Sign in to follow this  
king canary

A few free agent options

If we don't get promoted (feels highly likely at this point) and we don't have a big budget for next season, I thought it would be interesting to look at a few players with experience in this country and contracts expiring soon who might be of interest....

Jack Stacey (27) RB- good age and experienced with solid game time at both Championship and Premier League level. A potential replacement for Aarons if he leaves and an upgrade on Byram. Also 5' 11" which might help our vulnerability to deep crosses to the far post.

Axel Tuanzebe (25) CB- a player who's career seems to have stalled somewhat since he was a vital cog in promotion for Villa. Injuries are a concern and have limited his playing time of late but he's still a quality player in a position we look weak in. 

Jake Cooper (28) CB- Another defender and a model of consistency for Millwall over the years. If they don't go up he could be the perfect 'solid' addition to the backline.

Alex Pritchard (29) AM- probably not the most popular option but seems to have gotten his career back on track post the ill-fated move to Huddersfield and would be an exciting creative option to help supply whoever is leading the line for us this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pritchard could be interesting - did Wagner sign and work with him at Huddersfield?

could be decent competition for Dowell

3 minutes ago, Leedscanary said:

Pritchard could be interesting - did Wagner sign and work with him at Huddersfield?

Dowell is out of contract this summer isn't he?

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Dowell is out of contract this summer isn't he?

Yeah, but I expect given the way he started with Wagner that the boss would like to keep him around. 

Other interesting field to look at would be Premier League players on loan at clubs at the bottom end of championship or top end of league one. 

As let’s be honest next season will hinge on getting more Skipps and less Patrick Roberts.

Not Pritchard. He thought he was better than us and couldn't wait to get away.

Axel was amazing for me on football manager so he must be good! If the injuries are behind him sign him up!

The others sound promising 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Ashley Barnes 

I think this is a really good shout. Replaces the experience we're losing and would fit Wagner's game far more than Pukki. 

29 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think this is a really good shout. Replaces the experience we're losing and would fit Wagner's game far more than Pukki. 

Got that ****ishness that we lack as well. No more nice Norwich with him leading the line.

Edit: Didn't realise he was 33, might scupper that

Edited by canarydan23

I'd much rather go with our own youngsters (or indeed other clubs youngsters) than shell out millions in wages on a few hasbeens. 

8 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I'd much rather go with our own youngsters (or indeed other clubs youngsters) than shell out millions in wages on a few hasbeens. 

Which of these 4 players are you describing as 'hasbeens?' 

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Where's our DM? Surely this summer has got to be when we finally sign one...

Not many decent defensive midfielders with expiring contracts realistically in our range. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Not many decent defensive midfielders with expiring contracts realistically in our range. 

It is a hard position to fill, isn't it? Basically the post important role in the side. No idea what money we're going to have to spend this summer, but this is where I'd be spending it. Just don't know enough about non-NCFC players to know who we should target.

The problem with free agents is that he and his agent usually demand a signing on fee which most clubs apportion over their contract.

When the move doesn't work out some bright spark will come up with 'why are we paying this bloke insert large amount of money here grand a week, he's useless'.

21 hours ago, Leedscanary said:

Why on earth would Pritchard come back here? Given any sort of decent offer from The Mackems he will stay there. 

I doubt we'd even consider Pritchard but have we ever had a player/manager who left and then came back be ok the second time round?

Darel Russell maybe. Crook if you count his day as an Ipswich player!

Certainly not Walker, Fleck, Gunn

On 21/04/2023 at 15:53, king canary said:

If we don't get promoted (feels highly likely at this point) and we don't have a big budget for next season, I thought it would be interesting to look at a few players with experience in this country and contracts expiring soon who might be of interest....

Jack Stacey (27) RB- good age and experienced with solid game time at both Championship and Premier League level. A potential replacement for Aarons if he leaves and an upgrade on Byram. Also 5' 11" which might help our vulnerability to deep crosses to the far post.

Axel Tuanzebe (25) CB- a player who's career seems to have stalled somewhat since he was a vital cog in promotion for Villa. Injuries are a concern and have limited his playing time of late but he's still a quality player in a position we look weak in. 

Jake Cooper (28) CB- Another defender and a model of consistency for Millwall over the years. If they don't go up he could be the perfect 'solid' addition to the backline.

Alex Pritchard (29) AM- probably not the most popular option but seems to have gotten his career back on track post the ill-fated move to Huddersfield and would be an exciting creative option to help supply whoever is leading the line for us this season.

I'd definitely be interested in Tuanzebe. Always thought he looked quite decent. But if he's another who's stalled due to injury then I think a lot of fans would be suspicious as let's face it, we've not had much luck with that sort of player!

Oli McBurnie (26) striker

and 

Jay DaSilva (25) or Mitchell Djiks (30) - both left backs

Would be my picks,

I think that left back is a problem position, in that neither of our left backs are good enough, and McBurnie is an under rated player and the traditional old school number 9 type which has traditionally thrived at Norwich. 

Would be handy if we could find a decent free agent DM somewhere also.

On 22/04/2023 at 07:47, king canary said:

Which of these 4 players are you describing as 'hasbeens?' 

All of them. They're free agents for a reason. If they're not good enough to get a new contract where they are they're not good enough for us and if they didn't sign their offer because they're wanting more money they're probably too expensive for us.

We already know Pritchard is a money grabbing **** and Ashley Barnes is hardly the future.

We should be signing hungry 19-23 year olds with promise from PL teams who can't get a game to go with our contracted older players who are going nowhere like Hanley, Gibson, Hernandez etc. We don't need any more mercenaries.

10 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

All of them. They're free agents for a reason. If they're not good enough to get a new contract where they are they're not good enough for us and if they didn't sign their offer because they're wanting more money they're probably too expensive for us.

We already know Pritchard is a money grabbing **** and Ashley Barnes is hardly the future.

We should be signing hungry 19-23 year olds with promise from PL teams who can't get a game to go with our contracted older players who are going nowhere like Hanley, Gibson, Hernandez etc. We don't need any more mercenaries.

That is...a take. 

Tuanzebe for example is a Man U player- so you're saying because he isn't good enough to get a contract with the team currently 4th in the Premier League he isn't good enough for us?