Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Grade the window thus far A-E

Considering what we have to work with and what Wagner is evidently trying to do I'd say a solid B+. We have recruited players that fit the tactics pretty effectively.  The question (for me at least) remains if those tactics are likely to result in the necessary improvement, but no particular qualms with the players we have signed to make them happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Everyone on here is currently in a shocked silence 

That it’s not lower?

• Haha 1

In terms of replacing what has moved on it’s a solid B

In terms of actually improving on last year and covering lack of depth and options in the middle of defense and midfield? D

Currently I just have my fingers crossed that we can avoid further injuries because I don’t see that we have much quality cover for any outfield positions.

10 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Completely incompetent I’m afraid conehead 

how is Reyes better than the more experienced McGovern? Not saying he won’t be but what proof have you got? 

Duffy centre back, byram full back so again how can you draw comparison 

get your head out of your arsë wake up and smell the bacon 

Reyes is better in that he is an upcoming international goalkeeper whereas McGovern is about to get a free bus pass. 

Byram was our CB cover most of last season. Daft but factual. 

Addressing last year's shortfalls of cb cover, dcm, creativity and experience it's a C,   but for creating a squad that footballing dept thinks they can make effective for their tactics it's.a B

I genuinely have no idea how to assess this as i have not seen a single minute of any of the pre season games, I have never been that interested in them. Ask the question again after say 10 league games, by then I should have seen enough of the team in meaningful games to make a judgement...........

13 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

C minus from me

I think we have regressed not progressed overall. 

Barnes < Pukki 

Sainz < Toddy 

stacey < Aarons (he will go) 

fisher < Mumba 

but 

Reyes > McGovern 

Duffy > Byram 

And that's with grade inflation; he actually thinks E-. 

37 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Reyes is better in that he is an upcoming international goalkeeper whereas McGovern is about to get a free bus pass. 

Byram was our CB cover most of last season. Daft but factual. 

But is a full back, no getting away from that 

14 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

C minus from me

I think we have regressed not progressed overall. 

Barnes < Pukki 

Sainz < Toddy 

stacey < Aarons (he will go) 

fisher < Mumba 

but 

Reyes > McGovern 

Duffy > Byram 

The little I've seen from Fisher already looks like an upgrade on Bali who never got consistent minutes under 3 managers for some reason.

Barnes played a pivotal role in Burnley winning Champs, but it's an unfair comparison because he didn't have same role as Teemu, he joined us for "mentality" reasons

Sainz - we haven't really seen him in the green and yellow, but once he's fit I fancy him to be more consistent than Cantwell who the last two seasons offered little so had to go

Aarons vs Stacey is a very interesting close match, I may be wrong but Stacey may be better defensively.

Regressed? Too early to tell. But I dare say, with the exception of CB cover and DCM this seems a more balanced squad (barring unforeseen circumstances)

B-. None of the outgoings have materialised so we've not done the spending that we need to do in key positions. Im overall pretty happy with the incomings, I don't share the negativity some have towards Barnes and Duffy as I think they'll provide some steel which has been sorely lacking in this squad, but I don't think we've come anywhere close to replacing the impacts of Buendia, Cantwell, Dowell and Pukki (because Tzolis, and Rashica certainly didnt).

And we're STILL missing a DM....

I’m also leaning towards B-, maybe C+

+ Brought in some good experienced heads, albeit aging ones, who can raise the bar behind the scenes. 

+ Shored up the defensive line and feel like the new players will give us some ‘bite’ which was sorely missed last season

+ Have done what looks like some really clever business for such little spend / outgoings. Webber on a budget perhaps Webber at his best?

+ Feel hopeful for Sainz and Fassnacht, that at the very least they’ll give us better options out wide than last season (although that is a very low bar to breach)

+ We’ve still got Sara and expect him to really kick on in his second season, as well as Nunez

- No out and out DM, still…

- Still missing a central link between the midfield and attack, can Sara really step it up?

- Barnes for Pukki for a straight swap is a downgrade, which will put more on Sargent and I’m not enthused at the idea of Idah filling in more if the first two falter 

- We haven’t really managed to do what we set out to do in terms of sales. Omobamidele, Aarons and Rashica still very much here. Which of course isn’t a slight at the club but it does take away from the window and has surely impeded our incomings as a result

17 hours ago, Greavsy said:

image.png.454052412e2a6f5535071975051e943c.png

That's helps me decide actually , cheers Greavsyo ........C+.  Somewhere in the upper 70s for me,  my basis for this being that even though DW has talked about  playing two  8s , I still think we need a 6, two actually. Maybe we get away with it in the champs  but by chroisht  well need em if we go up. 

Surprised Conehead Bootso  was as generous as C- .... as by Greavsyos  chart that mean we've got it 2/3 to 3/4 right. Still got time to ferk it up though so that should keep him happy.  

So Ferk isnt a sweary but F E C K  is. 

Some world. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Petriix said:

This window in isolation is not bad at all. But we're still trying to recover from the U two summers ago. And, because we failed our GCSEs, we're now only doing a random BTEC and hoping to get onto some performing arts HND course and, ultimately, joining the circus. Yay! 

Cirque de Soleil would do . Todd would want to come  back. 

In comparison to, say, Stoke and Coventry, our window has been very average. But compared to others, quite good so far. For instance, we are one week from the first game and most Championship clubs don't know who they going to put in their team. The relegated clubs will lose players this week; the promoted clubs are still scrambling for a squad; and everyone will spend August desperately trying to get PL loans in.

We're OK.

• Like 1

B-

Webber has done well so far and it's not his or the clubs fault other teams haven't come in for Aarons, Rashica and Omo.

There's scope for that rating to improve if we strengthen the midfield.

I just hope we're brave enough to turn down offers for Omo if we can't get an adequate replacement.

B for me

Stacey and Barnes have looked an improvement on the Aarons and Pukki of last season

Duffy has also looked great in pre-season

I think Fisher has looked amazing for a young player from a non-league side, but I’m not very convinced he will be able to cover for Stacey due to his lack of experience. I do think he may be an improvement on Mumba

Reyes looked ok when he played in pre-season, but he hasn’t played enough to be able to assess him yet

Sainz isn’t assessable yet, as he’s yet to play

Fassnacht looked great when he made his debut against Toulouse, but didn’t really do anything against Olympiakos. Did see rumours that he was tired though. On paper he looks a great signing, but I don’t think he’s assessable yet either

13 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

B-

Webber has done well so far and it's not his or the clubs fault other teams haven't come in for Aarons, Rashica and Omo.

There's scope for that rating to improve if we strengthen the midfield.

I just hope we're brave enough to turn down offers for Omo if we can't get an adequate replacement.

It is his fault if he has markedly overpriced them, and is hanging on for offers at prices that will not come, only to take a low offer too late in the window to get resultant incomers (if any) ready for the start of the season.

Was impressed by Duffy yesterday - but in a pair with Gibson they're extremely slow. Stacey looked decent and his added height (which was reportedly a factor in Aarons not getting a move a few years ago) should help defensively. Likewise Fassnacht.

As always, though, can't read much into pre-season performances.