I doubt there's many who don't rate him. His name gets sung more per 90 minutes than any other player. I think question marks were rightfully raised when we paid a reported 5m for him and in those first scattered performances last year he looked clumsy and more comfortable trying to save with his legs than hands but he's settled down and is more than good enough. We've been spoiled with good keepers since I've been supporting so expectations are really high. Green-Marshall-Forster-Ruddy-Krul and now Gunn when they played for us and in their prime are all really good keepers. I get the sense that even before my time we've almost always had a good GK, some clubs really struggle with this position but we don't, it's something we usually get right. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

He gets better and better. I have always tended to prefer Krul, but not so sure now.

Shocker, younger keeper overtakes older keeper! 

I’m trying to work out….do those stats tell us something about how crap our defence is at protecting their keeper?

My issue with using % is that it is misleading and gives no notion of the physical number involved.  Believe me, as a management accountant it really can make people focus on the wrong thing.

1 hour ago, NFN FC said:

How does one prevent xG? 

It's just a way of looking at the overall quality of shots he's facing, rather than just the number of shots. You can save 30 shots from 40 yards that dribble into your arms or 3 shots that are in the penalty area and they're obviously valued as much bigger saves.

Ironic that if our defence was better he may not have got the chance to show how good he is and get in the Scotland squad.

He was unlucky to lose his place when Wagner first took over imo. Huge fans favorite. I hope we can keep hold of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

It's just a way of looking at the overall quality of shots he's facing, rather than just the number of shots. You can save 30 shots from 40 yards that dribble into your arms or 3 shots that are in the penalty area and they're obviously valued as much bigger saves.

I see

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Expected goals, the hints in the name ?

Sure is, Mister Chafing Carrot

I remain a bit of a skeptic.

He's a very good shot stopper but the command of his area is lacking still. There was a save he made first half v Stoke from a close range header that gets lot of praise for being a good save but he actually wouldn't have had to make it if I'd come and claimed the cross initially as he should have done.

I think he's very solid for this level but another I'd want to upgrade if we got promoted.

Edited by king canary
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Expected goals, the hints in the name ?

I know what you mean but there's reasons other than the keeper's performance that contribute. For example the one Sargent missed in the PL when he just had to roll it into an empty net must have been close to an XG of 1 yet the keeper played no part

31 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I know what you mean but there's reasons other than the keeper's performance that contribute. For example the one Sargent missed in the PL when he just had to roll it into an empty net must have been close to an XG of 1 yet the keeper played no part

Quite so - statistics and data can easily mislead if you don’t know what you’re looking at. They rarely tell you the truth without further external information, and it is easy to cherry-pick ‘good’ whilst omitting the ‘bad’.

Gunn’s done well since coming back, that’s largely down to him doing his job well.  We don’t really need statistics when we can see things with our own eyes.

Edited by Branston Pickle

11 hours ago, NFN FC said:

Sure is, Mister Chafing Carrot

Lots of laughter

FWIW I had the same puzzlement

Angus - Scotland's Number Gunn. Hope he does well with them

30 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

A very average keeper. Definite upgrade needed in that department.

Or, the best shot-stopper in the league.

• Like 1

Having just watched highlights, that defence was nowhere, utterly lost, good job Gunny was on song and some poor finishing or we could have lost four zip easily.

As a stand-alone sets of stats it’s good, no question.

Is there an ‘xG created by defensive errors/lapses’ stat? That wouldn’t make for such good reading, I’m sure. 

Gunn has made the Championship team of the week.

I don't think he'll like having Colin as a manager though.

20230320_122827.jpg

Edited by Pyro Pete

Just realised. He's in in with an unlikely shout of playing against Haaland in the qualifiers(In June) as our main keeper is out and also 40 so there's a chance to stake a claim. Home to Cyrpus and Spain in March nae danger.

On 19/03/2023 at 18:50, hogesar said:

For anyone who still doesn't think he's good enough..

I don't think anybody really questioned whether he was "good enough", but many questioned whether he was imposing himself enough and whether he was vocal enough, whether he was good at organising the defence. Nobody questioned his shot stopping, or aerial ability, or his ability with his feet, saw it all when he was here on loan from Man City. Just wanted to see a bit more oomph and for him to come of age, felt like the eternal prospect when the reality is that he's 27 and halfway through his career.

Still want to see a bit more passion really, bit more shouting at the people in front of him for making him work so hard. Then again want to see it from the whole squad, need more leaders throughout the team.

He has without a doubt nailed that number 1 shirt now though, and Krul looking like an obvious one to shift in the summer for the inevitable summer cloth cutting. Partly due to Gunn improving, partly due to Krul regressing.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't think anybody really questioned whether he was "good enough", but many questioned whether he was imposing himself enough and whether he was vocal enough, whether he was good at organising the defence. Nobody questioned his shot stopping, or aerial ability, or his ability with his feet, saw it all when he was here on loan from Man City. Just wanted to see a bit more oomph and for him to come of age, felt like the eternal prospect when the reality is that he's 27 and halfway through his career.

Still want to see a bit more passion really, bit more shouting at the people in front of him for making him work so hard. Then again want to see it from the whole squad, need more leaders throughout the team.

He has without a doubt nailed that number 1 shirt now though, and Krul looking like an obvious one to shift in the summer for the inevitable summer cloth cutting. Partly due to Gunn improving, partly due to Krul regressing.

Yeah, people did. 

59 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, people did. 

Oh well.

Players stock can go up and down, based on performances and consistency. 

If his stock has risen in line with those factors then good for him.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Oh well.

Players stock can go up and down, based on performances and consistency. 

If his stock has risen in line with those factors then good for him.

Uh, obviously.