Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

"Onel Hernández has no end product"

Is something that has been said on here a lot recently alongside calls for him to be sold from time to time. And while I do understand that he may not be the best finisher on the planet (Just look at his two missed chances today) I think we all can agree that when he's at his best like today dancing around and causing chaos and defenders to fall over with just tricks and pure skill he is a joy to watch. And yes, he is indeed a ""passion merchant"" and I don't care honestly I love him for it and long may it continue.

• Like 2

Having so many players up the pitch with him is exactly how to make use of Hernandez. He's clumsy and erratic but that doesn't matter when there are so many people about to 'pick up the pieces'.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Having so many players up the pitch with him is exactly how to make use of Hernandez. He's clumsy and erratic but that doesn't matter when there are so many people about to 'pick up the pieces'.

I wish I was that clumsy 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

He’s always been a decent threat, but is somewhat hit and miss (like his shots!)….the goal today was scrappier than it needed to be and he missed a great chance a bit later, but starting and playing well will give him confidence so all’s good.

Could have had a hat trick today. And the one chance he did score, he nearly fluffed. But that's Onel.

Nice to see him get his head up though, once he's beaten the full back.

The miss was bad. Rush of blood to the head, I think. The downside of the upside of his incredible passion and enthusiasm.

I still think he had a very good game, though.

You want him running at teams and into spaces. We attacked teams so slowly under Smith that he was always faced up against a packed and organized defense or if he did get the ball on the counter not enough players got up quick enough in support. He doesn't have the end product to play the type of role for sure, you don't want him thinking too much and having to pick a pass, you want him running and playing on instinct which is what he'll get to do in a Wagner team. He was at his best in Farke's first promotion season when we were more gung ho.  It's no co-incidence to me that now that we attack teams at pace he's suddenly useful again as opposed to being asked to break down teams in a slow, ponderous Smith team or within the more controlled style of football we saw in Farke's second promotion season. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

You want him running at teams and into spaces. We attacked teams so slowly under Smith that he was always faced up against a packed and organized defense or if he did get the ball on the counter not enough players got up quick enough in support. He doesn't have the end product to play the type of role for sure, you don't want him thinking too much and having to pick a pass, you want him running and playing on instinct which is what he'll get to do in a Wagner team. He was at his best in Farke's first promotion season when we were more gung ho.  It's no co-incidence to me that now that we attack teams at pace he's suddenly useful again as opposed to being asked to break down teams in a slow, ponderous Smith team or within the more controlled style of football we saw in Farke's second promotion season. 

Just nailed why I think Placheta could come good under Wagner - this high-octane approach suits athletes playing on instinct, and Placheta's definitely got the workrate to go with it. He struggles when he's got to pick locks or when teams sit deep. In more harum-scarum spells, it might get him going.

• Like 2

The main difference is that he's started looking to cut the ball back when he gets into the wide areas. That's infinitely more dangerous than hitting head high crosses. Coventry did keep leaving him in acres of space though. There were two or three other occasions where he could have been played in with a better pass or two. 

He still leaves a hole behind him which left Gianonoulis exposed in the first half - although all Dimi's errors in the first half were one vs one rather than overloads.

Good to see him back to his erratic best. His strengths and weaknesses were all on display today. But it's all about finding ways to maximise the former and mitigate the latter and we're generally better setup to do both. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Just nailed why I think Placheta could come good under Wagner - this high-octane approach suits athletes playing on instinct, and Placheta's definitely got the workrate to go with it. He struggles when he's got to pick locks or when teams sit deep. In more harum-scarum spells, it might get him going.

If Wagner gets Placheta going we should offer him a fifty-year contract since it will be clear the guy is a magician.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Onel though, has significantly more natural ability than Placheta. Placheta can't really beat a player for example, but Onel can for fun.

I dont expect Placheta to play for us again. 

As for Onel, he doesn't have much end product but we offer him simple options now and he's far better for it. If he did have significant end product he would probably have had a hattrick but he also wouldn't be playing for Norwich.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Is something that has been said on here a lot recently alongside calls for him to be sold from time to time. And while I do understand that he may not be the best finisher on the planet (Just look at his two missed chances today) I think we all can agree that when he's at his best like today dancing around and causing chaos and defenders to fall over with just tricks and pure skill he is a joy to watch. And yes, he is indeed a ""passion merchant"" and I don't care honestly I love him for it and long may it continue.

Have to say, it looks like Wagner is already getting more out of Hernandez than Farke did.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

A winger like Onel is a real must for us. He is an outlet, a chance for the defence and midfield to reorganise and also a chance to counter. He is as keen as mustard and pace frightens anyone and makes CBs very nervous.

If he could deliver and score he wouldn't be with us. He would be in the EPL. He is Redmond without the goals.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Have to say, it looks like Wagner is already getting more out of Hernandez than Farke did.

That's optimistic, wasn't he was close to 20 g/a in the first promotion season? 

He's probably more important to this team than he was to Farke's team. As somebody who hasn't improved over his time here that says a lot about the wingers we've signed since. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Dunno, when Farke had him playing a full season he got 8 league goals and 9 league assists from him.

Getting 10x out of him than Smith did, though.

• Like 1

I can’t blame anyone for slating Onel this season, nor Dowell, or even Pukki in some games, hell pretty much all the team has been slated at one point or another, and mostly fairly so. 

Fresh slate for everyone, many of the players are now playing like new signings. I don’t think we need to call anyone out for prior criticisms because this isn’t the same team any more. 

Whilst Onel is still clearly a long away from being one of our best players, can we all at least agree that there isn’t a player in the team who we enjoy playing well more than him? Pure chaos to watch him on form, and every bit as passionate for the shirt off the pitch as he is on it! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Dunno, when Farke had him playing a full season he got 8 league goals and 9 league assists from him.

But maybe if the fans had cheered more for Onel when Smith was manager…?

• Haha 3

I love Hernandez. He positively affects games, and constantly makes things happen - sometimes by design, or sometimes not, but he gets us in the right areas and is a constant threat. 

Rashica, Tzolis, Cantwell, Placheta…. 100 % Hernandez every time. Criminally underused and underrated since 2019. Farke should’ve put more trust in him. He’s a weapon, a cannon. A loose one, but still a weapon!

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

1 goal in 2 games is a way better return than 8 goals over a whole season.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

1 goal in 2 games is a way better return than 8 goals over a whole season.

Top top top top Trolling.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But maybe if the fans had cheered more for Onel when Smith was manager…?

We were talking about Onel under Farke. What's your obsession with Smith?

43 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Onel though, has significantly more natural ability than Placheta. Placheta can't really beat a player for example, but Onel can for fun.

That's why we love Onel, and he is pretty damn hard to get off the ball as well.

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We were talking about Onel under Farke. What's your obsession with Smith?

What’s yours?

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't have one. I just keep on rebutting nonsense people keep posting about Smith. They need to move on.

Or you need to stop telling people the ARE wrong just because you THINK they are.  You are not special, just some contrary geezer whose ego is so inflated that he won't admit defeat, outvoted 27,000 to one. 

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Or you need to stop telling people the ARE wrong just because you THINK they are.  You are not special, just some contrary geezer whose ego is so inflated that he won't admit defeat, outvoted 27,000 to one. 

If I'd ever seen many examples of 'I think' preceding the many many opinions delivered with unwavering certainty on here, I'd be willing to accept that criticism; seeing as they don't, it's another example of your double standards.