9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Imagine after all this frothing he was never going to Leeds anyway..

I know but it didn’t stop me fake crying on the London Overground when I saw the EDP headline and moved me enough to post said article link to my close NCFC supporting friend decrying the value of football and all that it encompasses…. It’s drama Hogesar and we’re all guilty of enjoying it just a little bit… just a little bit… *shrugs

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

No. What Bailey said is that we refused to pay Andrich (Skipp replacement) £60k a week nor would we meet St Juste's demands.

We could have afforded them, but chose not to, partly because Webber wasn't convinced we'd have a sufficient squad size if he followed Farke's recruitment wishes.

Webber pursued his own recruitment policy which, in an act of stupidity that is hard to rival, didn't include a Skipp replacement and failed to improve our defence.

Could we have afforded those wages though? Is there evidence to suggest we could? (please don't use Normann as an example, it's not).

Equally, this idea Webber went against Farke's 'plans' also ignores how the actual process works. Do we know Farke wasn't part of the decision making? Yes, in that we know he was part of the decision making.

Equally, we couldn't just sign 3-4 players. One had to be Gunn. That leaves 3 players to replace the ones that left/went out on loan/loans ended.

It also ignores that Normann called himself a DM and was clearly brought in to play that role but only displayed why Brighton felt he wasn't really good enough, despite early flashes of promise with us.

None of that makes sense when you throw in the Ajer, Bilings and Armstrong bids either. Clearly trying to bring in those 3-4 but doing so whilst cutting cloth accordingly.

As Parma says, it's about resources. Something we are not flush with.

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

It could never happen? Could it? Surely not!

not to “Mug City”, sorry, “Norwich City”

any other sporting director at any other club would be on gardening leave. He’s spending our money and linked to our league rival. The board should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 5

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a hot take but...

If Farke goes to Leeds I don't expect him to last the season. 

His football always takes a long time to bed in and requires patience he just won't get. If they sit 13th after 15 odd games the fans will turn and the trigger will be pulled. He gets excuses made for him for Gladbach but he seemingly hadn't learned his lessons about how to organise a defence. Not to mention I'm still not convinced about how he'll do in a team without a Buendia like creative weapon.

Farke was perfect for us but we were also perfect for him. A team that could be rebuilt in his image with an SD who hired him and a fanbase that are largely quite patient. Maybe if it is Webber for the SD he'll get more patience but we'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

It could never happen? Could it? Surely not!

not to “Mug City”, sorry, “Norwich City”

any other sporting director at any other club would be on gardening leave. He’s spending our money and linked to our league rival. The board should be ashamed of themselves.

Nah, not as deep as you're making it. Its not like Leeds approached him and he's suddenly changed all our transfer targets and the Manager, Board, Adams etc have gone "Ah yeah, that's totally normal"

In reality our targets will have been identified a long time ago and we will just be executing those. Who knows how involved Webber himself will be.

The fact most of our links are in South America right now is because we're still dealing with everything our scouting network has spent the past year on.

I dont know how little you know about the transfer market but we didn't get to last game of the season and start scribbling names down for the first time.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a hot take but...

If Farke goes to Leeds I don't expect him to last the season. 

His football always takes a long time to bed in and requires patience he just won't get. If they sit 13th after 15 odd games the fans will turn and the trigger will be pulled. He gets excuses made for him for Gladbach but he seemingly hadn't learned his lessons about how to organise a defence. Not to mention I'm still not convinced about how he'll do in a team without a Buendia like creative weapon.

Farke was perfect for us but we were also perfect for him. A team that could be rebuilt in his image with an SD who hired him and a fanbase that are largely quite patient. Maybe if it is Webber for the SD he'll get more patience but we'll see.

I dont think its a massively hot take but it will require an SD who can "ignore the noise". We didn't get to protest levels but large numbers were fed up with Farke in his first season and at the start of the second. I imagine Leeds fans would be more vocal about it.

For entertainment value I'd really like Webber to tell them to go support someone else when they're 12th in Februrary.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nah, not as deep as you're making it. Its not like Leeds approached him and he's suddenly changed all our transfer targets and the Manager, Board, Adams etc have gone "Ah yeah, that's totally normal"

In reality our targets will have been identified a long time ago and we will just be executing those. Who knows how involved Webber himself will be.

The fact most of our links are in South America right now is because we're still dealing with everything our scouting network has spent the past year on.

I dont know how little you know about the transfer market but we didn't get to last game of the season and start scribbling names down for the first time.

Well if he’s not involved like you say he is then surely he should just be removed from actively participating in footballing decisions as he’s made it clear he doesn’t want to be here long term and the likelihood is he will join one of our rivals.

He’s either involved or not involved and either way he shouldn’t be making decisions for us. I’ll literally drive him out of Norfolk is he needs a lift. I’ll even let him have one more paddle in his fated swimming pool before we leave.

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Well if he’s not involved like you say he is then surely he should just be removed from actively participating in footballing decisions as he’s made it clear he doesn’t want to be here long term and the likelihood is he will join one of our rivals.

He’s either involved or not involved and either way he shouldn’t be making decisions for us. I’ll literally drive him out of Norfolk is he needs a lift. I’ll even let him have one more paddle in his fated swimming pool before we leave.

Yeah, I think in terms of transfer market we can probably do without him unless he has a good relationship with certain clubs directly or with those we've linked with in South America.

I cant pretend to know everything he's currently involved with in the club to know if all his work can be passed onto others.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, I think in terms of transfer market we can probably do without him unless he has a good relationship with certain clubs directly or with those we've linked with in South America.

I cant pretend to know everything he's currently involved with in the club to know if all his work can be passed onto others.

Yet, at arguably the most crucial point in dictating how our season will go we have an unmotivated sporting director still at the wheel doing… something? Who knows? While all the signs are pointing towards him jumping to a league rival and we are just doing nothing? I can almost certainly guarantee you we haven’t made any movement at all to finding a replacement for Webber. No chance.

This is all about Webber leaving with a huge amount of contro, because he’s a massive control freak, and our board just being absolutely useless. 

Every day Norwich a city grow weaker and it’s their fault

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I can almost certainly guarantee you we haven’t made any movement at all to finding a replacement for Webber. No chance.

Oh really?

To be fair to the recruiting, it might be more Adams/Wagner than Webber as I’m sure those experienced players already signed would want stability, but the three older pros signed are of decent quality given this league and though no spring chickens will bring some backbone to a week leadership squad.

As for any further recruitment Webber really shouldn’t be involved in, he’s definitely going and with this link to a league rival, surely he must be placed on gardening leave? For me I have to agree with the weak arsed board, even if they’re sad to see Webber go, he’s undone all the good, he’s created a wedge in the fans, media and club, and as such should have been a lot more cutthroat and got rid already!

The club is at a crossroads, we’re hoping the squad we have with the additions will be stronger, well lose Sara, Aaron’s and Omobamadele and we are a heck of a lot weaker in my opinion. Pukki gone, Cantwell gone, Byrum gone, Dowell gone, though some of these were more injured than not all were good at this level.

We are still waiting for movement on this so called takeover, our SD has gone, question marks over Wagner given our poor run end of the season and our self funding requirements mean we need to keep turning over players. It’s not great at the moment I was hoping that we’d have a lot of things settled by now….but that’s football I suppose!

Edited by Indy

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Oh really?

I’d say it’s a fair assessment given their recent track record, yes.

Look at the board, who’s going to be looking for a new sporting director? Zoe?

Every day we grow weaker and it’s their fault.

Edited by The Real Buh

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

I was hoping that we’d have a lot of things settled by now….but that’s football I suppose!

That’s Nodge

Blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub.

Blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub.

Blub blub blub blub whingey whingey whine whine.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yes mister Webber, certainly Mister Webber, Three Bags Full Mister Webber.

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

Sorry? I can't hear you above all your crying.

Point out where I’m wrong if you can put down the picture of Stu, pause Celine Dion for 2 seconds and wipe the single tear away from your cheek.

• Haha 1

Blub moan whinge cry cry cry 

Waaah whinge moan moan sulk 

Sob sob sob 

Stamps feet like angry toddler

Nope. Just can't hear anything over all that whine.

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

Nope. Just can't hear anything over all that whine.

“ITS ALL COMING BACK ITS ALL COMING BACK TO ME NOOOOW

THE WERE MOMENTS OF GOLD AND THERE WERE FLASHES OF LIGHT”

All I’m saying is, can you turn the Celine Dion down at least. 

If Farke goes to Leeds and we are stuck with Wagner then surely that must be the end of the evil stowmarket 2 

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Oh really?

Whilst this might not be 100 percent true, I do think we are not the most forward thinking club when it comes to planning, if we were we have had since March, Webber is still here and that does imply a lack of succession planning.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

“ITS ALL COMING BACK ITS ALL COMING BACK TO ME NOOOOW

THE WERE MOMENTS OF GOLD AND THERE WERE FLASHES OF LIGHT”

All I’m saying is, can you turn the Celine Dion down at least. 

If "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" then you may have to "Think Twice" and "That's The Way It Is". 😉

1 hour ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Whilst this might not be 100 percent true, I do think we are not the most forward thinking club when it comes to planning, if we were we have had since March, Webber is still here and that does imply a lack of succession planning.

But our owners haven't changed. 

They were early adopters of the Sporting Director model in English football, particularly at our level. We got Webber in the first place, and poached him from Huddersfield.

7 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

I’d say it’s a fair assessment given their recent track record, yes.

Look at the board, who’s going to be looking for a new sporting director? Zoe?

Every day we grow weaker and it’s their fault.

Which is why I think the above is a little silly really. The same owners recruited Webber who recruited Farke who won us 2 championship titles. The same owners previously recruited McNally who's approach took us from League One to the Prem.

To say we aren't looking for a replacement actually goes against most actual evidence of what the club has done in the past 20 years or so.

20 hours ago, hogesar said:

Everything I've read suggests they're still working on a three man shortlist. Not sure what the Archant lads know that's different to the Leeds sources.

18 hours ago, chicken said:

Could we have afforded those wages though? Is there evidence to suggest we could? (please don't use Normann as an example, it's not).

Equally, this idea Webber went against Farke's 'plans' also ignores how the actual process works. Do we know Farke wasn't part of the decision making? Yes, in that we know he was part of the decision making.

Equally, we couldn't just sign 3-4 players. One had to be Gunn. That leaves 3 players to replace the ones that left/went out on loan/loans ended.

It also ignores that Normann called himself a DM and was clearly brought in to play that role but only displayed why Brighton felt he wasn't really good enough, despite early flashes of promise with us.

None of that makes sense when you throw in the Ajer, Bilings and Armstrong bids either. Clearly trying to bring in those 3-4 but doing so whilst cutting cloth accordingly.

As Parma says, it's about resources. Something we are not flush with.

Yes, chicken, but at times like these the message-board suffers from what we in the trade call The Liberty Valance Doomsayer's Syndrome - "When the Negative Legend becomes the Fact, Print the Negative Legend."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Everything I've read suggests they're still working on a three man shortlist. Not sure what the Archant lads know that's different to the Leeds sources.

They're trying to align the ownership transfer announcement with the appointment of a new coach/manager so the speculation will continue, the managerial interviews have been done.

30 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, chicken, but at times like these the message-board suffers from what we in the trade call The Liberty Valance Doomsayer's Syndrome - "When the Negative Legend becomes the Fact, Print the Negative Legend."

MB’s piece in The Athletic was pretty conclusive at the time - Farke’s targets weren’t signed and he told SW at the start of the season the squad wasn’t good enough. It doesn’t sound anything other than Webber did his own thing with the resources he had, so it was of no surprise their relationship came to its natural conclusion. 

4 hours ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

It’s all baseless speculation. We could be waiting for contract negotiations, a season to end so Webber is a stopgap, or any number of other things.

1 hour ago, komakino said:

MB’s piece in The Athletic was pretty conclusive at the time - Farke’s targets weren’t signed and he told SW at the start of the season the squad wasn’t good enough. It doesn’t sound anything other than Webber did his own thing with the resources he had, so it was of no surprise their relationship came to its natural conclusion. 

Yes, but at times like these, some of the message-board dwellers suffer from what we in the trade call Close Your Eyes and Put Your Fingers in Your Ears syndrome - "If a seemingly well researched article from a credible source prints something you don't like, you can just ignore it out of hand".

And to answer @chicken, yes, I think we almost certainly could have afforded Farke's strategy and signed Gunn and three marquee signings. We allegedly paid Brandon Williams over the £60k that Andrich wanted. Gilmour, Kabak and Normann were all on over £40k according to some sources. Whilst Sargent and Tzolis were probably salary-cheap, their transfer fees could have been useful elsewhere. Lees-Melou cost us both a transfer fee and wages in excess of £30k a week.

The fact of the matter is, it's pretty much accepted now that Farke wanted to go big on three outfield signings and give his philosophy a go, this time with a side that had conceded 21 fewer goals in the Championship with a marquee centre-back signing added to it. Webber bottled it and elected to go against that strategy because he was concerned that we'd be a couple of injuries away from a crisis, so went for the spray-and-pray approach.

He may have been right about Farke's approach, it might not have worked and we would have been very heavily reliant on the squad saying healthy. We won't know.

However, we do know that he was absolutely wrong with what he did elect to do. And because Farke wasn't able to get a tune out of a squad Webber had assembled, a squad that deliberately didn't work around Farke's preferred formation and approach, Farke carried the can. From that point, there are two possible conclusions; the squad was good enough and Farke couldn't manage it and therefore Webber ballsed up appointing Smith as successor, or the squad was never good enough to stay up and Webber ballsed up recruitment.

• Like 1