Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Dean Smith

Sensible Pinkun thread threatens to get derailed and personal by people trying to score points off each other before it gets to the second page. Shock!

9 minutes ago, Yellowfuture said:

Not in relation to this specific game, but I have to state the obvious that sacking Rogers to appoint Smith was a brainless decision, sacking Farke to appoint Smith was an order of magnitude greater on the stupidity scale. 

Well, the jury is still rather out on whether it was a good move to sack Smith and bring in Wagner... kind of competes a weird circle.

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 minutes ago, Yellowfuture said:

Not in relation to this specific game, but I have to state the obvious that sacking Rogers to appoint Smith was a brainless decision, sacking Farke to appoint Smith was an order of magnitude greater on the stupidity scale. 

It's going on everywhere, look at Chelsea and Franky boy.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Swear anytime Haaland comes close to getting a hatrick he gets subbed off

I think that's the third time pep has taken him off after getting two goals. I'd be pissed off if I was Haaland.  Maybe he has no more room to keep all the match balls.😉

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

He's only got six hat-tricks so far this season, after all.

The guy is an unbelievable 👏 machine. Unstoppable. On a lighter note, just seen that our old boy todd cantwell got a goal and two assists today. 

47 minutes ago, Yellowfuture said:

I still haven't got over that sacking. Some say it is better he went, but not for me. He was given a four year contract after a record breaking season and to sack him just as he was getting to grips with the hand he'd been dealt....with the horrendous starting fixture list, plus injuries, plus the nonsense over Cantwell and wee Billy.....was ridiculous. 

To then appoint Smith seemed less than inspired at the time - and so it proved to be. Biiiiggg mistake sacking Farke.

I like Leicester, so watching Deano take Leicester down will not be fun to watch.....why appoint someone who is so uninspiring when what you need is inspiration? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I still haven't got over that sacking. Some say it is better he went, but not for me. He was given a four year contract after a record breaking season and to sack him just as he was getting to grips with the hand he'd been dealt....with the horrendous starting fixture list, plus injuries, plus the nonsense over Cantwell and wee Billy.....was ridiculous. 

To then appoint Smith seemed less than inspired at the time - and so it proved to be. Biiiiggg mistake sacking Farke.

I like Leicester, so watching Deano take Leicester down will not be fun to watch.....why appoint someone who is so uninspiring when what you need is inspiration? 

With you here LDC......

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I still haven't got over that sacking. Some say it is better he went, but not for me. He was given a four year contract after a record breaking season and to sack him just as he was getting to grips with the hand he'd been dealt.

I felt he had to go before the fans turned and it all went sour.... But in hindsight, all that happened, regardless.

13 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I felt he had to go before the fans turned and it all went sour.... But in hindsight, all that happened, regardless.

This. I don’t think there was a scenario where Farke didn’t go at some point that season, he’d always end up being the sacrificial lamb for the inevitability of that seasons failure.

None of which justifies the appointment of Smith who was never the right man to replace him, but as it was pretty much a poison chalice for whoever did I think that’s largely irrelevant personally.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, it was so much more than losing a manager for us, we also lost our identity.

2021-2022 season we lost 5-0 against Man City under Farke, then 4-0 under  Smith, so 3-1 seems like they might have a fighting chance, especially when you consider Man City didn't have Haaland back then.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Monty13 said:

This. I don’t think there was a scenario where Farke didn’t go at some point that season, he’d always end up being the sacrificial lamb for the inevitability of that seasons failure.

None of which justifies the appointment of Smith who was never the right man to replace him, but as it was pretty much a poison chalice for whoever did I think that’s largely irrelevant personally.

Yes, I agree with your first point. Either Webber simply didn't realise that he'd bought a load of cr*p and genuinely believed that Farke was failing to get the most out of them, or he had realised by then that he'd screwed up big time and the most important thing for him was making as little as possible of the sh*t stick to himself. Personally, I tend towards the former possibility.

Either way, from his point of view, Farke had to go.

Then he compounded his mistake by hiring Smith. The shambles of the last two seasons can all be laid at Webber's door - that terrible recruitment window and then the decision to hire Smith. In my opinion, this happened because Webber had begun to believe his own publicity. Hubris, I think the Greeks called it.

Once tragic heroes fall, they don't come back. We need to get rid.

Edited by canarybubbles

Deano is now the departure lounge manager

you bring him in to settle you in to the relegation, he gets you comfy.

I was right 

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Swear anytime Haaland comes close to getting a hatrick he gets subbed off

He does, Pep openly admits that Haaland has to have more records to beat to keep him hungry. In addition with the pecking order for the next game, it’s always Haaland and Debryne followed by Grealish.

10 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

2021-2022 season we lost 5-0 against Man City under Farke, then 4-0 under  Smith, so 3-1 seems like they might have a fighting chance, especially when you consider Man City didn't have Haaland back then.

Leicester have got much much better players than we did 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

That's not what people said at the time about why we did so badly; it was all the clueless manager's fault.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

That's not what people said at the time;; it was all the clueless manager's fault.

People at the time said we had a squad comparable to Leicester???? Please point me in the direction of said posts??

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

A statistician on Radio 5 said the differences with Leicester this season are losing Schmeichel and Vardy getting old. He suggested those 2 factors alone have cost them 20 points. 

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

People at the time said we had a squad comparable to Leicester???? Please point me in the direction of said posts??

They didn't say that; they insisted it was all the manager and a new manager would fix everything. Well done for recognising this was clearly wrong though, which begs the question why there's a continuing hate fest...

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

They didn't say that; they insisted it was all the manager and a new manager would fix everything. Well done for recognising this was clearly wrong though, which begs the question why there's a continuing hate fest...

Literally nobody said sacking Smith fixed EVERYTHING,  stop the hyperbole. Sacking Smith was the right decision at the time, and the right decision right now, in fact it should have been the right decision the first day he ambled in here.

11 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Literally nobody said sacking Smith fixed EVERYTHING,  stop the hyperbole. Sacking Smith was the right decision at the time, and the right decision right now, in fact it should have been the right decision the first day he ambled in here.

Hyperbole sums up most of the criticism that got Smith sacked in the first place.

'Turgid dross', 'anyone' could do a better job...

The club had a clear aim of being less gung ho with more emphasis on difficult to beat. Sensible thinking in my view. This was what was needed for us to have a better chance at premier League level. Schooling the players to this philosophy after Farke needed patience, but too many fans were having none of it, so the club gave in and did a u turn after half the season, leaving us starting from scratch with half the season gone.

We are definitely no better off from sacking, and probably worse off. Ramsey's goal against us was a concrete reminder of one thing we lost.

We are no better off for having sacked Smith.

That's not an argument to sack Wagner by the way; it's an argument to let him get on with it next season and take stock the following summer the way everybody should have done with Smith.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie