The Raptor

Football/Championship Manager

It's been mentioned a couple of times over the last few weeks so probably deserves its own thread.

Who else on is currently or has been a champ addict?

When a club makes a signing does anyone else immediately scout him on the game to see if he's any good?

Do you always manage as Norwich? How much success have you had with them? League winners? Champions of Europe?

I finished 2nd in the Premier league once then got sacked mid October as we were only 9th. That the highest I've got. 

I once took Ipswich down to non league and several bankruptcies. Whenever they sacked me I just added a manager and took over again. I got up to around Keano 50 I think. One only lasted 11 games but in that time I managed to add -57 to the goal difference so it wasn't a total waste! 

Grant Holt earnt nothing for 15 months on one game. He demanded a move to a bigger club. I offered him around but then turned down moves to everyone who bid on him so I just stuck him in the reserves and fined him every week till he left on a free!

Don't worry. I'm not that petty in real life!

Currently doing a game when I'm trying to manage all 92 clubs. I manage for 10 games then move on to the next job.  On club 9 at the moment. It's fun. I'm playing that on the switch so it's football manager touch which isn't as in depth as the PC version so doesn't take all day to play about 3 games!

• Like 1

I never manage Norwich on it as if you think the old crazy German kid tropes are funny, I'd go several shades of batsh*t if I were managing my favourite team. In fact, I have more fun playing in weaker leagues and building teams up over 20-30 seasons. Had one with Carl Zeiss Jena in Germany and after about 15 seasons we won the Bundesliga twice. I'd put my favourite German team as Dresden though and when their vacancy cropped up in the 2. Bundesliga, I went in for that, saved them from relegation, got them promoted the next season and since then - established in the top flight at the sharp end. Just can't quite get right into title contention.

Think my favourite one was on a much older version where I got Skeid (a Norwegian team) to the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup then and when I looked at the starting line-up, I'd spent £50K. Everyone was a free transfer or a youngster I'd developed.

• Like 1

CM 97/98 all the way. Never Norwich as they preferred lower league teams and signing Bjorn Heidenstrom straight away

• Like 1

There’s a good booklet about peoples stories of playing fm/Champ manager. Some of them are quite funny. There was a guy playing against galatasaray in Europe so he set fire to some paper to simulate the smoke whilst he played. Also grown men putting on their best suit when they reached the fa cup final and having a bottle of champagne on the side for if they won. 😂
I used to love the old champ manager days. It got a bit too complicated for me in later versions. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

CM 97/98 all the way. Never Norwich as they preferred lower league teams and signing Bjorn Heidenstrom straight away

I think that was the one I used to play to death. There was a Bulgarian youngster who you just had to sign straight away, Antonoli Todorov I think he was called. Guaranteed to score hundreds of goals. 

Can't remember if it was that version or a later one but I managed to pick up a seventeen year old Norwegian called Sindre Loe Bing, could play in any outfield position and every stat developed into 18/19/20. The issue was deciding where to play him!

I've been an addict for nigh-on 20 years. I think I've only managed Norwich about five times; I generally look to start at a much lower level as it's more of a long-term challenge and I like to have saves in different countries to make it more interesting.

Although saying that, I am managing Norwich right now on FM23. I started with Gloucester and took them from the National League North to the Championship, and then when the Norwich job came up in March 2028, with the club about to be relegated from the Premier League, I couldn't resist applying and I got it.

I'll only manage Norwich if they try to recruit me, which has happened precisely once in 11 years. Same reasons as TGS, it means too much.

My dear old FM19 save (2043) corrupted a week ago, so I've bitten the bullet and moved up to FM23. Started at Lincoln, 7 wins from 7, 25 scored, 2 conceded in pre season before losing the first 9 (nine) games in a row. The 4 year jump certainly had a learning curve 😵

I've been addicted since the very first Championship Manager in '92.

I flirted with some of the competitors, Ultimate Manager and Premier manager but always came back.

Recently I don't do more than one or two seasons.

Find recent versions unrealistic, valuations are all over the place.

Edited by CDMullins

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

I'll only manage Norwich if they try to recruit me, which has happened precisely once in 11 years. Same reasons as TGS, it means too much.

My dear old FM19 save (2043) corrupted a week ago, so I've bitten the bullet and moved up to FM23. Started at Lincoln, 7 wins from 7, 25 scored, 2 conceded in pre season before losing the first 9 (nine) games in a row. The 4 year jump certainly had a learning curve 😵

Personally, I've found the last three to be the easiest ones yet. You'll be fine soon enough once you get used to it.

My favourite story was the guy who shook hands with his bedroom door handle after every match.

If you find the current game too complicated or just to time consuming the mobile versions are worth investigating as they are much simpler and more in line with game as it was in the late nineties early 00s.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Personally, I've found the last three to be the easiest ones yet. You'll be fine soon enough once you get used to it.

Oh I'm sure. I think it also had something to do with 4 of 5 centre backs long-term injured, a single fullback per side in the squad, no right midfielders and 7 season long loans (of which only 5 can be in a matchday squad) already in place when I took over and a transfer budget of £2,300. Some games I could only name 3 subs, two of which were goalkeepers.

In hindsight it was a poor choice of starting team!

played loads of the old versions think in 2006  my PSV team won three back to back champions leagues

and much sucess with the originals on my old Amiga +

last year I played fm2021 with Atalanta won 10 straight seria A titles /5 champions leagues /and the domestic cup 8 out of 10 years

my crowning glory was the 8th season conceeded only  4 goals in the league all season 

my son has been playing FM23 but yet to indulge he has taken Norwich to multiple premier league and european victories over the last few games fm19/21/23  we tend to skip versions

and in fm21 got Boston united to the premier league but his laptop was struggling with the save data by then

I first dabbled with Championship Manager 93 and have been addicted ever since.
I regret to admit I would play as Man Utd as I was a kid and would sign Eadie and Sutton most games.
I played as Norwich a little bit around 98/99 but usually I find myself playing English lower leagues.
I have managed such greats as Guiseley, Dover,, Southport, Blyth Spartans. I did play a lot as Lowestoft Town but in recent years got a bit burnt out with them.

My current game sees me in 2029/30 season playing as FC Isle of Mann and about to start my first season in the Van National.

I can assure you though Norwich are an established mid table Prem team in my game , captained by Josh Sargent! I also just signed a American / English regen goalkeeper from them. Ironically their star regen is one Nicky Cantwell. 

Update: Just checked Norwich, actually captained by Donny van de Beek who we signed for £2.1m in 25/26 !!
Managed  by Eddie Howe who has been in post for just short of 4 years, he replaced Malky who was bought in following Dean Smith's sacking 24/1/24 *shudders* they kept him that long?!
Farke has been in post at BMG for just over 7 years!

Edited by Nexus_Canary

I would also play a lot with man united back in the day and very rarely if ever play outside a top flight side

Yes been playing constantly for ages on iPad edition 2021 I believe 

annoying as it forces retirement in circa 2048

Edited by Yobocop

Had championship manager 99/00 I think as my first one, didn’t get the new one every year but every few I upgraded. Think fm 15 is the last one I had.

Usually played a “practice run” with Norwich where I’d try out systems and get used to the new game for half a season or so., but then usually started properly with a lower league side. Although one of my most enjoyable saves was at AC Milan the season Yoann Gourcuff had a ridiculous potential rating. Can’t remember what year - pretty sure they still had Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Gattuso, Cafu, Seedorf, Kaka etc. Good enough for immediate success but most of them were ancient - had to phase them out and built a right side up around Gourcuff. Probably my longest save.

Haven’t played it for a long time now though. Got a bit too time consuming!

Edited by Aggy

Played since the start. Not been able to get into the latest versions though. CM0102 is the best ever IMO. Love that there is still a large community for that version of the game, who update the database with all current squads etc, based on FM23 data. 

champman0102.net

s-l1200.webp

Edited by Mervmeister

I play a random national league team and try and get them up the leagues.  Bamber Bridge retaining the Champions League being a highlight.  I only manage Norwich if they drop through the divisions - took them from league one to continental dominance in one game due to promoting a youth team striker with average stats but a great goals per game ratio in the reserves.  Went on to exceed 30 goals per game for about 12 years without an international call up.  Constantly waiting for news of a youth team prospect called Russel Sutton in the real world as a result even though in my heart I know it is a randomly generated player ...

Confession time. My name is Norfolk Dan and I am an addict. 

ChampMan 99/00 to around 03/04.

My story, dropped out of uni, cause ChampMan. Possible other causes Duke Nukem & SnakeBite. 

But next it got serious! 

Got a job, moved back to parents, needed to buy a house. Does anyone recall the save game info where it would tell you start date & last saved date and total lapsed/playing time... so... 

In a 9 month time frame, I saved the £8k  needed for the house deposit by going to work on the Gorleston to Norwich bus, back home, eat and go my bedroom play "Snatch" (the film with Brad Pitt) while simultaneously playing CM as Norwich. Nothing else for 9 months. 

I played for just over 3 months game time in 9 months. So I of the 8 hours work and 8 hours CM and 8 hours sleep, that's pretty much the ratio..it's a safe bet the sleep was much less!  . 

Best players. Hendrick Magg. CB random game generated player never found again, was 15+ goal a season from CB with never less than 8/10, just a rock. 

GK Swedish A Isiakson ( spelling .. but went to Villa in real life) He was like Andy Marshall v Newcastle every week.

Formation. 3-4-1-2 

Always played ,3 CB that way I could keep.players happy and easier to cover injuries. Also could.flex to 5-3-2 plus loads.of other like formations. I always had at least 2 DCM, you know the ball winners and the ones who niggle and break play up, who would have thought you need them in a squad season after season... Almost like it's close to reality! I digress... 

Had a few seasons loosing just a single league game, but only one where I did not loose a game, plenty of draws. 

My AMC had to tackle and good long shots. This leads to one of my strangest finds. I played a NCFC DM or DCM who's name escapes me, I will edit it in, worth £75k max, but after a season playing AM he would be worth £1m. He would just tackle and shoot and score. Loved finding these in game quirks. 

Also another quirk I found was in formation. You could hide your real formation. So if you had a man marking oposition manager you could mess them about by pulling the CF to play wide right and your AMC and CF plus winger all heading for the gap. Hard to explain without screen shots. 

Achievement. I wish I could screen shot my manager record, but I know this. 

Many Prem league titles. Won multiple League and FA Cups. I'm not sure I ever won.the UEFA cup, but I'm sure I would have been close, this failure to recall is down to this, that i do recall 3 Champions League finals of which I lost them all, in each of them I was winning and even into the 90+ minute. I recall one final leading with 6 mins of added in time and having 3 players sent off in those 6 minutes. At which point I just assumed a binner had coded it. 

I did however then become Brazil manager while also managing Norwich. I won the world cup and anything else Brazil played. Key player was a Norwich Brazilian in Deco.

I'm pretty sure I made it well into 2030's seasons, Champ Manger "Dan Dan" Retired and can say that I am still an addict, just clean for 18 years. 

Edited by Norfolk Dan
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Confession time. My name is Norfolk Dan and I am an addict. 

ChampMan 99/00 to around 03/04.

My story, dropped out of uni, cause ChampMan. Possible other causes Duke Nukem & SnakeBite. 

But next it got serious! 

Got a job, moved back to parents, needed to buy a house. Does anyone recall the save game info where it would tell you start date & last saved date and total lapsed/playing time... so... 

In a 9 month time frame, I saved the £8k  needed for the house deposit by going to work on the Gorleston to Norwich bus, back home, eat and go my bedroom play "Snatch" (the film with Brad Pitt) while simultaneously playing CM as Norwich. Nothing else for 9 months. 

I played for just over 3 months game time in 9 months. So I of the 8 hours work and 8 hours CM and 8 hours sleep, that's pretty much the ratio..it's a safe bet the sleep was much less!  . 

Best players. Hendrick Magg. CB random game generated player never found again, was 15+ goal a season from CB with never less than 8/10, just a rock. 

GK Swedish A Isiakson ( spelling .. but went to Villa in real life) He was like Andy Marshall v Newcastle every week.

Formation. 3-4-1-2 

Always played ,3 CB that way I could keep.players happy and easier to cover injuries. Also could.flex to 5-3-2 plus loads.of other like formations. I always had at least 2 DCM, you know the ball winners and the ones who niggle and break play up, who would have thought you need them in a squad season after season... Almost like it's close to reality! I digress... 

Had a few seasons loosing just a single league game, but only one where I did not loose a game, plenty of draws. 

My AMC had to tackle and good long shots. This leads to one of my strangest finds. I played a NCFC DM or DCM who's name escapes me, I will edit it in, worth £75k max, but after a season playing AM he would be worth £1m. He would just tackle and shoot and score. Loved finding these in game quirks. 

Also another quirk I found was in formation. You could hide your real formation. So if you had a man marking oposition manager you could mess them about by pulling the CF to play wide right and your AMC and CF plus winger all heading for the gap. Hard to explain without screen shots. 

Achievement. I wish I could screen shot my manager record, but I know this. 

Many Prem league titles. Won multiple League and FA Cups. I'm not sure I ever won.the UEFA cup, but I'm sure I would have been close, this failure to recall is down to this, that i do recall 3 Champions League finals of which I lost them all, in each of them I was winning and even into the 90+ minute. I recall one final leading with 6 mins of added in time and having 3 players sent off in those 6 minutes. At which point I just assumed a binner had coded it. 

I did however then become Brazil manager while also managing Norwich. I won the world cup and anything else Brazil played. Key player was a Norwich Brazilian in Deco.

I'm pretty sure I made it well into 2030's seasons, Champ Manger "Dan Dan" Retired and can say that I am still an addict, just clean for 18 years. 

Never clean mate.

FM sits there for me like a horrible goblin I have tempered my addiction though as genuinely had gf issues in my youth because of my love of FM.

Luckily my wife is a gamer so is quite happy for me to smash the odd evening of FM but I am careful these days to play with intent not just mindlessly clicking next.

Excited for my 29/30 season picked up some real gens and have a reworked midfield, my defence is a bit ropey but my strikers are top end.

Playing a 4-3-3 mainly because that's the suited my players and recruitment best when I started the save. Expect to have to use wingers over strikers soon though as I won't hms **** the league's this time round 

Been playing since Champ Manager 2, agree with others 01/02 was its peak. 

Generally have a foreign save or lower league one before having a Norwich save when the final patch comes out.

Memorable saves for me,  Rushden &Diamonds in 01/02, Brackley FM10.

Looking forward to FM25 as that looks like being the biggest change to the game since the CM/FM split,  in fact it sounds pointless buying FM24 this year as they've already admitted all their work us going into the 25 game currently. 

I confess to spending far too much of my life playing this from the early 90s. I still have most of the old versions upstairs in the loft somewhere - floppy disks in those days!

Have always played as City and regularly won the title and gone into Champions League and have won it, less frequently - by this stage, I tend to get bored with the save. Also like to play career mode, starting in non league, but find job interviews incredibly frustrating!

As for checking out players, Fassnacht looks good! Look at those mental attributes + valued at £7.6 to £11 million! 😉

image.thumb.png.c93d683f8e55de8bc523078ac2bd8ace.png

3 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Never clean mate.

What are these mobile versions that have been posted about! 

Where can I buy the next oz of crack ChampMan!? 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Badger said:

I confess to spending far too much of my life playing this from the early 90s. I still have most of the old versions upstairs in the loft somewhere - floppy disks in those days!

Have always played as City and regularly won the title and gone into Champions League and have won it, less frequently - by this stage, I tend to get bored with the save. Also like to play career mode, starting in non league, but find job interviews incredibly frustrating!

As for checking out players, Fassnacht looks good! Look at those mental attributes + valued at £7.6 to £11 million! 😉

image.thumb.png.c93d683f8e55de8bc523078ac2bd8ace.png

How can anticipation be 16 and positioning be 6. But that's the delight of the game, you just get lucky with a player and it works.. a bit like in real life! 

6 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

How can anticipation be 16 and positioning be 6. But that's the delight of the game, you just get lucky with a player and it works.. a bit like in real life! 

Oh that's quite easy. I don't know if you're married. But I often anticipate I've done something very wrong which my wife will absolutely hate me for just as soon as I've poorly positioned myself in such a way she absolutely warned me against doing. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Haha 1

Championship Manager peaked at around 2001/02 for me and then could never get in to the later versions.

Like others, I could never manager Norwich and would often manage in foreign leagues just so I could never play against them.

I also once witnessed a near full blown fight on a bus at Uni (around 2003ish) after one chap angered another by saying 'I can't stand that Champ Manager, it's just a glorified spreadsheet'. Technically he was right though!

My dad compared football manager to trainspotting when I was a lad. Said it was the saddest thing he had ever seen 😂

One of my fav FM memories was setting up a hotseat multiplayer with mates on the champ manager Italia around 98 I reckon. Opening game of the season George Weah completes his hattrick to see my AC Milan tonk my mates Juve 9-0. He then hits reset on my pc and informs me there had been a power cut 😂 

I also legit got a job because of FM as well , part of one of my jobs was dats analysis and on interview I was asked why I thought I could do a better job with data than the other applications.

I then said on FM I would spend hours hunting for the perfect striker where I needed 6 stats in harmony for the striker to fulfil the role properly. I then explained how this same principle could be used in my job and explained it 

I got the job and the feedback was that I was obviously very patient and good with data, turns out one of the guys interviewing was a fellow cm addict 🤣