cambridgeshire canary

Should McGovern start tomorrow against Blackpool?

I mean it's not like we have anything to play for right? Might as well start McGovern, anyone else who is leaving such as Pukki and throw in some youth players too and see how they do. After all this might as well be just an early pre season match if you ask me.. And given Blackpool are already relegated it's not like they care too much about this match either

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

If we’re opening up to the possibility of people miles outside the 1st team getting a game, maybe I’ll bring my boots just in case!

I seem to recall that, whenever he has been called upon, that McGovern has done quite well.

Clearly, there must be flaws in his play otherwise he wouldn't have been cast as the nearly man for so long.

I thought that he had often been useful as a goalkeeping mentor to our younger 'keepers at Colney and was slightly surprised that he is leaving the club.

Playing tomorrow would be an empty gesture and won't be necessary.

The fact that it is a total nothing games tomorrow with not even the slightest glimpse of the play-offs speaks volumes of managerial (in the wider sense) incompetence.

Yet now we have the unedifying sight of the very same individuals bigging themselves up and making less than convincing  assurances for next season.

How have they the nerve?

Unbelievable and the signs of a rudderless ship floating towards stormy seas  ... and my glass is half full.

If it wasn't for the Pukki party there could well have be the lowest league game attendance for a decade and more. If it rains it might well be. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

He has been a important part of the squad for 7 years, but I wouldn't let him play for sentimental reasons.

7 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

He's been stealing a living from the club for the past 7 years, so no point in changing anything now.

Yet anytime he's been needed he's come in, done a great job and kept his head up and his mouth shut. What else do you want from a 3rd choice player?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

I seem to recall that, whenever he has been called upon, that McGovern has done quite well.

Clearly, there must be flaws in his play otherwise he wouldn't have been cast as the nearly man for so long.

I thought that he had often been useful as a goalkeeping mentor to our younger 'keepers at Colney and was slightly surprised that he is leaving the club.

Playing tomorrow would be an empty gesture and won't be necessary.

The fact that it is a total nothing games tomorrow with not even the slightest glimpse of the play-offs speaks volumes of managerial (in the wider sense) incompetence.

Yet now we have the unedifying sight of the very same individuals bigging themselves up and making less than convincing  assurances for next season.

How have they the nerve?

Unbelievable and the signs of a rudderless ship floating towards stormy seas  ... and my glass is half full.

If it wasn't for the Pukki party there could well have be the lowest league game attendance for a decade and more. If it rains it might well be. 

I remember when we purchased McGovern on the back of stand out performances in the Euros (if my memory serves me well). Went to the 1st pre-season at Carrow Road and watched him in the warm up to see what he was like. He couldn't catch a cold. But he hasn't really let us down when called upon

I wouldn't be averse. Not quite good enough all round to be first choice but seems to have been a good egg & the ideal back up goalie;  I can't say I remember any howlers when he did play. Perhaps he could come on at the end?

By all accounts a really great person. Squadmates almost always refer to MM when asked who their favourite teammates are.

In other circumstances I could see him getting a game, but tomorrow will be all about Teemu.

we are won 1 win in 10 it is a must win game to be honest 

we can not back a manager with a record of 1 win in 11  record going into next season ,

maybe thats the plan lose or draw tomorrow and no excuses wagner must go 

I wouldn't mind if he started, but I'm expecting Krul to.

No point in getting in a lather over tomorrow's team selection. It's a totally meaningless game otherthan for Teemu.

Wagner will be slinging him on with 4 others on 70 mins when we are chasing a morale victory boost.  5 upfront as per usual.  Cannot believe we are giving him the rebuilding job.  Needs to work with his own selections nonsense.

9 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

we are won 1 win in 10 it is a must win game to be honest 

It really isn't 

17 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

It really isn't 

well if wagner can not get a win tomorrow why is he the man to take us forward making it 1 win in 11

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean it's not like we have anything to play for right? Might as well start McGovern, anyone else who is leaving such as Pukki and throw in some youth players too and see how they do. After all this might as well be just an early pre season match if you ask me.. And given Blackpool are already relegated it's not like they care too much about this match either

Mark Rivers and Greg Downs too? Nothing to lose and might aid the team. 

20 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

well if wagner can not get a win tomorrow why is he the man to take us forward making it 1 win in 11

Whether it's 1 win in 11 or 2 in 11 doesn't really make any odds though does it. 

It's a  meaningless end of season game that neither side is that bothered about

There's a good case to be made for giving him a run out in the last few minutes for the crowd to show their appreciation.

We are rebuilding for next season. That starts tomorrow. This is not a testimonial game, either. The players are being hugely paid. The supporters have paid. I expect some are paid less in a year than some on the pitch are paid each week.So nothing less than a full bloodied ripping into Blackpool will be acceptable. Pretty much every player out there needs to show the manager, and us, why they should be here next season.

If they think any game is meaningless then they need to look elsewhere for somewhere to play, Because we are going to need 100% next season, at every game from every player.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I remember when we purchased McGovern on the back of stand out performances in the Euros (if my memory serves me well). Went to the 1st pre-season at Carrow Road and watched him in the warm up to see what he was like. He couldn't catch a cold. But he hasn't really let us down when called upon

He couldn't catch anything in the Euros either but he was a good shot stopper.  Which is pretty much what he was here.  Good pro.  Exceptional 3rd choice keeper at our level.  As you say, has never let us down when called upon.  Don't get the criticism really - what do people expect.  I doubt he is on ridiculous money given where he came from ?!

But Pukki - and possibly Krul if he is off - aside, play the first team with a sprinkling of fringe kids if they are pushing for the matchday squad for the experience.