Sign in to follow this  
PockthorpePete

Hugill

It id not taker Herr Wagner long to work out what a useles donkey Hugill is. Apparently we only need ....... two forwards on the pitch and one on the bench. Fine, until one of those three is injured. I will be surprised if the club finds someone to take him on loan in the next fortnight, and he will have a rude awakening contract wise come the summer.

He was an awful signing based on footballing ability, but he hasn't kicked up a stink or caused a bad dressing room (quite the opposite by all reports) during his time here. So he has that credit in his bank, but yeah, won't be here after the summer you imagine. 

• Like 1

Fulfilled his role in the 20/21 season by lifting the dressing room and scoring a few important goals but you feel his shelf life was over once we went up again and signed Sargeant. Good luck to him for the future.

50 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Fulfilled his role in the 20/21 season by lifting the dressing room and scoring a few important goals but you feel his shelf life was over once we went up again and signed Sargeant. Good luck to him for the future.

I find it better to think of Hugill as a very expensive loan deal- he did his job for one season but there was never a longer term life for him here. I do think the lack of money in the Championship really hurts us on these occasions- I think 4 or 5 years ago we'd have been able to sell him for £2-3m to a Cardiff or QPR type team. 

• Like 1

How many goals did he score in pre-season? Similar to if not more than any of our other strikers. But people seem to refuse to see him as anything other than a donkey. He has a very particular set of skills, but if he doesn’t play and in a situation that suits those skills, he won’t score many, if any (like Srbeny). Why this is a surprise, and why the abuse, especially when he’s always put the effort in on the odd occasion he has been called on, I don’t understand. 

(And before anyone replies to say “thanks Mrs Hugill”, I’m calling it myself).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

When a so called striker has a grand total of 71 goals at all levels with 16 clubs in 14 seasons you can probably see why some might refer to him as a donkey! Though that’s a little disrespectful as donkeys have pace! 🫣😉

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

How many goals did he score in pre-season? Similar to if not more than any of our other strikers. But people seem to refuse to see him as anything other than a donkey. He has a very particular set of skills, but if he doesn’t play and in a situation that suits those skills, he won’t score many, if any (like Srbeny). Why this is a surprise, and why the abuse, especially when he’s always put the effort in on the odd occasion he has been called on, I don’t understand. 

(And before anyone replies to say “thanks Mrs Hugill”, I’m calling it myself).

I absolutely agree with this. Play him in a system where the ball is chucked into the box at every opportunity and he will cause plenty of problems for defenders and score his fair share.

Play him in a system like we tend to use and he just looks like a fish out of water. Really odd decision by our scouting team to think he could ever do a job for us

• Like 3

I think he's been a decent bit part player and also played a needed role within the squad as class joker.

We paid a lot for him but he scored a few goals when Pukki was out that kept the momentum going and earnt us some vital points in the last championship campaign.

Not sure why he gets such a hard time on here and I certainly hope he goes to a decent club where I'm sure he will score some goals and could become a fan favourite.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I think he's been a decent bit part player and also played a needed role within the squad as class joker.

We paid a lot for him but he scored a few goals when Pukki was out that kept the momentum going and earnt us some vital points in the last championship campaign.

Not sure why he gets such a hard time on here and I certainly hope he goes to a decent club where I'm sure he will score some goals and could become a fan favourite.

I’m not sure that’s likely, he’s had 16 clubs says something about his character, maybe dicking around is good for moral for some but it looks like he’s never fully concentrated at settling into a club and focusing on his career at a club, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a player have so many clubs! I don’t think he gets a hard time, people just point out his failures!

Has done the job he was brought in for, always puts in a shift, is not a disruptor, doesn't turn up late for training and doesn't chuck his toys out the pram when not selected.

I don't understand what people were expecting from him really.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I always felt for him, and wanted to see him get more of a chance. He was clearly desperate to play for us but was just never going to play ahead of Pukki when we only played one striker, or now Sargent either. 

I remember in a game not long ago him being away on the break and the ref blowing up for full time (we'd won the match) and he booted the ball away in momentary frustration at being denied the chance of scoring. I liked that attitude.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I absolutely agree with this. Play him in a system where the ball is chucked into the box at every opportunity and he will cause plenty of problems for defenders and score his fair share.

Play him in a system like we tend to use and he just looks like a fish out of water. Really odd decision by our scouting team to think he could ever do a job for us

I think it was fairly clear he was supposed to be the mythical plan B- was never going to be starting week in week out but was there to throw on if we needed to go more direct when chasing a goal. 

Hugill in reserve coming into the side when the senior strikers are injured or unavailable - I'm not worried about that !

What I'm really worried about is that 3 legged donkey defender who has the record personal errors at this club - Ben Gibson !

6 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Hugill in reserve coming into the side when the senior strikers are injured or unavailable - I'm not worried about that !

What I'm really worried about is that 3 legged donkey defender who has the record personal errors at this club - Ben Gibson !

I  am confused. Hanley was the donkey last week and Gibson had to  partner Omo.

Next you will be telling me  Kenny shouldn't play. Nah that would be ridiculous.

22 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

It id not taker Herr Wagner long to work out what a useles donkey Hugill is. Apparently we only need ....... two forwards on the pitch and one on the bench. Fine, until one of those three is injured. I will be surprised if the club finds someone to take him on loan in the next fortnight, and he will have a rude awakening contract wise come the summer.

Completely unnecessary level of vitriol, and I doubt he'll have any issues at all finding contract offers in the summer. They won't be as lucrative, but I bet Preston would have him back for a start, two of their strikers are on loan so they'll be in the market. QPR probably would as well, and two of their strikers are borrowed from other clubs also.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

Maybe not as unwanted as you may think he is pockthorpe. (See link)

He’s undeserving of the abuse and in all honesty I’m not sure we have a lot to judge him on. The guy has barely been given a chance. It’s hard to score, or even find any kind of rhythm if you’re not on the pitch.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/this-would-be-a-very-good-signing-rotherham-united-plot-move-for-in-demand-norwich-city-player-the-verdict/

• Like 1

He's suffered from Srbeny Syndrome. This is the side-effect of when you play with one up top and that one's consistently notching up goals whilst also being highly available to play, whilst also having the team built around the strengths of that same striker. Pukki's been scoring regularly since the get-go and rarely had any kind of injury or suspension that's put him out for prolonged periods.

Hugill, Srbeny, and to a slightly lesser extent Idah and Sargent have all essentially been victims of Pukki hitting the ground running and not relenting since. Strikers often need a few games to get their eye in and their confidence right up as those split-second instincts are rendered more fluid. Not to mention, the whole team was essentially built to Pukki's strengths too. 

Hugill's a polar opposite. He doesn't play so well in the channels, but float something in from out wide and his eyes light up. That's rarely been our modus operandi though as Pukki's not much use in the air. Sargent's got more pace and a better workrate than Hugill (who's not lazy by any means, Sargent's just exceptional at hard graft) and then there's Idah too.

As a model pro who grafts, I can't fault him. He's played his bit part well, and I wish him well if he goes.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He's suffered from Srbeny Syndrome. This is the side-effect of when you play with one up top and that one's consistently notching up goals whilst also being highly available to play, whilst also having the team built around the strengths of that same striker. Pukki's been scoring regularly since the get-go and rarely had any kind of injury or suspension that's put him out for prolonged periods.

Hugill, Srbeny, and to a slightly lesser extent Idah and Sargent have all essentially been victims of Pukki hitting the ground running and not relenting since. Strikers often need a few games to get their eye in and their confidence right up as those split-second instincts are rendered more fluid. Not to mention, the whole team was essentially built to Pukki's strengths too. 

Hugill's a polar opposite. He doesn't play so well in the channels, but float something in from out wide and his eyes light up. That's rarely been our modus operandi though as Pukki's not much use in the air. Sargent's got more pace and a better workrate than Hugill (who's not lazy by any means, Sargent's just exceptional at hard graft) and then there's Idah too.

As a model pro who grafts, I can't fault him. He's played his bit part well, and I wish him well if he goes.

40 odd games 5 goals hardly likely to be missed 

10 minutes ago, daly said:

How many were starts and how many were cameos off the bench? Idah's made a fair number of appearances regarding different games but in terms of actual game time he hasn't really had a lot.

13 minutes ago, daly said:

His all round incompetence is the reason for his lack of starts. He ambles around just outside the penalty box. like some schoolboy goal hanger, almost oblivious to what is happening elsewhere. Against Blackburn his one noticable appearance in the City half was to violently two handedly shove an opposition player before intentionall yscything down another moments later. Earning both an unwarranted yellow card and a unecessary free kick in a dangerous place.

To warble that he has been a mof]del professional is to ignore his almost total uselessness at this level. Nevermind whether he jokes, rides a unicycle of performs conjuring tricks in the dressing room that is not why he is being paid. The fact that he was sent out on loan ,and when here not played by three managers tells you all you need to know. And other clubs fans see the same, as a google check will tell you. Universally slated for not being up to it. Cantwell has behaving badly to put it mildly. Hugill has not. But that does not mean Higill is a better player. I doubt very much he will be heading for another Championship club after us. Anglian Combination at best.

If he was of any use he would be kept as a back up, as we will need all hands to the pump in the final games. More so given the injuries to Ramsay, the Pole, Rowe, the loss of Cantwell, Tzolis, Rashica attack wise. Wagner has seen enough and wants rid.

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I really don’t think the difference is that wide. Rhodes popped up with important goals during a promotion campaign, as did Hugill. 

Check out their individual stats over the last ten seasons. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Check out their individual stats over the last ten seasons. 

I think that’s irrelevant. Unless Rhodes past goal scoring exploits for other clubs helped endear him to Norwich fans?

The point is, Hugill did as much for our 21 promotion campaign, as Rhodes did in 19. But Rhodes is remembered more favourably, which I find a little bizarre.  

5 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I think that’s irrelevant. Unless Rhodes past goal scoring exploits for other clubs helped endear him to Norwich fans?

The point is, Hugill did as much for our 21 promotion campaign, as Rhodes did in 19. But Rhodes is remembered more favourably, which I find a little bizarre.  

One was a loan and by far a better forward, the other cost £5m. Hugill is a smashing man but just not a very good player. 

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

His all round incompetence is the reason for his lack of starts. He ambles around just outside the penalty box. like some schoolboy goal hanger, almost oblivious to what is happening elsewhere. Against Blackburn his one noticable appearance in the City half was to violently two handedly shove an opposition player before intentionall yscything down another moments later. Earning both an unwarranted yellow card and a unecessary free kick in a dangerous place.

To warble that he has been a mof]del professional is to ignore his almost total uselessness at this level. Nevermind whether he jokes, rides a unicycle of performs conjuring tricks in the dressing room that is not why he is being paid. The fact that he was sent out on loan ,and when here not played by three managers tells you all you need to know. And other clubs fans see the same, as a google check will tell you. Universally slated for not being up to it. Cantwell has behaving badly to put it mildly. Hugill has not. But that does not mean Higill is a better player. I doubt very much he will be heading for another Championship club after us. Anglian Combination at best.

If he was of any use he would be kept as a back up, as we will need all hands to the pump in the final games. More so given the injuries to Ramsay, the Pole, Rowe, the loss of Cantwell, Tzolis, Rashica attack wise. Wagner has seen enough and wants rid.

If you were to put a bet on that you'd lose hands down.