Captain Holt

All is not so rosy down the road either....

7 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We have a play-off final against Luton and them Derby. I know who I'd put my money on!

me too

a Luton/Derby double

7 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Binners have a pretty big gap to 2nd, but 8pts is definitely not insurmountable with 1/3 of the season to go…that said, there are now other form sides like Derby and Bolton who might be more likely to challenge.  

Yes, but if you assume the teams below them win games in hand they only have a 4 point gap to dropping out of the playoffs altogether... The problems if having a premier league team in league one I guess 🙄

8 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

They are 4th now. They couldn’t could they? 

Their biggest threat to a top 6 place is Wycombe. They may look some way off at the moment but they were in 13th place in November and are now 7th. They are only 4 points behind if they win their game in hand and they have a manager who knows how it's done. 

I've just had a quick look at TWTD and the ones who can do whole sentences are starting to doubt a top 6 finish. 

I did read one hilarious comment to the effect that this is what happens if you field a team of Championship players in League 1. Perhaps that's our problem too. We simply have too many Premier League players in the Championship 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They'll be fine at the end of the season when they have their 'biggest club in league one' and 'glorious history' bonus points added on!

• Haha 2

They're in trouble - make no mistake about it.  The rot has set in.  My gut says that they'll limp over the play-off line but there is not a cat in hell's chance that they beat Bolton or Derby over two legs.  They're not coming up, of that I am extremely confident.

They are particularly fragile when the pressure is on (team and fans). Also have quite an astonishing ability to 'whimp out' when the exact opposite is needed at times.

Reality is that there are many poor teams in that league and they should easily make the playoffs.

Unless, of course, they do their usual and cave in under pressure again. I've said time and again that the support there is pitifully weak and lacks a backbone. I suspect the negativity just rolls down to the playing staff.

Repetitive 

They'll make the playoffs, but the aspirations down there are much higher. It's pretty funny that they have lost faith in the manager in a matter of months. Was a shame Derby couldn't nick a win last night. 

There forum is pretty wild at the moment. They are in bad form and likely won't make the top 2 but they are still in the playoffs and have a solid chance of promotion. Reading TWTD though, you'd think they were firmly stuck in midtable- loads of talk about planning for next season, what do they need in the summer to get promoted next year etc etc. 

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

There forum is pretty wild at the moment. They are in bad form and likely won't make the top 2 but they are still in the playoffs and have a solid chance of promotion. Reading TWTD though, you'd think they were firmly stuck in midtable- loads of talk about planning for next season, what do they need in the summer to get promoted next year etc etc. 

Sounds a lot like this one!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure they do have a solid chance of promotion. They are a bit like us in that they struggle to get results against the teams in the top quarter of the league and get the majority of their points from beating teams in the bottom half. You can't win the playoffs without being two of the league's best teams.

A bizarre set of fans . The entitlement is handed down through the generations like no other team you can think of. A ten year period had them at the top of the football pyramid roughly from mid 70’s to mid 80’s (at a push) 

Winning a cup that isn’t played for anymore  by beating teams from countries that no longer exist  was a very very long time ago. Yet still they honestly believe they should take their place (as one of the more deluded fans said)  at the “top table” . 

Long may it continue. Any organisation with its attention firmly set at yesteryear will struggle. The competitive advantage they have should see them miles clear - their wages will be double most of the division but still our great green clad Plymouth friends are showing them the way 

3 hours ago, East Rider said:

They are particularly fragile when the pressure is on (team and fans). Also have quite an astonishing ability to 'whimp out' when the exact opposite is needed at times.

Reality is that there are many poor teams in that league and they should easily make the playoffs.

Unless, of course, they do their usual and cave in under pressure again. I've said time and again that the support there is pitifully weak and lacks a backbone. I suspect the negativity just rolls down to the playing staff.

Repetitive 

If you took this post out of context I reckon most people would think you're describing us!

5 hours ago, The Raptor said:

They'll be fine at the end of the season when they have their 'biggest club in league one' and 'glorious history' bonus points added on!

…don’t you get a point per star on your badge?

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If you took this post out of context I reckon most people would think you're describing us!

I know what you mean except our record when chasing promotion has been very solid once we’re in hunt. They’ve not really been in the hunt for promotion from any division until this year at all this century AFAIR.

• Like 1

“ I'm nearer to 30 than 20 and I have never seen us have any success. We can't even seem to manage to get out of the third tier “ 😁

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I'm nearer to 30 than 20 and I have never seen us have any success. We can't even seem to manage to get out of the third tier “ 😁

ROFL..............he should count himself lucky that he's not a Newcastle fan - they'd have to be well over 60 to remember having any 'success' bar the odd promotion 😉

Edited by C.I.D

7 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I understand your point. However, we (the team) tend to show up for big games and our support knows this. There is definitely a group moan or more when it is obvious things are not right on the field and in that regard, rightly or wrongly, our support make their feelings loud and known, generally very quickly.

Their support however, tend to always let matters fester until the rot is very deep with little in the way of fan protest or action (save a few kids with a flare at their training ground). That is a weakness they seam to be riddled with. The ippo team itself is fragile and continually buckles under pressure. They have spent a fortune relatively speaking and it's still going south

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, East Rider said:

I understand your point. However, we (the team) tend to show up for big games and our support knows this. There is definitely a group moan or more when it is obvious things are not right on the field and in that regard, rightly or wrongly, our support make their feelings loud and known, generally very quickly.

Their support however, tend to always let matters fester until the rot is very deep with little in the way of fan protest or action (save a few kids with a flare at their training ground). That is a weakness they seam to be riddled with. The ippo team itself is fragile and continually buckles under pressure. They have spent a fortune relatively speaking and it's still going south

I've had a look and Plymouth and Weds are on target to finish on 99 points. Points per game. That would mean the binners needing 42 more points out of their remaining 15 games (45 points). No certainty the former will reach that target. But it does suggest the play offs.