Tommo

Wagner or Wilder

We appear to be looking for a manager initially till the end of the season. It’s there opportunity to audition for a longer term contract or if not we go after someone out there who perhaps is waiting to see which league we will be in next season and whether they fancy the challenge or not. Hassenhuttl for example I imagine will want to wait till the summer and indeed those already on managerial jobs such as Mark Robins.

I can’t see Dyche fitting our style of play and ability to unite the fans. Similarly Gerrard and I don’t see him wanting to relocate so far away from the north west. 

So for me it boils down to 2 candidates who are unemployed and who I believe will take the job on the end of season initial terms - Wagner and Wilder. 

which one would you take out of the 2 ? Mine would be Wilder. 

Of the two Wagner for me.

Plays the style of football we want, has worked in this setup with DoF before, knows Webber, has improved players and has been promoted from this league with an average squad.

Ok he failed to meet the bar in the last two roles (what out of work managers haven’t?) but sometimes all the things at the club need to be aligned for a manager to be a success and we have all the recipe ingredients he last had great success with.

• Like 1

We are still talking about risk. Any coach who has continuing success is in a good job. We are now looking at managers who are out of work because of failure.

If we are seriously looking for an interim I would go for Martin O'Neill, who could then stay on as mentor to a new, young and up and coming coach. Then Webber can move on, leaving Adams as SD with O'Neill as a sort of Technical Director.

Whatever happens, I hope we can see the influence of Attanasio in it somewhere.

15 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Who ever it is, he'll have little or no money to address the mistakes of those that run the club.

Agreed and it’s for this reason that I imagine mid season with little / nothing to spend in Jan that some of those in roles already will not want to be parachuted into trying to turn our season around so will wait till the summer.

so finding someone who wants the job now till the end of the season who will just work with what we have got player personnel wise is going to be someone who is out of work at the minute. Just my view on it all right now. 

35 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

If we are seriously looking for an interim I would go for Martin O'Neill, who could then stay on as mentor to a new, young and up and coming coach. Then Webber can move on, leaving Adams as SD with O'Neill as a sort of Technical Director.

Whatever happens, I hope we can see the influence of Attanasio in it somewhere.

Have the club suggested we are looking for an interim coach?  Or is that because we think Attansio will bring in a new DoF who is likely to want their own coach?

I am just worried if that is the case, the names quickly slip down to Bruce etc if we are just looking for someone till the end of the season.

• Like 1

Wilder is ok, but not a good fit for a club like ours, in the same way Smith was never going to be a good fit - the club is unique in many ways and bog standard English managers don't seem to get it.

Experienced English managers bring with them baggage from other English clubs who bear no relation to our unique club - we are just different from big city clubs the likes of Smith and Wilder are used to. We are different, aren't we?

We need managers who are on the up and who aren't sullied and dulled by years in the English leagues - we need the likes of Lambert, Neil, Farke who are our most successful promotion managers since Worthington.

Going further back, as an Englishman, John Bond was brilliant for us, because he was larger than life and was at a provincial town club previously, not a big city - then Brown and Walker were here for years before they became our manager, so well atuned to the club.

I know I've mentioned englishman Dyche as potential, but I think he has something a bit special other english managers don't have - he's intelligent and a big personality.  No offence to Wilder, but he's not the brightest of people and better to stay up north at a club that he can relate to.

So, out of the two, Wagner is the obvious choice, German, very strong personality from a cultured German background, will love the club in a similar way to Farke - and with success at this level and above.

• Like 2

I would happily welcome Wagner - he looks the best candidate to me, assuming that we can't get Knutson which was pretty much rule out by Rob Butler last night.

1 hour ago, Tommo said:

We appear to be looking for a manager initially till the end of the season

Do we ? What makes you say that ?

I'd want Dyche personally, but I and others have said he might not reunite the fanbase too well, and more than anything that is what we need.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Just now, Badger said:

I would happily welcome Wagner - he looks the best candidate to me, assuming that we can't get Knutson which was pretty much rule out by Rob Butler last night.

I agree, the thought of likes of Wilder or god help us Bruce gives me the shivers…can’t even believe people are seriously considering Martin O’Neil (I have nothing but respect for him but would be ludicrous to appoint a man in his 70s who hasn’t managed for years).

If Wagner is definitely interested I think we should stop messing around and get him in asap so we have time to salvage the season with a good chance in the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The idea we would even remotely consider Wilder after he repeatedly insulted our club and players in the past due to our bus being a couple minutes late is silly

I dislike him and wouldn't feel a bond. He would always jump ship in an instance if he was successful here. 

Rather McKenna. Rather mic McCarthy. Rather even Lambert. (Okay... Probably am going a bit far on the last two)

I'd love Wilder. His teams play good football and he's a Grant Holt type... you love him if he's yours but everyone else thinks he's a total s***house.

Wagner seems like a lazy choice.

The list of names in that top 10 odds list is uninspiring.

It's Webber's job to find the next gem to find the next Farke.

I still strongly want Bellamy.

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

Anyone whose surname doesn't start with 'W' or end 'er' or is Smith.

Why 'or is Smith?'  Doesn't his name start with 'W' and end with 'er'?

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I'd love Wilder. His teams play good football and he's a Grant Holt type... you love him if he's yours but everyone else thinks he's a total s***house.

He won 2 in 11 at Boro. 

2 in 11. 

With a squad most pundits predicted to win the league. 

Wilder fits in the same category as Bruce for me - an absolute no go. 

2 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

I dislike him and wouldn't feel a bond. He would always jump ship in an instance if he was successful here. 

Boo bloody hoo.

The sooner fans realise the manager isn't here to give you the warm fuzzies, the better we'll all be.

For me it would be Wagner, the debate we are all having is really interesting, and genuinely I am impressed with other peoples knowledge of coaches in other countries.  Assuming Stuart is equally or even more knowledgeable, it shows how much choice and how many suitable candidates there is.  So far Stuart has said experienced, clear style which suits or aligns well with the current squad, and not currently in post.  There are probably five or six good options out there, and surely Wilder, Bruce and Dyche will not be that individual.

Wagner may make more strategic long term sense but Wilder's Sheff Utd did play good football, were difficult to beat and did do well in the Premier League.

We have to accept neither of them may want the job.

43 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Boo bloody hoo.

The sooner fans realise the manager isn't here to give you the warm fuzzies, the better we'll all be.

Guess we will see. The bond done DF no harm, and DS I'm sure wishes he gave a bit more of these so called fuzzies. 

We will see won't we lad, time will tell.