norfolkngood

Delia Interview in FT Still unsure about MA

17 hours ago, shefcanary said:

It was enough to spark another response from you though Nutty.

TBF I first wanted to be player at Norwich, then a songwriter, but never a playwright. After years as an FD, I'm now thinking about writing a novel. This MB is great source of material for characters. 😉

You'll be needing a good libel lawyer then...🤩

• Haha 1

On 14/07/2023 at 17:48, lake district canary said:

I love it. I know people in their 90's who are more switched on than people a lot younger and if their enthusiasm and drive is there, age doesn't matter.

I think now, is the time for Michael and Delia to get the recognition they deserve and sit back and let some new blood with fresh ideas have a go. Would be a pity to see the club go backwards after all they have done.

Would be exciting to see what someone else could do...

I have been reading what Delia smith has said being unsure about selling her shares to anyone.so this club will not be able to move on and become a premier league club as all supporters want our club to remain in the premier league .

2 hours ago, For the future said:

I have been reading what Delia smith has said being unsure about selling her shares to anyone.so this club will not be able to move on and become a premier league club as all supporters want our club to remain in the premier league .

I don't.  I want us in the super dooper European  Megabucks League, preferably funded by the perspicacity  of the most wonderful role model Mr Andrew Tate. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

11 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I don't.  I want us in the super dooper European  Megabucks League, preferably funded by the perspicacity  of the most wonderful role model Mr Andrew Tate. 

I read this like a jellytots advert! 😛

They trot out that custodian line like water off a ducks back don’t they. Custodians but we will ignore anything our fans actually want to do exactly what we want with the club. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I've no qualms about our level of spend in that last season, it showed a degree of ambition. Unfortunately the money was ill spent, we got relegated. The ill spend continues because of the long term contracts signed which did not have the relegation clauses often talked about by the Executive. IMO the Board allowed too much freedom and not enough mentoring to the executive, leading to the poor decisions.

Perhaps then some of those £70 million loans will still be outstanding when the parachute payments are fully received?

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

They trot out that custodian line like water off a ducks back don’t they. Custodians but we will ignore anything our fans actually want to do exactly what we want with the club. 

I actually think the majority of fans that turn up every week aren't desperate for Delia and MWJ to disappear. It's why any sort of Delia Out protest gathers a hundred or so people at best out of 27,000 no matter how bad we do.

I think Delia needs to put aside any personal interests for the sake of progression for the club. Whilst its admirable to be a self funding club, it clearly wont project us to where we should be, without significant investment. I am sure there must be some plans afoot either from existing US Interest or further afield being explored. It will be the only way most likely not to languish in the championship for too long, which looks on the current condition of our squad, quite likely.

Edited by jaberry2

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I actually think the majority of fans that turn up every week aren't desperate for Delia and MWJ to disappear. It's why any sort of Delia Out protest gathers a hundred or so people at best out of 27,000 no matter how bad we do.

Isn’t the truth that Delia is absolutely the perfect owner? 

She is a great, passionate fan and cares deeply, wholeheartedly about the club in a soulless, artificial geopolitical sporting playground?

However.

Having putting in absolutely no money at all - at any recent point - forcing extreme sporting decisions and extreme positions - is also an anachronism, almost at any level of football. 

The dichotomy is not nothing at all or Saudi Sportwashing. It is not disloyal or even particularly critical to wish for enough to function reasonably in a reasonable market - that we have chosen to be in - particularly when rare opportunities present themselves and we cannot even sustain the dream of dreaming. 

Parma

Just now, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

She is a great, passionate fan and cares deeply, wholeheartedly about the club in a soulless, artificial geopolitical sporting playground?

However.

Having putting in absolutely no money at all - at any recent point - forcing extreme sporting decisions and extreme positions - is also an anachronism, almost at any level of football. 

The dichotomy is not nothing at all or Saudi Sportwashing. It is not disloyal or even particularly critical to wish for enough to function reasonably in a reasonable market - that we have chosen to be in - particularly when rare opportunities present themselves and we cannot even sustain the dream of dreaming. 

Parma

She's the absolutely perfect owner if football was an absolutely perfect sport, I think is a fair way of looking at it.

Unfortunately as you describe, football is anything but 😞

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

However.

Parma

No she’s not because she’s not bothered about actually winning anything or staying in the prem. Yes it’s great that she cares. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

No she’s not because she’s not bothered about actually winning anything or staying in the prem. Yes it’s great that she cares. 

She supports the underdog seemingly now the Tory Party. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

She's the absolutely perfect owner if football was an absolutely perfect sport, I think is a fair way of looking at it.

Unfortunately as you describe, football is anything but 😞

Exactly.

In an ideal world Delia would be the perfect owner. Actually, scratch that, in an ideal world clubs would be owned by their fans and thus the need for any out and out owner would be done. But her and MWJ are a close second. And I know some cling to the idea of the bubble bursting and clubs becoming more like us. I actually though covid might drive that change- more fool me though as football has gotten even more financially incontinent since then. So since football doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon I think we have to change.

• Like 1

Living in an area where the majority are villa and wolves fans (although they are quiet lately), new owners can make a difference. 
Villa are a club on the up and the buzz for the club seems to be back. 
I get DS & MWJ being paranoid about the club going into the wrong hands, but they won’t be in charge forever and one day we will require new owners. 
All the good work in recent years seems to be coming undone and that will be a real shame, as they may have to have their hands forced eventually. 

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Exactly.

In an ideal world Delia would be the perfect owner. Actually, scratch that, in an ideal world clubs would be owned by their fans and thus the need for any out and out owner would be done. But her and MWJ are a close second. And I know some cling to the idea of the bubble bursting and clubs becoming more like us. I actually though covid might drive that change- more fool me though as football has gotten even more financially incontinent since then. So since football doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon I think we have to change.

Yep, Covid was an opportunity, perhaps, but never materialised. The European Super League was a display of greed but everything is forgiven....so that bubble bursting seems a long way off still.

Delia and Michael are at an age where we're going to have to change soon-ish regardless.

I'm not personally that optimistic that the next ownership is going to see us even maintain our current levels. So i'm not desperate for it, but understand it has to happen. It might take 3 or 4 ownership changes. It's not unknown.

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep, Covid was an opportunity, perhaps, but never materialised. The European Super League was a display of greed but everything is forgiven....so that bubble bursting seems a long way off still.

Delia and Michael are at an age where we're going to have to change soon-ish regardless.

I'm not personally that optimistic that the next ownership is going to see us even maintain our current levels. So i'm not desperate for it, but understand it has to happen. It might take 3 or 4 ownership changes. It's not unknown.

I do think the last Premier League season was a big wake up call. My theory (and I know I can't prove either way) is that the plan to pass the shares down to Tom would have remained plan A if we'd have stayed up and shown we could fight the financial gravity. Now, I get more of a sense from Delia & MWJ that they recognise new money is probably needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

So since football doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon I think we have to change.

Football in this country could change significantly if the Saudi's keep up their aggressive tactic and push (Wave money) for their own teams to be in champions league, or more likely find a world club championship replacement for it with a whopping win pot.

It's looking more and more likely that prem league is no longer going to be the bully, and while logic follows that costs will rise as prem league clubs attempt to compete, there's more chance of (at least) the top six leaving the prem league and moving to become global franchises - Just look at the ownerships of them all.

What's left, may just be a better more sustainable system.  It's a very slim chance, but possible.

Trouble is, the taxman gets a pretty hefty cut from football in this country (think it's around £4 billion?), FA, Prem league, Agents all getting cuts.  I'm just not sure who actually wants a sustainable system outside of clubs like ourselves, and I don't think anyone getting a cut from the top of the pyramid would want to be left out of the money pot forming elsewhere in the world.

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I'm just not sure who actually wants a sustainable system

Including many posters on here, they want an unsustainable system, but also want someone to underwrite NCFC being a bigger part of it.

Of course the transition from fan owned to being owned on another continent shouldn't just be waived through because the potential owner is considerably richer than yow.

The idea that the current majority shareholders are holding us back isn't as black and white as some would have you believe. 

Act in haste repent at leisure.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Football in this country could change significantly if the Saudi's keep up their aggressive tactic and push (Wave money) for their own teams to be in champions league, or more likely find a world club championship replacement for it with a whopping win pot.

It's looking more and more likely that prem league is no longer going to be the bully, and while logic follows that costs will rise as prem league clubs attempt to compete, there's more chance of (at least) the top six leaving the prem league and moving to become global franchises - Just look at the ownerships of them all.

What's left, may just be a better more sustainable system.  It's a very slim chance, but possible.

Trouble is, the taxman gets a pretty hefty cut from football in this country (think it's around £4 billion?), FA, Prem league, Agents all getting cuts.  I'm just not sure who actually wants a sustainable system outside of clubs like ourselves, and I don't think anyone getting a cut from the top of the pyramid would want to be left out of the money pot forming elsewhere in the world.

I think golf might be an interesting template for what the Saudi state might like to do with football. 

Do not assume that with endless money it can’t be done. The Premier League is currently the world league. The world league doesn’t have to be in England. 

Parma 

• Like 1

The world league probably shouldn't be in England. Clubs owned by Americans could play home games in America, Saudi owned in Saudi and so on...

It will all still be on TV and the commentators won't have to keep apologising for the behaviour of us legacy fans.

36 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

The Premier League is currently the world league. The world league doesn’t have to be in England. 

And it most likely won't be if middle east push harder and harder to be the leisure/sport hub of the world.

The question is if a world club league establishes, and historic clubs become global franchises then who gets a cut of the earnings if they're no longer registered in traditional home countries of England, Spain, Italy etc.?

Currently the govt get their share, the various organisations get theirs, The drip down into lower league football, Parachute payments etc - when all that gets pulled then what remains needs to become self sustainable?  That, or it all falls apart.

The government don't want to lose the revenue generated through football, nor the cut of tax they receive.  However, you can't tell me that the Saudi's and such like are thinking that it's sustainable to pay all this money out over decades with no plan of a new revenue stream to replace the oil money?

i.e. if Henderson earns 700k/week how much of that goes back into the country in taxes?  And does any of that come back into UK tax system?

That's what puzzles me the most with how this could progress.  I can see this concept of home and away becoming a thing of the past and it all goes harlem globetrotters, meaning the only chance of seeing Man Utd v Liverpool in this country is if it comes to the 'home' of football as a wembley feature?

Maybe I'm extending this out too far.  But it all seems quite possible to me?!  So many foreign investors have the ability to pull out of the top clubs and leave them splattered in debt that no-one else can cover, at that point the govt/sports ministers may be forced into a deal that suits foreign interests.

It's all smiles and money being waved right now, and everyone going doe-eyed for it.  Boxing is the same, whole HW division was put on hold overnight waiting for Saudi's to set the agenda..  

The ray of light of course, it's what's left is a more modest game which is available on terrestrial TV to everyone, or via club channels?  But maybe that's over-optimistic and the end result could see us unable to fill stands as youngsters eyes are drawn to the larger teams with no interest in attending Carrow Road?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Soldier on said:

Still no updates then. Takeover panel clearly not happy with some element of what’s been planned 

The Takeover Panel is probably fundamentally the most acute real problem just now.

3 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The Takeover Panel is probably fundamentally the most acute real problem just now.

We could perhaps hurry things along by gifting our shares to Marky Mark?

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

We could perhaps hurry things along by gifting our shares to Marky Mark?

If only MF had led by example 1 year ago.

6 minutes ago, essex canary said:

If only MF had led by example 1 year ago.

If you believe it's the right thing to do why do you care what MF did? You've already had your ROI.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

If you believe it's the right thing to do why do you care what MF did? You've already had your ROI.

My figures suggest that my ROI falls well short of 7% per annum even if allowing for my hospitality.