Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Pukki joins Minnesota

Wish him the best! A new US team to look out for after Darren's stint at San José 

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Will score more goals this upcoming season in the mls than Messi will.

I assume you’ll put a juicy bet on this certainty? 

At least this news means people an stop crying at the thought of him joining Farke and Webber at Leeds 

16 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

There's a lot of people descended from Scandinavians in that part of the States, so it makes sense for him to go there.

Thought they were more Norwegians than Finns though?

I suspect he's made the financial decision rather than the footballing one. He'd still be great in a lower-half La Liga team such as Celta Vigo or Getafe, playing the kind of football where he could thrive. He won't have any Buendia in Minnesota, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

I suspect he's made the financial decision rather than the footballing one. He'd still be great in a lower-half La Liga team such as Celta Vigo or Getafe, playing the kind of football where he could thrive. He won't have any Buendia in Minnesota, that's for sure.

Equally, maybe for whatever reason he wanted to go and play in America before he retired? Pukki can no doubt still score goals and I'm sure he'll score plenty in MLS. 

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Equally, maybe for whatever reason he wanted to go and play in America before he retired? Pukki can no doubt still score goals and I'm sure he'll score plenty in MLS. 

Of course, it's his life and his choice. But I doubt he's going to Minnesota for the quality of the football.

18 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I assume you’ll put a juicy bet on this certainty? 

At least this news means people an stop crying at the thought of him joining Farke and Webber at Leeds 

They were probably the same people that said he was tosh last year lol.

Good luck Teemu and thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Of course, it's his life and his choice. But I doubt he's going to Minnesota for the quality of the football.

It would be interesting to know how much an MLS team such as Minnesota pays compared to a top half EFL championship team. Either way, I wish Teemu all the best, and hope he does well.

24 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Can't be any worse than the quality of football he was involved in last season 😂

• Like 1

2 year deal as well.

Absolutely no pressure on him and should set himself up nicely for the rest of his life.

Not sure if this is current but 

There's a salary cap. But you're allowed to have 3 dedicated players  (from a squad of up to 30) who can earn more than that. 

The maximum salary for any non-designated player is $504,375.

Pukki is a designated player. I'm pretty sure all salaries have to be published but it may be too soon for that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Thought they were more Norwegians than Finns though?

I was not careful enough - OK there's a lot of Nordic origin people. It wouldn't have been the main deciding factor, but it probably wouldn't be a negative.

14 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I was not careful enough - OK there's a lot of Nordic origin people. It wouldn't have been the main deciding factor, but it probably wouldn't be a negative.

Aye, there's a bit of a misgiving there. Finns might get lumped in as Scandinavian but linguistically their language is massively different (Finnish is a Finno-Ugric language, so Estonian is closest) whereas Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Faroese and Icelandic are all Germanic languages - as indeed is English. What is now modern-day Finland did used to be part of Sweden but that was until 1809 or thereabouts then went over to Russia as part of the Treaty of Fredrikshamn, and Finland claimed and got independence from Russia in 1917/8 after the October Revolution.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Maybe he felt outshined. Woke up one morning looking California and feeling Minnesota, then called his agent. 

Hah! I Just looked up tickets for LA Galaxy games - same seat location behind the goal

LA Galaxy v Minnesota United              $36

LA Galaxy 2 v Wrexham - (preseason) $365 ! 

I know which one I'm going too anyway, but WREXHAM ? 

On 28/06/2023 at 18:41, canarybubbles said:

No Buendia, but there is Robin Lod. Another player he has seemed to have like telepathic connection with in national team games, so maybe that actually also plays some part. 

I'd say a fairly big part. Lod maybe let Minnesota know pukki was available. He'd probably know he was looking for a new team and how great hed be..he also maybe helped sell Minnesota to pukki. 

I know nothing about this old guy. Gonna scout him on football manager I think! Might get pukki to stay with me and get out of the sulk he's in!

On 28/06/2023 at 16:43, NFN FC said:

Their shirts are 125 dollars! 

Adidas for ya. 

That's why I'm glad we stick to the lesser designers, the time our kits go over £60 I'm out.