Step up Idah and Hwang.

I would think we'll probably end up with Sara in the 10 position and 1 of the 2 strikers leading the line. Going to be a tough couple of months. 

I think the aim now has to be hanging on to the coat tails of the play offs til Sargent gets back. We get no luck.

• Like 1

You make your own bad luck when you settle for a strike force of two 30+ year olds one who's never played in English football before and Adam idah.

Get well soon Josh.

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Step up Idah and Hwang.

I would think we'll probably end up with Sara in the 10 position and 1 of the 2 strikers leading the line. Going to be a tough couple of months. 

Idah couldn’t step up the stairs. That much is evident by now. We need to start Hwang and see what he can do. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm really getting bored of this now. I said to myself after the first few games that we look really good but there's a clear first 11 and a couple of injuries would really hurt us. Then wouldn't you know it just a few games into the season we've lost two key players to long term injuries already and that they both play up top is equally as frustrating. We look really light with strikers right now, Idah will be a good player when he's in his mid to late 20's and develops his game but he's not ready yet and while Hwang is supposedly a decent all round player he hasn't got any particular attribute that will cause defenses problems. Still think we should've tried to get Moore and could've used him as an option for games when we're not playing well as Championship defenders just can't deal with his aerial ability, just whip in crosses or win corners and there's a decent chance the ball goes in the back of the net with him. 

• Like 3

Barnes tried to step up to the striker position tonight, failed and got injured. Sorry but I blame Wagner for this.

No need for the changes tonight. Seriously WTF was the point in signing Hwang?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Ah s#it, they say bad news comes in threes don't they?

Fasi for the Barnes spot, Hwang ST?

4 hours ago, splutcho said:

I think the aim now has to be hanging on to the coat tails of the play offs til Sargent gets back. We get no luck.

Not about luck when it’s deemed 3 strikers in the squad at the start of the season was enough and one of them is very poor. 

• Like 3

Bad news for Barnes and obviously for us. Feel for him. We are having dreadful luck at the moment. Mind you Barnes without Sargent looks a shadow of the same player so I suppose at least this injury will force us to go down a different route which may ultimately benefit us. 

• Like 1

This reminds me how lucky we were that Pukki never got a serious long-term injury during the Farke promotions. We had no one who could have replicated what he did - those clever, perfectly-timed runs. 

And now we seem to have boxed ourselves into the same corner, with no one able to replicate what Sargent brings to the game, but we haven't been so lucky. In theory, this time we have two players who might provide something similar - Idah and Hwang. They have the physical requirements, but seem very passive in contrast with Sargent.

I don't think it's just bad luck, however. Many of us on here were saying we needed to bring in another striker rather than obsessing about yet more wingers. Yes, the wingers we had might have been mediocre, but at least we had enough of them. Unless something turns up trumps from the U-21s, or Hwang's pretty wretched start is just adapting to English football, our options don't look good upfront. 

8 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Wonder if the lad signed from Man City can step up to the bench at least?

Watching the other night, I’d say Aboh would be my re likely option, class performance 

Having your two starting strikers injured in the first seven games absolutely is bad luck, you just can't legislate for it. Hopefully Barnes' knee isn't too bad but whatever the outcome you just have to get on with it. Gives others opportunities.

What won't help though is slagging off the players who are likely to step in. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Having your two starting strikers injured in the first seven games absolutely is bad luck, you just can't legislate for it. Hopefully Barnes' knee isn't too bad but whatever the outcome you just have to get on with it. Gives others opportunities.

Difference between slagging them off on a message board and doing it inside the ground. Get a grip. 

4 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Not about luck when it’s deemed 3 strikers in the squad at the start of the season was enough and one of them is very poor. 

Hwang is also a striker, we have 4 in the squad. And Rowe has shown that he's a goalscorer too, so when Sainz is back Rowe could play in the middle too. We're well stocked, we've just been very unlucky with these injuries.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Hwang is also a striker, we have 4 in the squad. And Rowe has shown that he's a goalscorer too, so when Sainz is back Rowe could play in the middle too. We're well stocked, we've just been very unlucky with these injuries.

You’re doing a lot of hoping there, with the greatest respect to you. Sainz is a total unknown. Idah’s record is poor, to be kind to him. Hwang is also somewhat unknown. And yes - thank god Rowe has shown a nose for goal. 

But here’s hoping it comes good. 

While it is bad luck, we knew Sargent was out for months before the window closed and we’d been playing two strikers with only 3 first team ones on the books.

Presumably we were happy to change system if we lost another, but you need someone who scores regularly to have a chance of getting out of this league. Hopefully one or both of the two remaining step up.

7 minutes ago, S_81 said:

You’re doing a lot of hoping there, with the greatest respect to you. Sainz is a total unknown. Idah’s record is poor, to be kind to him. Hwang is also somewhat unknown. And yes - thank god Rowe has shown a nose for goal. 

But here’s hoping it comes good. 

Sainz is an unknown, but he won't have to be world class to be an upgrade on Placheta, Fassnacht and Hernandez. Just saying that Sainz being back gives us the option to move Rowe into the middle should we need to.

And yes, I agree that Idah is poor... and of course Hwang is unknown, but the point is that we brought in another striker to make sure that we had 4 in the squad. That we're now having to rely on the third and fourth choices so early in the season is just bad luck.

As someone else said, it's about trying to hang around the playoffs until Barnes, Sargent and Hanley are fit again, and hoping for no more serious injuries to key players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

You can sort of legislate for it. We have history of leaving ourselves short in key positions and hoping we don’t get injuries. 

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Can we recall Kamara from Portsmouth?

Because he’s scored one goal?

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Almost as many as Idah has

In all seriousness - Kamara needs first team experience. Unless Hwang or Idah got injured there would be no point in bringing him back. Unless we are saying he’s better than either or both of those two. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Barnes tried to step up to the striker position tonight, failed and got injured. Sorry but I blame Wagner for this.

No need for the changes tonight. Seriously WTF was the point in signing Hwang?

Blame Wagner for playing Barnes? What are you on about? He's started every game, do we just never play him in case he get's injured?

Hwang has only had a few training sessions with us and is still learning about how we play and adapting. 

This really isn't complilcated.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Sainz is an unknown, but he won't have to be world class to be an upgrade on Placheta, Fassnacht and Hernandez. Just saying that Sainz being back gives us the option to move Rowe into the middle should we need to.

And yes, I agree that Idah is poor... and of course Hwang is unknown, but the point is that we brought in another striker to make sure that we had 4 in the squad. That we're now having to rely on the third and fourth choices so early in the season is just bad luck.

As someone else said, it's about trying to hang around the playoffs until Barnes, Sargent and Hanley are fit again, and hoping for no more serious injuries to key players.

Webber was most excited about Sainz from all our summer signings, from watching his first training sessions with the team.