The Raptor

Football/Championship Manager

17 minutes ago, Segura said:

Championship Manager peaked at around 2001/02 for me and then could never get in to the later versions.

Like others, I could never manager Norwich and would often manage in foreign leagues just so I could never play against them.

I also once witnessed a near full blown fight on a bus at Uni (around 2003ish) after one chap angered another by saying 'I can'tĀ stand that Champ Manager, it's just a glorified spreadsheet'. Technically he was right though!

Ha spreadsheet the game, although should try out Total Extreme Wrestling 2020 I run maybe 4 spreadsheets side by side with that to the point my wife calls it spreadsheet the gameĀ 

Some great memories being shared.

I am now having to desperately resist the temptation to download the game and start playing again ....mainly because if I did I expect I can kiss goodbye to any spare time I have (And possibly my wife!!!)

Play it year in year out without fail but only ever really play as Norwich when the game is in Beta just to have a bit of fun. In my current save they are (unfortunately) very much up and down even in 2035!

Here i'll link a few screenshotsĀ image.thumb.png.5afe530b86b81e9cfbd82e9622e96e53.pngimage.thumb.png.f80a6545843ebc0652e1b07745666267.png

image.thumb.png.2c347b4dc6aa1b33ca8c993058c5ac6c.png

I see 'addict' mentioned on a few posts.Ā I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Ā Is it wrong that I'm sitting in the cinema thinking. The switch is in my bag. I can probably get the half a season as its a 3 hour film?!

5 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I see 'addict' mentioned on a few posts.Ā I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Ā Is it wrong that I'm sitting in the cinema thinking. The switch is in my bag. I can probably get the half a season as its a 3 hour film?!

Nah that's smart gaming mateĀ 

• Like 1

Due to visiting the place for running, I've managed IFK Mariehamn a few times. Finnish league is pretty fun - it's not as long as an English league season where sometimes I think "too many league games".

Loved playing the Norwegian league too. I'll usually pick an obscure team from the north like Alta or Finnsnes.

This page has just inspired me to count up how many top flight titles I've won starting off with lower league clubs.

England: Norwich, Port Vale, Cambridge, King's Lynn

Italy: Lecce

Spain: Ibiza

Germany: PreuƟen MĆ¼nster

Netherlands: RKC Waalwijk

Turkey: SamsunsporĀ 

Scotland: Montrose

Poland: Arka Gdynia

Russia: Terek Grozny*

Ireland: Waterford*

Iceland: Handknattsleikfelag Kopavogs

I think there could be others I've missed, and there are plenty of other countries where I got bored before winning the top flight. Oh, and the asterisks are for where the clubs were actually lowly sides in the top division, rather than being in the lower tiers.

This brings back some memories...

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This page has just inspired me to count up how many top flight titles I've won starting off with lower league clubs.

England: Norwich, Port Vale, Cambridge, King's Lynn

Italy: Lecce

Spain: Ibiza

Germany: PreuƟen MĆ¼nster

Netherlands: RKC Waalwijk

Turkey: SamsunsporĀ 

Scotland: Montrose

Poland: Aria Gdynia

Russia: Terek Grozny*

Ireland: Waterford*

Iceland: Handknattsleikfelag Kopavogs

I think there could be others I've missed, and there are plenty of other countries where I got bored before winning the top flight. Oh, and the asterisks are for where the clubs were actually lowly sides in the top division, rather than being in the lower tiers.

This brings back some memories...

Did the same with that Icelandic team. We ended up going full time and got into the quarter finals of the EURO Cup. I ended up doing my own form of Farkelife as I had a fair few Germans in the team when we went full-time pro.

Gotta admit, I'm waiting for the Faroe Islands to have a playable league on it. I WOULD FUN-KING LOVE THAT! šŸ˜„

Edited by TheGunnShow

Completely obsessed with Championship manager/Football manager..have been since the mid 90s. Went off it a bit after fm12 as the match engine really irritated me but fm22 was a real return to form and I love it. Have most recently won the bundesliga with freiburg then moved onto Roma where I won 6 titles in a row, cup 3 times and champions league 4x in 5 seasons.

Have just discovered a 92/93 database for fm22 that is amazing so I've started a game with city..just signed Freddy Rincon and might see if I can persuade Carlos valderamma and Jan molby to join šŸ˜

Any of you guys used Dan's England data base?

It can take you down to about the 10th tier if not lower.Ā 

I had a great game as the UEA then found they were hard coded not to be promoted and got demoralised.

This is how I ended up discovering FC isle of mann.

It opens the game up so you really can play as your local team. I used it to play as Lowestoft town but got a bit jaded.

Maybe I'll play as them again in the next game.

36 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Did the same with that Icelandic team. We ended up going full time and got into the quarter finals of the EURO Cup. I ended up doing my own form of Farkelife as I had a fair few Germans in the team when we went full-time pro.

Gotta admit, I'm waiting for the Faroe Islands to have a playable league on it. I WOULD FUN-KING LOVE THAT! šŸ˜„

Mine was on FM09, I believe, and managed to reach the Champions League group stage and the last 16 of the Europa League. I'd actually managed to get Iceland into the top 10 on the UEFA coefficient list (same when I managed in Ireland) as a result of starting in the earlier playoff rounds to build up coefficient points and not many other teams from Iceland playing in Europe. I should've kept playing that for a few more seasons, actually...

23 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I had a great game as the UEA then found they were hard coded not to be promoted and got demoralised.

It opens the game up so you really can play as your local team. I used it to play as Lowestoft town but got a bit jaded.

I think this was the database I found by accident-I was googling the son of a friend of ours who was on the books of MK Dons-someone had done a blog about starting off as Keymer & Hassocks and had signed him. Keymer & HassocksĀ were in the Mid Sussex Football League Division 10-Level 23, and also Jonathan Pearce's local team apparently.

I started playing as them on FM2016. I won 12 straight titles which wasn't difficult really as you can just hoover up the free agents and you don't have to pay any wages so you can have an unlimited squad.Ā The problem was that when I got to the 13th season I had to offer them wages and the budget was so small that I couldn't afford a whole team so I gave up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

He's been doing them for years hasn't he? I'm sure it was his one I downloaded so I could be Dereham in about FM11 or 12. Was the hardest challenge I've ever done, only managed 1 promotion and that took years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

He's been doing them for years hasn't he? I'm sure it was his one I downloaded so I could be Dereham in about FM11 or 12. Was the hardest challenge I've ever done, only managed 1 promotion and that took years.

Yeh thats the guyĀ 

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I think this was the database I found by accident-I was googling the son of a friend of ours who was on the books of MK Dons-someone had done a blog about starting off as Keymer & Hassocks and had signed him. Keymer & HassocksĀ were in the Mid Sussex Football League Division 10-Level 23, and also Jonathan Pearce's local team apparently.

I started playing as them on FM2016. I won 12 straight titles which wasn't difficult really as you can just hoover up the free agents and you don't have to pay any wages so you can have an unlimited squad.Ā The problem was that when I got to the 13th season I had to offer them wages and the budget was so small that I couldn't afford a whole team so I gave up.

Yeh it starts crazy easy if a bit boring and the transition to part time can be really tough.Ā 
I havent quite managed that, maybe next FM although there are no teams i really want to take that far.Ā 

5 hours ago, Sean said:

Completely obsessed with Championship manager/Football manager..have been since the mid 90s. Went off it a bit after fm12 as the match engine really irritated me but fm22 was a real return to form and I love it. Have most recently won the bundesliga with freiburg then moved onto Roma where I won 6 titles in a row, cup 3 times and champions league 4x in 5 seasons.

Have just discovered a 92/93 database for fm22 that is amazing so I've started a game with city..just signed Freddy Rincon and might see if I can persuade Carlos valderamma and Jan molby to join šŸ˜

How do you get the 92-93 database - I'd love to try it.

1 hour ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Don't do it, stay strong, you need spare time in your life!Ā 

You also need to win the champions league with a team that has no right to even be in the premier LeagueĀ 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Badger said:

How do you get the 92-93 database - I'd love to try it.

I found it by logging onto steam and then going to the community section and then workshop..there are loads of databases, facepacks etc and didn't take long at all to download.Ā If you Google madscientist fm then you'll find the guy who created it.

It's great fun and so far robert chase hasn't made me sell all our best players.

• Thanks 1

On 25/07/2023 at 16:21, The Raptor said:

It's been mentioned a couple of times over the last few weeks so probably deserves its own thread.

Who else on is currently or has been a champ addict?

When a club makes a signing does anyone else immediately scout him on the game to see if he's any good?

Do you always manage as Norwich? How much success have you had with them? League winners? Champions of Europe?

I finished 2nd in the Premier league once then got sacked mid October as we were only 9th. That the highest I've got.Ā 

I once took Ipswich down to non league and several bankruptcies. Whenever they sacked me I just added a manager and took over again. I got up to around Keano 50 I think. OneĀ only lasted 11 games but in that time I managed to add -57Ā to the goal difference so it wasn't a total waste!Ā 

Grant Holt earnt nothing for 15 months on one game. He demanded a move to a bigger club. I offered him around butĀ thenĀ turned down moves to everyone who bid on him so I just stuck him in the reserves and fined him every week till he left on a free!

Don't worry. I'm not that petty in real life!

Currently doing a game when I'm trying to manage all 92 clubs. I manage for 10 games then move on to the next job.Ā Ā On club 9 at the moment. It's fun. I'm playing that on the switch so it's football manager touch which isn't as in depth as the PC version so doesn't take all day to play about 3 games!

I think I'd lose my wife if I was to start playing that game again. On that note, seems like a good idea.

• Haha 2

A 'couple of quick games' after work (3.10pm) and suddenly I realise I have nothing to eat in the house and haven't made it to the gym...

BUT I have now takenĀ Burton Albinos (it spellchecked it. That's their name now), Cardiff and MK Don's (4/10 games) off the list of 92 clubs I need to manage in a single game challenge.Ā  14 teams done but only 24 seasons left. Better get a move on!!

My all time favorite save was FC Saarbrucken, 3rd tier German side. Took them all the way to winning the league, straight through bundesliga .2 as champions then on to multiple bundesliga titles, cup wins, europa league champions, champions League winners multiple times.Ā 

Loved that save so much I went and bought a shirt that's hanging in the wardrobe šŸ¤£ nothing else has quite felt like that save. I was so investedĀ 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

image.thumb.png.6d0563dd50c644ce3bc82c9d73e1b496.png
Ā 

Will just add that the binmen are in the Championship though

That makes me want to vomit

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

My all time favorite save was FC Saarbrucken, 3rd tier German side. Took them all the way to winning the league, straight through bundesliga .2 as champions then on to multiple bundesliga titles, cup wins, europa league champions, champions League winners multiple times.Ā 

Loved that save so much I went and bought a shirt that's hanging in the wardrobe šŸ¤£ nothing else has quite felt like that save. I was so investedĀ 

They are on my list of teams to manage as they're the subject of a 30+ year old running joke. They were in a mates German textbook at school and he's claimed ever since they're a fictional team!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Good away performance to be fair.Ā 

I do believe you're on the wrong thread sir

• Haha 1