Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Out of Contract

I know Pukki and Byram are two, who else ? Surely we can’t give Byram another, feel very sorry for him with his injuries, love to know how many minutes he has played since joining

5 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

I think there’s an argument for letting them all go but understand if Dowell and Hernandez are kept on.

Hernandez would have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of here

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good, he can take a pay cut then.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If the Club  wants him to leave  and he truly loves the Club , he wouldn't. He'd  be a man about it and stick one on SW on the way out. 

Get rid of all of them. Neither Dowell or Hernandez are good enough for a regular start if we are serious about promotion next season, when we'll likely be up against Southampton, Forest and Bournemouth. 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Get rid of all of them. Neither Dowell or Hernandez are good enough for a regular start if we are serious about promotion next season, when we'll likely be up against Southampton, Forest and Bournemouth. 

What? If Dowell leaves on a free it’s criminal. We’d never afford a replacement close to his ability at this level. 

• Like 3

All I know about Onel is in what's been a miserable season there's always that little bit if hope and belief when he's on the pitch. He lifts the crowd because we're not all coaches, some of us want something/someone to get behind. 

I love watching Onel.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

All I know about Onel is in what's been a miserable season there's always that little bit if hope and belief when he's on the pitch. He lifts the crowd because we're not all coaches, some of us want something/someone to get behind. 

I love watching Onel.

👍 agree 💯, %. Man of mystery   you never know what your gonna get.  He can be brilliant ,   he can be poor , but the feeling of hope and excitement when he's got the  ball and running  at the other teams defense.  He's a 💯 Norwich  player and is needed in this time of need. I love his attitude and he is an honest charismatic character. Old style football player.

• Like 1

Anyone who still doesn't rate Hernandez hasn't been paying attention this season.

I doubt it's coincidental that our recent drop in form has coincided with his injury. There's no attacking spark at all without him on the pitch. 

• Like 1

Oh, come on. I generally don't agree with the idea that we fans have become 'entitled', but surely Dowell and Hernandez have proved they are good enough for this league. Who are we going to get who is definitely better given the amount of money we will have to spend?

I agree the rest can go, especially the crocks.

• Like 1

Defo keep them both, Dowell at 26 could be about to hit his prime and resembles our only number 10 on paper.

In the case of Hernandez we have looked a lot worse without him.

no brainier for me that the rest out of contract leave and then we will have to try and sell a few players that don’t fit Wagners tactics and be creative in the transfer market and loan markets to bring in some talent to give us a chance.

Key areas to sort will be:

1. Back up keeper, assuming we can move Krul on, maybe one of the youngsters is ready to be a number 2 but with no McGovern you get the sense a senior pro on cheap wages is required 

2. right back - on the basis we shift Aaron’s out to balance the books and let Byram go, we only really have mumba and potentially Sorenson.

3. defensive midfield - Hayden hasn’t worked out and whilst Gibbs is promising you get the sense we need one more 

4. Wide attacker - the fact that Hernandez is our best is worrying really. Tzolis, Rowe, Springett might all have potential but assuming Rashica is sold then this for me is high up the list of urgents

5. striker - I add this one as I assume that Sargent might have to be shifted out to balance the books which would leave us very light. If he stays then him and Idah should be ok but both are a major step down from Pukki. 

I think it would also make sense to shift one of Hanley/Gibson and make are omobamidiele becomes first choice, try and shift placheta, Rashica maybe Tzolis if we could get a decent fee.

feels like it could be a desperate summer 

39 minutes ago, Big O said:

Dowell at 26 could be about to hit his prime and resembles our only number 10 on paper.

I know he isn't rated by some but it's noticeable that we haven't created many chances while he's been injured 

This place is mental. Dowell and Onel were making a major difference to our attacking output before the injuries, and looked like the solution we'd been looking for to create for Teemu. And you wouldn't offer them new contracts? That's potentially 6/7/8m worth of championship talent you'd wave goodbye to for nothing? 

• Like 1

If Dowell and Onel are seriously the best we have to offer to try to get out of this league then we really have let our standards drop. Onel couldn't get in the squad the last time we were in the Champs and Dowell was a back up who did OK when he played.

The league is much stronger now and next year will be pretty bloody when we consider the three likely to come down, plus a strong 1p5wich and two others coming up, which could include a rejuvenated Sheff Weds and Derby.

If those two re-sign for us then it's mid-table at best next year.

11 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

If Dowell and Onel are seriously the best we have to offer to try to get out of this league then we really have let our standards drop.

Depends if you're judging them by name, or what they were doing under Wagner before both got injured.

18 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Whilst I agree with you there, they're both handy players to have in the squad. We'd either have to spend good money to replace them, or pick up other clubs' cast-offs, so we may as well keep those two to add depth. 

I'm not privvy to contract discussions, but I suspect when a player is out of contract at 26 and looking up, his agent will be looking for a signing on fee and a hefty wage. It would probably cost us more to keep Dowell than to sign a player better suited to the way Wagner wants to set up. Hernandez would probably be cheaper at his age and career stage but if both players are not starters in a team striving for top two, why waste our money?

GET... 

ONEL..... 

A..... 

CONTRACT..... 

NOW!!!!! 

in all seriousness, just give him a new 2/3 year deal, let him see out his career here even if he's just a squad player by the end of it - some explosiveness off the bench, he deserves it.