1 hour ago, king canary said:

Root is right about cricket needing to evolve its rules. There is no need to stick to resolutely stick to 11am starts at 7pk finishes if the light and weather allows it. Play until 90 overs are done as it's supposed to be. Also need to look at reserve days or similar.

Watching on the the biggest prizes in test cricket get decided by weather forecasts is the kind of thing that'll put potential new fans of the sport off.

Yes! It beggars belief that a 5 day game can end like this. Add an extra day for rain and unbowled overs. We need to attract people to Test cricket, not put them off. 

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yes! It beggars belief that a 5 day game can end like this. Add an extra day for rain and unbowled overs. We need to attract people to Test cricket, not put them off. 

Asking Cricket to evolve (especially at international level) is always a big ask. The ICC are pretty weak when it comes to change, rule enforcement etc. If there is £££ involved its a different story. Too much is put for the shorter formats/franchise and Test Matches play second fiddle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Agree, weather is sunny at OT tomorrow,  just play the last sodding day then.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It also beggars belief that a weather dependent sport with a fixed schedule is planned to be played in frickin' Manchester FFS.

Watching the weather radar, a sogging great cloud hung over Old Trafford all day. 

I suspect Australia have made some sort of pact with the King of Misrule ...

We’ve only got ourselves to blame for being behind - a stupid declaration cost us the game at Edgbaston, we were out-thought at Lord’s but we should be 1-1 at worst. But we can draw the series so should head to the Oval wanting the win.  I don’t hold much store by this having to win to ‘win it back’ - a series halved means we didn’t lose and from here that is the key thing.

21 hours ago, Canary73 said:

No surprise though - this should have been called off hours ago 

IMG_2825.png

No surprise to see Jonathan Agnew longing for the end of play. He's got to the point where he just doesn't like cricket any more. He's become the Mark Lawrenson of cricket. Listening to him moan his way though the BBC highlights as England play their most exciting cricket for years is just soul-destroying. The BBC needs to pension him off.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’ve only got ourselves to blame for being behind - a stupid declaration cost us the game at Edgbaston, we were out-thought at Lord’s but we should be 1-1 at worst. But we can draw the series so should head to the Oval wanting the win.  I don’t hold much store by this having to win to ‘win it back’ - a series halved means we didn’t lose and from here that is the key thing.

I'd take issue with that, while unorthodox I thought the idea behind the declaration was good. We lost that test because of dropped catches and the inability to clear up the Aussie tail.

16 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Weather forecast for the Oval over the coming days is not good.............

Have to score quickly (as we are already) and then fire them out cheaply first innings. The draw is trading at 4/1, massive price when you check the weather forecasts. 

Good toss to win. Plenty of time for a result with the forecast - looks positively glorious compared to OT. 350 a match winning score. No county team has scored over 400 and there have only been three hundreds at The Oval this season - two against the Kookaburra which does far less than the Dukes. Australia not catching well for a change. Probably can't believe the amount of chances they're getting.

Edited by Captain Holt

More than likely the last Test in England for Warner, Uzi and Smith. I can feel a lot of runs coming from them.

Smith averages 91 at The Oval.

We haven't won a series in England for yonks so it's all there to play for, and a sneaky win would make retaining the Ashes even sweeter.

That said, Warner is rubbish and I look forward to him no longer wearing a Baggy Green.

6 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Weather forecast for the Oval over the coming days is not good.............

It’s not that bad - bits and bobs of rain about, there’s plenty of time for Monday to improve (or get worse!).

We’re about 9 miles away, has been fairly gloomy all day today, definitely good bowling conditions….we don’t seem to be making the most of it atm.

Australia batting 😴😴😴😴

We’d have been on at least 200 runs by now. Maybe 7 wickets down but still. And maybe also Australia are going to win the series but still. We’ll always have our style of play to cling on to.

We’re on top for this spell, but we need a few to fall very soon, especially if the weather is going to have a say. Definitely feels like the levelling win is slipping away…

The series overall reminds me a little of when we were 20th in the prem but still getting lots of plaudits in Farke’s first prem season. ‘Best PL team in 20th ever’. Not really anywhere near as good as actually not being in a **** league position but at least something positive, right? Although probably a few more positives to take from this test series than Norwich 19/20. Just so many ‘what ifs’…

7 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Australia batting 😴😴😴😴

We’d have been on at least 200 runs by now. Maybe 7 wickets down but still. And maybe also Australia are going to win the series but still. We’ll always have our style of play to cling on to.

We’re on top for this spell, but we need a few to fall very soon, especially if the weather is going to have a say. Definitely feels like the levelling win is slipping away…

The series overall reminds me a little of when we were 20th in the prem but still getting lots of plaudits in Farke’s first prem season. ‘Best PL team in 20th ever’. Not really anywhere near as good as actually not being in a **** league position but at least something positive, right? Although probably a few more positives to take from this test series than Norwich 19/20. Just so many ‘what ifs’…

It’s annoying, as to me England have been the better side in 3 out of the 4 previous tests. Some poor catching cost us the first test, and the weather cost us the fourth. Even this morning the ball has sailed past the edge numerous times without finding it. With no spinner to hold an end up to give the quicks a rest I can see Aus coming away with a decent first innings lead 

Rather attritional stuff so far - 30 runs in 90 mins, but at least we’ve got a wicket at long last….despite Bairstow leaving one that was clearly his.   One decent catch in a series does not make a keeper!!

20 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

It’s annoying, as to me England have been the better side in 3 out of the 4 previous tests. Some poor catching cost us the first test, and the weather cost us the fourth. Even this morning the ball has sailed past the edge numerous times without finding it. With no spinner to hold an end up to give the quicks a rest I can see Aus coming away with a decent first innings lead 

Yep agreed, feels like a straight swap for Foakes and Bairstow from the start would’ve seen us there in the first test, and given ourselves a better chance in the second although that was easily the poorest overall performance. 

I’m not sure what the stats exactly are, but could we end the series with a 1-3 loss despite collecting more runs and more wickets? Unfortunately the fine margins haven’t gone our way!

1 hour ago, Herman said:

That's better after that first, tiresome, session.👍

It really was pretty bad - the sort of session that explains why test cricket is struggling elsewhere.

• Like 1