pete

Who do you want early?

Fixtures out tomorrow who would you want to play early on, no hopers or promotion contenders?

I want to see a contender in order to gauge early on how how this rebuild looks.  Preferably at home where we have struggled.  A good performance and result might bring some hope of a positive season.

The contenders from last season the play off teams for 2022, other championship contender e.g. Watford and those relegate from PL.  We need to be competitive to even get in the promotion question and sooner rather than later if Wagner is to look the answer.   

Lees at home would be interesting.

As 1p5wich requested they start the season away, it's likely we'll get a home match on the opening day.

A morale boosting home win is much needed - Can you imagine the atmosphere if we started with another home defeat?! 

36 minutes ago, CaptCanary said:

As 1p5wich requested they start the season away, it's likely we'll get a home match on the opening day.

A morale boosting home win is much needed - Can you imagine the atmosphere if we started with another home defeat?! 

Totally agree although would depend on the manner of the defeat. I think strong performance would start to win the crowd over.

One of the relegated teams early, let ipswich take a battering and be low morale, if we have them early doors they will probably still have their tales up

We started last season with a benign fixture list. It didn't work out as expected.

A tough one for me .... Leicester, Saints that sort of thing.

The temptation to take the wind out of the binner's sails (a lot of them seem to think they'll romp through the Chumps ... believe) is rather appetising though.

I'm predicting it will be Ipswich away fairly early in the season, possibly their 1st home game.

It's pissing me off the Binners are dictating where we have to play as it likely means we finish the season playing away and them at home.

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Local game with Luton Town here at Carra.....oh, my bad.....

bad what, back ?

4 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

One of the relegated teams early, let ipswich take a battering and be low morale, if we have them early doors they will probably still have their tales up

They do like tall tales.

Doesn’t really matter who I fancy early, whoever it is she wouldn’t be interested in me anyway. But if we’re talking football I love the idea that an incomplete, half-baked, work in progress squad of City players still learning each other’s names wins 1-0 with a disputed 96th minute penalty in front of the visiting support. So Ipswihc at home day one please.

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd rather avoid Ipswich while they're still on their honeymoon period. As the favourites and on a long unbeaten run, we'd have more to lose in a match against them, so it'd be nice to play them after they've suffered a few defeats and lost last season's momentum.

I find this a bit cowardice. 

I'd rather play the blue scum at home early and be the beginning of their decline again. 

We should be relishing the chance to play them again. Let's be avin you! 

If im Wagner id want some lower midtable fodder to get us some goals, points and confidence. 

Gotta play 'em all twice of course but looking at our past two PL attempts, it's important to hit the ground running. Wouldn't say Wagner is on thin ice yet but a couple of tough openers could lead us down that path

19 hours ago, CaptCanary said:

How does a club get to have any influence whether they get a home or away match in the first game of the season?  And wha is their reasoning for wanting a away game?

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

How does a club get to have any influence whether they get a home or away match in the first game of the season?  And wha is their reasoning for wanting a away game?

Removing a tree?  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Clubs can request certain dates home or away, it’s because their pitch is being relaid. We have done it in the past so you can’t moan about it really. It’s the same as they can request certain fixtures at Christmas or Easter too. 

• Like 1

All clubs are able to request certain dates when they're not at home. It's often the first match if the ground/pitch isn't going to be ready, or if there's a big event on in the city that weekend. The Premier League and EFL try to accommodate these requests when they make the draft fixtures, review before producing a second draft, maybe even a third, fourth or fifth if there's an issue, and then they finalise the fixture list once everything looks good.

It's not a random draw like many believe.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

It's never finalised until Sky say so. Whether you play on a Friday or Sunday can make a huge difference in terms of how soon you last played, your next game and even players recovering from injury.

So if its not random, then it's fixable to give certain teams an extra hard time....like our starting fixtures last PL season......as in "we'll make sure that club that doesn't fit our money based ethos gets as hard  a start as possible"

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So if its not random, then it's fixable to give certain teams an extra hard time....like our starting fixtures last PL season......as in "we'll make sure that club that doesn't fit our money based ethos gets as hard  a start as possible"

Sky like certain types of matches to be grouped, so all the top teams play each other the same weekend and local derbies etc. It's not so prevalent in the Championship as harder to predict the top 6, but it will be as random as it can be.

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Shocked I tell you, shocked. 😠

21 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd rather avoid Ipswich while they're still on their honeymoon period. As the favourites and on a long unbeaten run, we'd have more to lose in a match against them, so it'd be nice to play them after they've suffered a few defeats and lost last season's momentum.

Well, that worked out well...

What utter tripe! You have to play every team twice so it doesn’t matter when you play them. We should have been on a high from winning the league so it can work both ways! It was just a convenient excuse used by many 

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Incredibly they're only just having undersoil heating installed, amongst other bits, like new sprinklers, stadium work etc. So they requested to start away, to allow for all the work to be completed.