cambridgeshire canary

No more incoming transfers confirmed?

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Barring outs though is pretty key.

Assuming Max goes, who is cover for Stacey? Sorry I haven't been watching pre season.

Kellen

13 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But we haven't replaced Byram, so we'd still need an extra body if Max goes. Like I said before, I doubt Fisher was brought in to go straight into the first-team squad.

Have you watched him play ? It matters little what the intention was, the decision will be based on his ability. Not first choice, but would certainly not be out of place coming in as a sub. it should be noted how he alone has had a good few run outs as opposed to the others signed with a view to development.

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

If you listen to the Pink Un's team news before today's match they say it has changed and he's now considered part of the first team picture.

Hopefully he can step up in that case, it would save us some cash. But the National League to the Championship is a big step.

Don’t wanna be in the same book as the real buh or Dean coney but this fisher lad is the real deal - stick him in the first team immediately 

I suspect the success of our season will mainly depend on the fitness of sara, nunez, fassnacht across the season

12 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Don’t wanna be in the same book as the real buh or Dean coney but this fisher lad is the real deal - stick him in the first team immediately 

Ahead of Stacey? He’s had a good preseason too.  

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I might be wrong but I think Yobocop is just FISHING for bites.

Fishing? Fisher? Get it? Get it? 

Hard to Believe

A) Lots of window left

B) People will leave

C) Loans will be brought In

D) I know not signings, but promotions from youth team

E) If can get a decent player now in a position you need or could use extra room in. Why not?

8 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Hard to Believe

A) Lots of window left

B) People will leave

C) Loans will be brought In

D) I know not signings, but promotions from youth team

E) If can get a decent player now in a position you need or could use extra room in. Why not?

Apart from Max/Rash the only departures (permanent) would be from Placheta, Gini,Lungi or Onel. The first three due to their contracts running out next summer. However, they have all looked well up for it in these past 5 games. One or two from the U21s inc Springett and Rowe might be loaned out, otherwise that's about it. Bar silly offers for Gunn, Omo, Sara etc.

The thought has been we need a good DM, yet we have not shipped in goals so far.  I believe Fasty, Nunez and Sara will score a fair number between them. I wouldn't want us to sign players just because we can. The key to success will be commitment. No sulky Cantwells, or useless Hugills either.  In fact no one with two letter Ls at the end of their name (Dowell).

2 hours ago, vlad666 said:

If max stays there’s no way I’d drop Stacey for him. Been our best player in preseason. 

I was going to ask that.  Is Max actually first choice now if he does stay ?  Stacey has looked impressive and we don't seem to have lost much of Max's virtues whilst losing some of his issues with a physically more imposing right back.

Or do we use him at left back ?

Interesting that so many people say Fisher is a good back up for Stacey on what he’s done pre season, yet the guy came from non league and as so many say friendlies are not pointers for the real thing just about fitness.

He may be awful in a proper Championship match, it’s far too early to judge him, even though so many already have. 

Still beggars belief that anyone at the club can be happy with ,Sorenson aside, no proper defensive midfielder at the club

Theyre clearly once again planning to play McLean in a deeper role.. and once again vs the weaker sides we'll get away with it and once again against the better sides our midfield will be cruelly exposed.

I fear we'd be given an early reminder of our need for one as early as Southampton away

7 hours ago, Harry53 said:

My concern is we don't have enough cover at centre back. Grant is out, Andrew O might be sold,  another might be injured leaving us with 1 recognised cb.

Surely we need to sign someone?

I agree, on paper looks good, Hanley, Gibson, Omobalidele, Duffy, and Tomkinson then Warner kicking around as cover as well.  Yet 2 are long term injured at the start of the season, perhaps this is where a loan might work well.

I'm quite disappointed with the manager's comments regarding incoming players. I would have expected that long missing central defensive midfielder and another decent striker (I cannot expect much from Adam Idah no matter how much I try to convince myself that he will be a force) to have been on the menu.

I understand that it is still early days and also that we needed cash sales from Rashica and Aarons to fund purchases, but Wagner seems final with his statement. Davis Wagner seems to have made a point of disappointing me recently with his various utterances. I just about get what he is up to with his squad preparation and accept that, but inconsistencies remain in as much as he is always talking a good game whilst at the same time giving the impression that he is resigned to the club's financial limitations and therefore a season, whilst being an improvement upon the last, of being thankful for any success that comes our way.

ie. He must know that we need re-enforcements in certain areas, but makes out that he is happy with what he has.

All so difficult to pinpoint and therefore who can forecast just what the coming season has in store.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Still beggars belief that anyone at the club can be happy with ,Sorenson aside, no proper defensive midfielder at the club

Theyre clearly once again planning to play McLean in a deeper role.. and once again vs the weaker sides we'll get away with it and once again against the better sides our midfield will be cruelly exposed.

I fear we'd be given an early reminder of our need for one as early as Southampton away

Not really if you have been paying attention to the structural changes to the tactics since Wagner arrived. Playing McLean deep is for when we have the ball, rather than when we don't. The shape of the team is designed for a full and high press when we don't. The result of this is there is no place for a classic DCM. The fan base have an obsession on this position being required for historical reasons. I fully expect that this tactical change will result in the team conceding fewer goals over the season than for many a season. So that isn't going to be the issue, that will be more about scoring them. Btw I see Sorenson getting very little game time this season (again).

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Not really if you have been paying attention to the structural changes to the tactics since Wagner arrived. Playing McLean deep is for when we have the ball, rather than when we don't. The shape of the team is designed for a full and high press when we don't. The result of this is there is no place for a classic DCM. The fan base have an obsession on this position being required for historical reasons. I fully expect that this tactical change will result in the team conceding fewer goals over the season than for many a season. So that isn't going to be the issue, that will be more about scoring them. Btw I see Sorenson getting very little game time this season (again).

I expect you’re right on this (certainly hope you are in terms of conceding less!)

my concern is what happens if McLean is injured or just playing poorly? I guess we’ll turn to Sorenson (who I don’t think is good enough) or Gibbs (I’d actually like to see him get more game time and replace McLean as season progresses).

Probably answered my own question there!

Edited by rock bus

I think many are misinterpreting Wagners comments,  I read it as no incoming unless we sell first, which is what is was anyway.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Still need players woth the necessary muscle and bite...we dont have midfielders like this

5 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

To be fair it's clear that Wagner doesn't want to play with an actual CDM tactically and instead prefers two number 8s.

Whilst pre season has been pretty decent I think it's a bit early to say incomings are done 

We look a bit thin on CBs and will have fingers crossed on the fitness of Omo (and the others) until Hanley is available again.

Sorensen can stand in anywhere across the back 4 but looks like he's needed in midfield. Likewise Kenny will be an important player for us. 

Point being we saw last season that injuries can and will happen. I'd be looking for a bit more cover, perhaps a Byram type player 😉 

15 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I expect you’re right on this (certainly hope you are in terms of conceding less!)

my concern is what happens if McLean is injured or just playing poorly? I guess we’ll turn to Sorenson (who I don’t think is good enough) or Gibbs (I’d actually like to see him get more game time and replace McLean as season progresses).

13 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Still need players woth the necessary muscle and bite...we dont have midfielders like this

I am guessing Gibbs won't be in the first eleven, and if McLean gets injured he is seen as cover. As for bite and muscle that 11 is already bigger and stronger than it has been for some time.

24 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I think many are misinterpreting Wagners comments,  I read it as no incoming unless we sell first, which is what is was anyway.

With the parachute payments committed to loan repayments and the new share issue still outstanding and the wage bill needing to be reduced the many could be right.

24 minutes ago, essex canary said:

With the parachute payments committed to loan repayments and the new share issue still outstanding and the wage bill needing to be reduced the many could be right.

Sorry  about this chap but you are so negative with your sly insinuations  that the Club has decided to give you back your money , plus inflation if youd only do yourself and everyone else on good ship canary a favour and jump off at the next port.... the alternative is marooning you ( and all living descendants)on Canvey island...in perpetuity.  

44 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I am guessing Gibbs won't be in the first eleven, and if McLean gets injured he is seen as cover. As for bite and muscle that 11 is already bigger and stronger than it has been for some time.

..but in the middle of the park where it matters??...havent replaced Skipp...still havent replaced Tettey permenantly

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Barring outs though is pretty key.

Assuming Max goes, who is cover for Stacey? Sorry I haven't been watching pre season.

Im glad you noticed that point re: outs which most didnt.

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

Yep I would see Gibbs getting some game time this season from the bench in replacement of Kenny.

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Absolutely not, Stacey has been fantastic but Kellen is a more than capable back up 

33 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sorry  about this chap but you are so negative with your sly insinuations  that the Club has decided to give you back your money , plus inflation if youd only do yourself and everyone else on good ship canary a favour and jump off at the next port.... the alternative is marooning you ( and all living descendants)on Canvey island...in perpetuity.  

The best solution is get a settled team and apply some financial discipline in doing it rather than a continuous revolving door that churns far more resources than it ought to do.

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

Yep, squad still too bloated to afford wages for upcoming season - more players need to leave to remain solvent for next nine months without injection of cash from new share issue.

37 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

..but in the middle of the park where it matters??...havent replaced Skipp...still havent replaced Tettey permenantly

I have no idea if it will actually work or not but we're not going to replace them like-for-like when Wagner doesn't want to play with a proper CDM - well, maybe he does want to but can't because we don't have one - who knows!

But with two number 8's getting box-to-box, the increased physicality of having Stacey, Duffy and Gibson at the back, the likes of Barnes who can drop deep when defending, and energetic wingers who can track back, we might not see it as nearly as much of a problem? Sara and Mclean aren't bad tacklers in their own right either.