Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Vierra gone

Football clubs in the EPL get more desperate every week. For most it’s only about survival and nothing else. 

• Like 1

Wow couldn't see this one coming, but then I wasn't aware they hadn't won a game in 2023.

Sol Campbell getting ready for his BBC sport interview as we speak... 

Correct decision. They are only 3 pts off the drop having played a game more.

If their winless run continues there's a pretty good chance they will be relegated.

52 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hope they go for Carrick😊

Carrick will stick with Middlesbrough. And Palace are just proof yet again that apart from a very few clubs the idea of becoming established in the Premier League is a fantasy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Carrick will stick with Middlesbrough. And Palace are just proof yet again that apart from a very few clubs the idea of becoming established in the Premier League is a fantasy.

"the idea of becoming established in the Premier League is a fantasy"

I don't know seems Fulham and Brentford are trying, still got some time though..

29 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I don't know seems Fulham and Brentford are trying, still got some time though..

No team should have a 'divine right' to stay in the Premier League, nor get promoted to it.

Personally I think it's great that clubs like Everton, Leicester and West Ham are threatened with relegation, whilst the likes of Fulham and Brentford have survived so far.

What happens next season is another matter!

47 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And Brighton!!

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Imagine being Palace and sacking your manager while 12th. I mean yes he's not won a game in like three months or whatever but it's not like they are 19th

Couldn’t you make the exact same argument about us sacking Smith when we were 5th or 6th?

That said I think this sacking does seem quite harsh, one of those months was a World Cup for starters, they’ve had some tough games and been unlucky in others.

You’d think he’d have more credit in the bank considering it’s the first time they’d been a pleasing side to watch in the PL whilst remaining competitive! Albeit not so much in recent games. I’d have probably given him a couple more games, they do have a little leeway with the bottom 3 still.

Not expecting to see a massive improvement from them under a new manager to be honest. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

They are surviving, in some style admittedly.

The issue for non top tier clubs is it only takes one bad season.

Established PL club is a fantasy for most teams who haven’t been there the whole time.

• Like 1

The same way that Swansea did? Or Charlton? Or Stoke? Or Bolton? etc etc. You miss the valid point being made by Purple in its entirety.

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yeah basically 14 or so teams are one bad season away from relegation. Gravity has even caught up with Everton who were the traditional 'best of the rest.' 

@PurpleCanaryis right I'm afraid. At the start of next season 7 teams are virtually guaranteed safety. Any of the other 13 could go down. If Fulham and Brentford are still there in 5 years I'll be very surprised. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah basically 14 or so teams are one bad season away from relegation.

Or even one injury, as with us and Gunn in 1994-5

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I remember thinking last season how hard it was for us to compete in the transfer market with 'established' PL clubs like Southampton...

• Like 1

Huh?  Fulham have been up one season, and Brentford two!  That's not established is it!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Huh?  Fulham have been up one season, and Brentford two!  That's not established is it!

Yes, he's somehow picked out two of the worst examples he could have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

56 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

They are surviving, in some style admittedly.

The issue for non top tier clubs is it only takes one bad season.

Established PL club is a fantasy for most teams who haven’t been there the whole time.

Yes, a club can have stayed up for some time, but one bad season, one bad managerial choice, and relegation looms.

Look at teams who are still well in the mix to go down. Leicester, West Ham, Leeds, Wolves, Palace, Everton. There are some big spending clubs with very wealthy owners, bar perhaps 6 or 7 teams, most clubs are a bad season from relegation. 

23 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Fulham have only been up 1 season

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they lose Mitrovic in the summer and go down next year

23 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

If their winless run continues there's a pretty good chance they will be relegated.

Survival only delays the inevitable, they'll lose Zaha on a free in the summer and he's been bailing them out for years. 

Just now, Deptford Yellow said:

If you look at the teams currently in the Chumps they’ve virtually all been in the Premier league in relatively recent memory ….

Yup. We're playing one of these 'established PL clubs' this afternoon.

They were a bit if a yo-yo team for a while - I seem to recall Darrell Russell swapping about between us and Stoke and which ever side he wasn’t playing for getting promoted lol ! 

23 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, a club can have stayed up for some time, but one bad season, one bad managerial choice, and relegation looms.

Semantics, but established surely doesn’t mean “guaranteed to be so forever”?

Otherwise, by your definition, Everton, a club who have been in the top flight continuously for 70 odd years, second longest continuous streak, third most seasons in the top flight out of all clubs in the country, would still not be an established premier league club because they are this season 1 point off the relegation zone having played a game more than two sides in the bottom three. 

Edit: on topic though, I’m not shocked he’s been sacked but can’t see Carrick going there at the moment. Perhaps if they get an interim for the rest of the season, they stay up and Boro stay down.

Edited by Aggy

Harsh even if recent performances and results haven't been good. With two of the promoted teams defying expectations and Bournemouth being competitive at least it's a relegation scrap between mostly 'established' rich and talented teams who are all far too good to be relegation threatened and all on similar points so it's an extremely tough league this year, I'd dread to think where we'd be points wise if we were in that league this year. Every match, every team pretty much has to be on top of their game or they'll lose, you go through a bit of bad form with some tough fixtures and suddenly you're in danger. 

I get the owners thinking, they have a good team, why aren't they pushing higher and have suddenly found themselves in trouble? I'd argue it's because they're all good teams in that division now, gone are the days of teams like Bolton/Blackburn/Wigan/Sunderland somehow staying up every year with very average teams. You stick our current squad in the 2010 PL and we make a good fist of surviving because a lot of teams are beatable, stick us in this years PL and I doubt we hit 15 points. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann