Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Surely the fact it hit his knee on celebration is irrelevant to the fact that he had clearly caught the ball cleanly? Jesus christ

Nope, not by the laws of the game. Man is a fool for beginning to celebrate before he'd actually secured the catch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Stokes knew immediately hence his reaction, same as the starc catch, he was still in the jump to catch action and not 'I'm control'  The wasted review could cost us as much.

Correct decision.

The Starc 'catch' wasn't given, rightly so, earlier in the series because he dragged the ball along the ground before he was in full control of his body (still sliding) and Stokes here kneed the ball out of his own hand because one leg was still miles off the ground before landing after his jump.

He therefore was clearly not in control of his own body, because someone in control wouldn't have knocked the ball out of their own hand. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Stokes knew immediately hence his reaction, same as the starc catch, he was still in the jump to catch action and not 'I'm control'  The wasted review could cost us as much.

That was a stupid, stupid review.

• Like 1

Yes it’s the right decision and my instinct at the time was he was trying to throw the ball up in celebration. Maybe it was an accident and that’s being harsh.

but these players need to learn now not to throw the ball away til they have completed the catch. After the Starc incident I’m amazed that any of them still do it. 

BBC giving him the benefit of the doubt saying that his hand hit his knee as he naturally moved. 

Whatever the case we really could have done with that wicket! 

I get that the rules have been followed and correct decision obviously, but it does seem a bit silly that a catch should not be given simply because Stoke failed to celebrate properly. 

Ultimately he still released the ball at the same time he was looking to release it up into the air, so what difference does it make? The fact it hit his knee is completely exclusive to the catching part itself. 

But have to agree that its very silly to take such a risk on Stokes' part! I'm sure will see some more hesitant celebrations from now!

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes it’s the right decision and my instinct at the time was he was trying to throw the ball up in celebration. Maybe it was an accident and that’s being harsh.

but these players need to learn now not to throw the ball away til they have completed the catch. After the Starc incident I’m amazed that any of them still do it. 

1 minute ago, Gordon Bennett said:

BBC giving him the benefit of the doubt saying that his hand hit his knee as he naturally moved. 

Whatever the case we really could have done with that wicket! 

Have to laugh at these. The look on his face tells you he was celebrating, no natural need to swing his arm around like that apart from to throw it in celebration. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Well my bum is now getting squeaky.

You told us there was nothing to worry about!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

The rain may make it moot anyway.

England have taken three wickets in 66 overs. Need to be much better upon the resumption..

It’s still raining where I live, not looking great.  I did wonder if the weather might decide things - a shame, but if it does maybe it’s 1-1 on games saved.

Edit: 1-2 in this series doesn’t seem totally unfair - we were far too sloppy in the first two tests.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Edit: 1-2 in this series doesn’t seem totally unfair - we were far too sloppy in the first two tests.

Yup, agree with that. And if this Test turns on Stokes's non-catch, it will be, in a way, an appropriate way to end. A very close series, probably decided by England making more sloppy errors than Australia.

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s still raining where I live, not looking great.  I did wonder if the weather might decide things - a shame, but if it does maybe it’s 1-1 on games saved.

Hugely flatters the Aussies I think. We could and probably should have won every game. We have lost it more than they have won it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The BBC are saying the review was for whether or not Smith hit the ball rather than whether or not the catch was clean, they may of course be wrong...................

Yes saw that - but if so, the review can’t be lost though, as he did hit it.

Edit: This series has seen some ‘interesting’ decisions to make - most feel to have been correct in the end (maybe the Smith catch of Root wasn’t?) - but one that was particularly crap was the one that saw Pope have to field ant Lord’s and make his injury far worse. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The BBC are saying the review was for whether or not Smith hit the ball rather than whether or not the catch was clean, they may of course be wrong...................

Not sure I understand that. Reviews are there to check if an umpire's decision in giving a batsman out or not is correct. Nobody reviews whether a batman has hit the ball or not. What's the point in doing that?

It has to be to check if the catch was taken or not. 

3 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Not sure I understand that. Reviews are there to check if an umpire's decision in giving a batsman out or not is correct. Nobody reviews whether a batman has hit the ball or not. What's the point in doing that?

Teams do review to see if the ball has been hit quite often? For catches it is pretty important...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Canary said:

No the review was to see if he hit it. Whether the catch is cleanly taken is not something the teams review, that’s an umpires review 

• Thanks 1

Aus should do this comfortably from here. Immensely frustrating if they do. To lose a series 3-1 in which I think we’ve been the better side generally.