Marshall.

6 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Ruddy was different level for us to be fair

Yet you'll find many of the same people back then were berating him for not being able to shot stops that were top or bottom bins... I mean, honestly, you couldn't make it up.

• Like 2

It isn't anything to do with the pass. Angus is our current number one and I think was close to POTS last year. And I don't think he has done a lot wrong this year but yesterday he looked, after the second goal went in and the complete stupidity of nobody marking the two Plymouth players taking the free kick, as if he was fed up. His body language looked terrible. I'm sure even the most seasoned pro must get thoughts of why should I bother from time to time. 

But as fans we cannot accept that. We deman, quite rightly, 100% effort at least.

What the hell is this thread?

I wasn't at the game, but have watched the highlights.

The only goal I could question Gunn, was in his positioning for the 4th goal. Where he moves wide, but then doesn't readjust his positioning more centrally.

But he has no chance with the rest. Left completely unprotected by his defenders.

Show me where he is at fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

What the hell is this thread?

I wasn't at the game, but have watched the highlights.

The only goal I could question Gunn, was in his positioning for the 4th goal. Where he moves wide, but then doesn't readjust his positioning more centrally.

But he has no chance with the rest. Left completely unprotected by his defenders.

Show me where he is at fault.

I assume its some post-match trauma causing brain faults. It's understandable considering how bad it was. But yes, yesterday Gunn was the least culpable.

• Like 1