Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Fair play to Brighton

I don't watch much PL football anymore, and certainly not Brighton.

Is he any good? That's one heck of a price tag.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Well, he's a decent player. But I think most agree that Brighton have bent Chelsea over and really done them. Probably worth 20+ million but over 100? Would love to see the behind the scenes clauses

That’s a pretty ridiculous sum - I’m pretty sure he’s only £5m on fantasy premier league!

Have to say, I thought these overlong contract lengths had been binned, as they are just a FFP dodge.  

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s a pretty ridiculous sum - I’m pretty sure he’s only £5m on fantasy premier league!

Have to say, I thought these overlong contract lengths had been binned, as they are just a FFP dodge.  

only the first 5 years count for FFP was my understanding. 

37 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Brighton were excellent last season and certainly know how to spot a bargain these days. Over £200m in the coffers from player sales in little over a year. I’m sure they’ll reinvest wisely and have European football to look forward to this season. 

31 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

only the first 5 years count for FFP was my understanding. 

Makes you wonder what the point of an 8-year (with an option for a 9th) is.  I’d be astonished if he’s still there in 2-3 seasons.

The market is really inflated in the UK but I counter this with a few questions.. what club has done the best use of transfer fees from player's sales?

Remember Leicester, selling Kante, Drinkwater (!!!), Maguire (the one who really messed up market valuations), Mahrez, Schmeichel? All got a high fee as PL title winners. What did the Foxes do with that?

Chelsea is a greedy club and has been so for almost 20 years, so they deserve to be ripped a new one.. but (yes I know they don't need to), how does Brighton justify such price? Enzo Fernandez is a WC winner. What did Caicedo win?

Edited by mrD66M

26 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Brighton gonna be all over Sara aren’t they 😬

Well, we do need a new stand at Carra..

28 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Well if we know they have just made over 100 million then we don't need to sell Sara to them for less than half that.

They have money now so cough up.

• Like 1

Building a decent team, competing in the upper half of the prem and qualifying for Europe again would be “nicer.”

I will never get excited about selling players. What a pitiful existence that would be.

That said they are at least getting very, very good money when they sell and are doing so from a position of strength where they can source top replacements. 

36 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I believe the player they have sold is more of a sitting midfielder.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Quite. If they buy Sara as a replacement they don’t appear to know what he does.  I wondered if they might look at Skipp.

53 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Imagine how much he'd be worth if he stood up and played! 

• Haha 5

As I see it there are two possibilities.  One is that Chelsea have really identified this guy is both an amazing talent and he gives their squad something extra special that will make all the difference for them this season.  I'm not convinced, but maybe ?

Alternatively their owner has decided he wants this player and is used to having everything he wants and can afford it, so is willing to pay a ridiculous price regardless.  

The Recruitment at Bright has been amazing i think the top guy left to go to chelsea with Potter ? 

i do not know if he is still at chelsea now or not ,

so i imagine the real test is how they reinvest that money ,

if the keep up the recruitment that 100 million will turn out some good players 

Brighton are rumoured to be looking at attacking midfielder Zaniolo from Galatasary. Villa also want him so one will be disappointed. 

Brighton or Villa possibly in for Sara. West Ham seem to be stocking up on midfielders but haven't spent all the Rice money yet.

6 hours ago, mrD66M said:

The market is really inflated in the UK but I counter this with a few questions.. what club has done the best use of transfer fees from player's sales?

Remember Leicester, selling Kante, Drinkwater (!!!), Maguire (the one who really messed up market valuations), Mahrez, Schmeichel? All got a high fee as PL title winners. What did the Foxes do with that?

Chelsea is a greedy club and has been so for almost 20 years, so they deserve to be ripped a new one.. but (yes I know they don't need to), how does Brighton justify such price? Enzo Fernandez is a WC winner. What did Caicedo win?

Strange logic. George Best would have commanded this kind of fee if around today and certainly would never get near to winning a world cup. I'd say they paid well over the odds for both but there we go! 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Brighton are rumoured to be looking at attacking midfielder Zaniolo from Galatasary. Villa also want him so one will be disappointed. 

Brighton or Villa possibly in for Sara. West Ham seem to be stocking up on midfielders but haven't spent all the Rice money yet.

Well, can't the loser then move for Zaniolo's potential replacement, Rashica - cut out some of the middle men!

Cant see norwich turning down 13-15m for sara, especially if bha want him, he'd likely wish to go.

Personally i dont think he is all that, would rather have emi. Id rather have a happy todd. Tin hat on

And before anyone starts, ofc ill back him whilst here, and im very happy he is performing for us, long may it continue 

43 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Cant see norwich turning down 13-15m for sara, especially if bha want him, he'd likely wish to go.

Personally i dont think he is all that, would rather have emi. Id rather have a happy todd. Tin hat on

And before anyone starts, ofc ill back him whilst here, and im very happy he is performing for us, long may it continue 

What? So our most creative player goes for 15 million as you’d rather have two players that are actually completely unavailable to us. Sara is 5x the player Cantwell is and Emi is a £35 million player. What could we replace what Sara provides us with at this stage? 

You don’t need a tin hat you need to find a clue as you seem not to have one 

Can't help thinking this might be a Leicester/Danny drinkwater scenario with a career best season in a team vastly over achieving  leading to an over rating of their ability 

4 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

We will pay £10m for him plus a sell on fee I believe. There is absolutely no chance of selling him a season later for the amount you suggest. We'd barely break even on the outlay...