TIL 1010

Dean Smith Blames The Fans.

https://www.pinkun.com/news/23444856.norwich-city-dean-smith-reflects-spell-head-coach/

Firstly Connor Southwell this was not an ' interview ' merely comments he made during his stint in the Sky studio during Millwall v Luton.

So DS could not make out why the fans turned on him which started during the home defeat to Blackburn and feels he still would have got us into the playoffs. To me it just shows how he was blissfully unaware of the disconnection with the fans which his turgid football caused and resulted in that awful poisonous night at Luton. Apparently it was a style which was grooming us for Premier survival or have i read that wrong ? Injuries to Ramsey and Hayden didn't help. Was that the Ramsey who made a double quick recovery once he returned to Villa before departing for Boro within a couple of weeks and the Hayden who turned up here injured in the first place ?

Dear me i wish the Leicester fans all the very best if and surely it is a huge if he becomes the replacement for Brendan Rodgers.

• Like 1

I couldn't believe it when I read about Leicester. Poor sods. 

He doesn't quite get it does he? 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

It was the "for whatever reason" that killed me. What an arrogant, ignorant sod. Let's hope he gets Leicester relegated, Maddison gets signed for silly money, we get a hefty sell-on fee, then we turn Leicester over at FCR early next season and get him sacked. Prat.

• Like 1

Deluded. Not exactly slagging us off but just pointing out that not getting enough points should not be an obstacle to the fans liking him.

He isn't nearly as obnoxious as Roeder was but I think he shares with him an underlying sense that he was too good to be at Norwich, with equally little justification. Our best coaches have always been those on the way up, where we've been the biggest club they've coached thus far in their careers. Coaches who've been at bigger clubs have rarely (never?) worked out for us.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Apparently it was a style which was grooming us for Premier survival

If this is true, then I'll say again that Smith and Webber really suffered from not making this clearer to fans. It was never really clear what Smith was trying to do: if it was a longer term project than 'simply' getting promoted, he'd have had a lot more chance of getting the fans onside if that had been made clearer.

• Like 1

A limited man rather than a bad man perhaps  … Let’s just let go of the anger … and breathe … 

There’s enough to focus in the present right now … 

Dean Smith is history. His ego will not accept that his own performance led to his own demise. So it had to be something else, it was the nasty supporters, it was the injuries, there was not enough money to bring in better players, the grass was the wrong shade of green. Anything to deflect responsibility for failure away from himself. However, we saw the turgid, boring , ineffectual style Dean Smith brought to the Club and can only feel sorry for the Leicester supporters if he gets that appointment.

Don't think he'll find another club with owners and many fans so tolerant, so patient. Hard to judge from afar (sadly) and so my opinion is less valid than those that show up home and away through the season, but I was amazed at how long him and Shakey were given.

38 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If this is true, then I'll say again that Smith and Webber really suffered from not making this clearer to fans. It was never really clear what Smith was trying to do: if it was a longer term project than 'simply' getting promoted, he'd have had a lot more chance of getting the fans onside if that had been made clearer.

I wonder which style he meant ?  Seemed to try a different one every week, most of which didn't seem particularly effective in the championship let alone the premiership, which makes it a rather flawed approach if we don't achieve promotion from one of the worst championship divisions in recent memory (Burnley excepted.)

IS THIS A BAD

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME???

To Bring up

The fact

That I

Waaaaaaaas

……

ErrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

IGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

IS THIS A BAD

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME???

To Bring up

The fact

That I

Waaaaaaaas

……

ErrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

IGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, timing is everything Buh 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, crispeduk said:

Yes, timing is everything Buh 🙂

Public Service announcement 

“Is this a bad time to mention I was right?”

is the new

”Why aren’t we X?”

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Public Service announcement 

“Is this a bad time to mention I was right?”

is the new

”Why aren’t we X?”

Flawed thinking really, as there's not many of us mortals who can actually use it 😀

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Flawed thinking really, as there's not many of us mortals who can actually use it 😀

It doesn’t have to be just about Dean Smith. Plenty more stuff to gloat about being right about. Go forth and multiply everyone.

• Haha 1

Not just Dean Smith blaming the support....There's more than a sanctimonious amount on here continually doing the same....

I don’t really understand the level of bile aimed at Dean Smith. He tried too hard not to be Farke I mean just clap the fans man!

Seemed like a decent bloke who inherited a car crash of a situation and after the most depressing season in living memory the margin of error this season before the natives got restless was going to be very small and that was what did for him.

It will be a very long time before another Norwich manager is sacked when the team is in the championship playoffs. For me the comparison with Roeder are well wide if the mark.

Edited by Ulfotto

4 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I don’t really understand the level of bile aimed at Dean Smith. He tried too hard not to be Farke I mean just clap the fans man!

Seemed like a decent bloke who inherited a car crash of a situation and after the most depressing season in living memory the margin of error this season before the native got restless was going to be very small and that was what did for him.

It will be a very long time before another Norwich manager is sacked when the team is in the championship playoffs. For me the comparison with Roeder are well wide if the mark.

How so?

Not only did he have the opportunity to keep us up.

But he had a twice winning Championship squad and couldn't compete with the Millwall, Luton's and Coventry's of the world.

He was an arrogant man, who ultimately it appeared put little effort in to connect to the fans or improve the on field situation.

16 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

It will be a very long time before another Norwich manager is sacked when the team is in the championship playoffs

He got sacked on the back of 3 wins in 13 games, did that look like play off form to you ?

• Like 1

One way of assessing whether a Manager is good or not is to see how they do with the squad they inherit. While we are not tearing up this league, Wagner and his assistants have encouraged much better performances from several in the squad, and done good work with our midfield, especially when it comes to goal-scoring. They've had  less scope to improve our front and back lines, which may take some time to get right.

But Smith is delusional if he thinks that he did anything other than fail, and fail repeatedly, during his time at Carrow Road.

36 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Seemed like a decent bloke who inherited a car crash of a situation and after the most depressing season in living memory the margin of error this season before the natives got restless was going to be very small and that was what did for him.

It was a false position though; we weren't quite halfway through the season and our points-per-game would've given us something like 68 or 69 over the course of the season, if I remember correctly, which is never enough for the Playoffs. I think there were five or six points separating 5th and 16th, so it was just an extremely congested upper/mid-table that resulted in us being 5th at the time.