chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Millwall (A/L) ****

Interesting that Wagner is still not happy with the LB position unless of course it's Giannoulis is on the left wing, Sorensen at LB in a 4-4-2?

Looks potentially like a 4-3-3.

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

A line up that Smith would’ve got slaughtered for ! But I have faith in Wagner

Few pew might get angry at that but truth hurts. This lineup stinks. Hope it works of course and knowing that I often get it wrong watch us win 3-0 🤣

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

My first thought was a 5-3-2 because Sorenson..playing as a defensive midfielder. Can't be.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I have said it before. Idah has potential but should away on loan. Marquinhos was amazing last match yet get's dropped.

Using our own players, good stuff Wagner 

• Like 1

I imagine the line up is because DW thinks it will be a bit more physical - Millwall are a strong side and better than the sum of their parts (whereas we have been the opposite too often this season).

• Like 2

Looking at it Idah over Marquinhos could well be about having a bit of extra height and strength in the side. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I see Idah who's not scored since 1922 and missed about ten open goal chances last time he played starting but Marqinhos who scored and got an assist and was our best player last match is benched..

Yes, he got a goal and an assist, but IMO he was far from our best player last game. Sara got MOTM, I think I'm right in saying, and deservedly so, with McLean not far behind.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I have said it before. Idah has potential but should away on loan. Marquinhos was amazing last match yet get's dropped.

Marquinhos wasn't amazing. He took is goal well and did ok against a dreadful team. 

We'll need more physicality against Millwall, hence Idah starts.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Marquinhos wasn't amazing. He took is goal well and did ok against a dreadful team. 

We'll need more physicality against Millwall, hence Idah starts.

Except Idah wouldn't put a dent in a plate of cold soup. He has the size but doesn't use it.

• Confused 1

Fouled be a pivotal result of disaster if beaten, surprising selection however.  Get it done lads.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Except Idah wouldn't put a dent in a plate of cold soup. He has the size but doesn't use it.

Agreed ,he was pushed all over the place last week by their number 23

I assume it's almost the same formation but Sorensen dropping a bit deeper than Nunez did, with Idah on the wing and for two reasons. First is that Idah / Sorensen / McLean / Sara are the only people who provide any sort of physicality and use at set-piece other than our central defenders. If Nunez / Gibbs / Marquinhos were in instead, we are light weight. Second is that I assume we will persist with McLean dropping to get the ball. When he does this, there is only ever one forwards pass available to him - Sara - and when he is marked / we are pressed, we have to go backwards / sideways, if Sorensen is on, he may be another option to beat their press.

Still, not what I expected or would have chosen, but he's done well so far and earned enough credit, so let's see how it goes.

• Like 1

Don't think it'll be wing-backs with Giannoulis, Aarons AND Hernandez in there. Suspect Lungi's going to be sitting deep in midfield.

I'd assume (hope!) that it's a double pivot of McLean and Sorensen with Sara more advanced at no 10.

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Amazing? 

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems Sky does not know what's going on either🤣

FqYcZRYWIAATLrs?format=jpg&name=900x900

Giannoulis in centre midfield and Pukki on the RIGHT WING??? What the...........?

Can I just say, a proper Deano scrabbled team selection lets hope it is not a sign of things to come.  Otbc

Edited by Newtopia

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Really hope that's wrong. Idah on the wing is about as good as Sargent on the wing.

We have to have a physical presence / out ball though. Not ideal but the best we have at the moment.

I think it's a 352 but I'm probably wrong. If we knew anything about Millwall it may help but it clearly looks specific to the game 

• Like 1

Could it be 4-4-2 with giannoulis playing on wing ahead of Sorensen at full back?

Dimi and Hernandez chucking in balls for Idah with Pukki there for knock downs?

At leat should take Millwall by surprise!

Extra man in midfield for me, Idah starting for his height/strength/defensive discipline over the wide men in the squad.

As with any team selection it will be judged on the result! 

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think it's a 352 but I'm probably wrong. If we knew anything about Millwall it may help but it clearly looks specific to the game 

Indeed.  I don’t think it’s necessarily a game for the likes of Marquinhos from the start.  Horses for courses - a portion of our supporters seem to think you just do the same and let them worry about us, but things are far more nuanced and they are actually ahead of us in the league.

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Could it be 4-4-2 with giannoulis playing on wing ahead of Sorensen at full back?

Dimi and Hernandez chucking in balls for Idah with Pukki there for knock downs?

At leat should take Millwall by surprise!

Doubt it, with Hernandez there. Unless Hernandez is playing right-wing, which would amaze me as a start. I think it's 4-3-3 with Idah on a flank and Lungi sitting.

My guess is that Wagner had spotted we've been suspect against teams with a high physical press. Sorenson is to give more options to negate that.