Just now, Fiery Zac said:

Good for you. I wish I could turn away from it.

Love football. Hate the PL.

It doesn't seem to bring much joy.

All I see is people moaning about the corruption and them ducking about with kick off times

To quickly expand on the point of loving football....

There was so much joy to be had in this opening weekend...

Haaland being Haaland, Newcastles all round play, Salahs pass, Sakas goal, Chelseas performance after the first 10mins or so, Maddisons continued rise, etc etc

So much to enjoy and love about the pure actual sport of football. Sadly that's becoming and has become so diluted within the beast of corporate organised competition. Capitalism is the true evil on the planet and an ever present in this Sky sports era that is just accepted as the norm. Billionaire, 'controversial' investors have now taken the ownership to new levels (low or highly exciting, you decide) that can give any club an edge and there seems to be a never ending list of new ways to bend financial rules. All 'controlled' by the Premier League, seemingly wanting to keep and tighten their grip (new refereeing instructions) whilst also blatantly begging for anyone with large sums to join them in cashing in on a dedicated and passionate fanbase who will lap it all up, love and debate the controversy and continually spend spend spend to watch, bet and support 'their' team.

We're all playing a part in the downfall of this beautiful game. It needs revolution from the true supporters but unfortunately the fat cats at the top, those in offices and those genially clapping along in the directors box trying to look interested, hold all the aces.

33 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't watch it buddy.

My spends are on my and grandson's season ticket.

Very sensible.

I'm loving my Sundays watching my boy play football. For him there's no money involved, there's no big team bias and there's no VAR. It's simply him and his mates getting together to enjoy a fairly (or often feisty) competitive game of football. Seeing the look of pure joy when he scores a goal is better than anything the PL could ever throw up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Simon Hooper should be ashamed.

But he won't be.

The ref should have absolutely given a penalty, but the point of VAR is to stop clear and obvious errors being missed and yet again it's failed to follow its sole purpose as a refereeing aid. Absolutely ludicrous that wasn't given, in any other circumstances that's a yellow card and a free kick without a doubt. 

Edited by AJ

Can I just add that hand ball from Chelsea Liverpool! I mean Duffy handball questionable, though probably, Chelsea players hand clearly away from his side and hits his hand full on stooping the ball travelling towards the goal! No Penalty! No consistency across the leagues and VAR a tool to protect home big clubs!

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

Very sensible.

I'm loving my Sundays watching my boy play football. For him there's no money involved, there's no big team bias and there's no VAR. It's simply him and his mates getting together to enjoy a fairly (or often feisty) competitive game of football. Seeing the look of pure joy when he scores a goal is better than anything the PL could ever throw up.

I really hope all of that is true. My own experience of youth football (I’m assuming age in fairness) was some of the most biased and corrupt officiating I’ve ever seen haha.

I once had a goal disallowed after dribbling from my own half and chipping the keeper for, erm, off side.

**** you Cloverhill. 😉 

Edited by Duncan Edwards
😂😉
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

****ing ludicrous that Southampton get awarded that joke of a penalty on Saturday,  but Onana can clean out 2 Wolves players and nothing. 

Which one they were both incredibly soft!

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

****ing ludicrous that Southampton get awarded that joke of a penalty on Saturday,  but Onana can clean out 2 Wolves players and nothing. 

the ref in the VAR box  was suspended for a game last season for making a mistake , kick him out of the game and take Hooper with him FFS

It’s about money and selling the EPL abroad. And of course that means the teams that people abroad have heard of need to be winning at all costs. 

Hiw long before British teams are playing ‘home ‘ matches in Saudi for TV?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

This game was an absolute bore fest , what a joke!

Which is why they need dubious VAR decisions to keep the match in the news. 

4-4 draws make for far better TV. 

10 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Demote Hooper and the hapless assistant referees.

Definitely not, don’t want this incompetent man back in the Championship 

• Like 1

I just do not understand why they didn’t tell him to go look at it. I know VAR is supposed to be for incidents where a clear mistake has been made but when something is so bloody obvious just give him another opportunity to see the replay and at least VAR has done it’s job and we’re only talking about incompetent refereeing instead of actual ingrained corruption in the game.

How anyone can look at that and say it’s not worth closer inspection is just a joke. How does the VAR operator know the ref hasn’t made a clear and obvious error, he can’t tell what the ref has seen or not seen!

And Pukki’s goal against Spurs was ruled out….ffs…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Last night was so unspeakably bad that it must have made it clear to even the most blinkered observer that the time has passed for the PGMOL to just say whoops and we all move on. What an appalling example last night sets for young people – how dare they allow this state of affairs while making out they’re setting standards of decency by booking players for walking too slowly? They’ve had many many opportunities to put their house in order and now it needs to be taken out of their hands, with them replaced by a fully transparent body representative of the interests of all football stakeholders at all levels of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't watch the game but gave the highlights a look after reading this thread. I never subscribed to the view that VAR is corrupt until now. I'm afraid there is no other explanation for that decision. 

A friend tells me that a visiting player scored a penalty at Old Trafford last season and became the first to do so since Ruel Fox. Is that true? 

7 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

No issue with the 1st to be honest, 2nd was a joke

As Nutty rightly suggests if you don't like it don't pay your Sky subs. If enough fans do it Sky, and the EPL will fold.

It's also a but two-faced to insinuate corruption when you sit there watching it on an 'illegal' stream.

Refs are crap in all leagues, get used to it.

36 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

A friend tells me that a visiting player scored a penalty at Old Trafford last season and became the first to do so since Ruel Fox. Is that true? 

It’s not as long as nearly 30 years but there was a 10 year gap between Ruel Fox’s effort and the next successful away penalty kick.

Incredible.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

It’s not as long as nearly 30 years but there was a 10 year gap between Ruel Fox’s effort and the next successful away penalty kick.

Incredible.

Thanks! That's OK then, if it was only 10 years that's fine😂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Hooper bottled it and VAR supported him. Absolute shocker. 

I’ve written a lot about Simon Hooper on here. For reasons I won’t go into I have an (un) healthy interest in PGMOL . Hooper is a classic example of everything that is wrong about refereeing and their system of appointment and promotion. 

Simon Hooper isn’t good enough to officiate at this level. He has been demoted twice . Once we all recall , but after around a year back in the chumps he got back on . Only to be demoted again. 

He eventually got on The List mostly due to a shortage of “qualified” refs. This is PGMOL qualified by the way which is mysterious in itself .  The shortage was caused by retirement and a lack of refs coming through the system. VAR contributed as refs went to Stockley Park rather than officiate. 

English PGMOL had its lowest ebb when it failed to have any refs at the World Cup in 2018. Not even Oliver got on. This was a huge indictment . PGMOL was behind the curve . Terrible run by Riley (a poor ref in his time) and hugely defensive of their role in football rather than embrace change. Riley blamed Clattenburg going to Saudi as the reason and no one could step up at such short notice. A bigger pile of cobblers you would struggle to find 

Anyway back to Hooper. Reffing from the centre circle . Trying to get though matches on percentage decisions . 

Hooper now has the “track record” to get on senior prem matches. He still doesn’t give decisions - the rugby tackle by MU on the wolves player in the box has been completely forgotten. He tried to limp though games . He tries to appease . 

That penalty last night was assault . It’s a yellow , possibly red at any time on any part of the pitch . But Hooper bottled it. Then VAR inexplicably bottle it too. At Carrow Road , in the 90th min against Man Utd that gets given . No doubt . 

It’s scandalous. 

• Like 2

Officials not given appointments for the weekend. They can't even come out and say they were dropped because they got something totally wrong particularly VAR which was set up to stop decisions like last nights.

14 hours ago, AJ said:

The ref should have absolutely given a penalty, but the point of VAR is to stop clear and obvious errors being missed and yet again it's failed to follow its sole purpose as a refereeing aid. Absolutely ludicrous that wasn't given, in any other circumstances that's a yellow card and a free kick without a doubt. 

Simon Hooper has conned a living from the game now for far too long. Has to stop soon surely. Bit drastic I know,and would probably never happen,but if we all boycotted a game he was to officiate,and let the powers that be know that was the reason,you never know.

7 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

As Nutty rightly suggests if you don't like it don't pay your Sky subs. If enough fans do it Sky, and the EPL will fold.

It's also a but two-faced to insinuate corruption when you sit there watching it on an 'illegal' stream.

Refs are crap in all leagues, get used to it.

Yes Refs are crap but another Ref looking at replays shouldnt be

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Old news I know . But . 

IMG_1488.jpeg

Sack them all, should never referre any game again, if only Refs had to come out and explain their thinking when making these decisions..and why he disallowed Jerome’s goal ( yes I am still bitter)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Incredible.

If I remember rightly there was only one other League penalty awarded to an away team at Old Trafford in those ten years, and missed, obviously. The Fox penalty came in the game when we drew 2-2 and Sutton hilariously shoulder-charged Schmeichel to the ground.

Why is the consequence of being totally inept and useless at your job to be taken out of the spotlight and given a week off? Hopefully there are further ramifications like some form of disciplinary procedure as many would face in everyday jobs if you CONTINUALLY show yourself to not be up to the job.

These rules are going to get progressively more and more hilarious. 

You can strap on as many new rules as you like but the root cause is the referees are no good at their jobs.