Sign in to follow this  
By Hook or Ian crook

Luton Away

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't bealive the club would unironicly post this and ignore how depressed and sad the players look 🙃

That's actually pretty funny. Smith the only one smiling.

I think this lineup proves categorically that Deano has no idea what he’s doing, what team is best, what his players strengths are or that he’s learned anything at all since he arrived 

He’s literally stabbing in the dark and hoping for the best and making a fortune. Couldn’t find his **** with both hands.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Tells you all you need to know about the manager when you’re half way into the season and he still doesn’t know his best side. 

Yes, it suggests having a different plan to counter other sides. Surely that’s being adaptable and not being adaptable is a stick that’s often used to beat managers with (eg DF).  It’s one where he’s damned whatever he does.

Edited by Branston Pickle

The NCFC app has Sargent at LWB and Dimi at CM. I assume this is wrong and Sargent will be up top alongside Pukki? 

Also, why us Nunez on the bench again? He's our best midfielder.

Pretty happy with the lineup- I think it puts a lot of emphasis on Aarons and Dimi to get forward. Personally I'd start Nunez over McLean but i have to accept managers seem to see something in Kenny that I don't.

Glad to see we don't automatically start Hayden over Gibbs due to name value too.

2 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

The NCFC app has Sargent at LWB and Dimi at CM. I assume this is wrong and Sargent will be up top alongside Pukki? 

Interesting that Google also has it as that but I assume they get it from that. Cant be right

Just now, Mackrel829 said:

Nunez is probably still not 100% fit. I'm sure he'll come on at some point

I see Sinani, who started the last 2, is out of the squad completely 

2 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

Nunez is probably still not 100% fit. I'm sure he'll come on at some point

I see Sinani, who started the last 2, is out of the squad completely 

To be fair Sinani being out of the squad will probably make about the same impact as him being in it

Just now, daly said:

To be replaced by????

Well it’s not my job to pick but I could list at least 5 who I think would do a better job. Some more realistic than others. 

Mauricio Pochettino - most unrealistic but is a free agent 

Marcelo Bielsa - As above 

Steven Gerrard 

Scott Parker

Lucien Favre 

Pochettino and Bielsa have both taken jobs of similar size to Norwich at the time with Southampton and Leeds at the time.  

• Like 1

At least he has reacted. Got to give this lineup a chance. The others didn't work and is Nunez really that much better than Gibbs? Gibbs at least tends to pass it to a teammate. People seem to forget that Nunez hasn't pulled up any trees yet.

And I believe it signals Last Chance Saloon. And that is why he is taking no chances. But on the other hand we might just get to see a Pukki/Sargent double act for once.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Well it’s not my job to pick but I could list at least 5 who I think would do a better job. Some more realistic than others. 

Mauricio Pochettino - most unrealistic but is a free agent 

Marcelo Bielsa - As above 

Steven Gerrard 

Scott Parker

Lucien Favre 

Pochettino and Bielsa have both taken jobs of similar size to Norwich at the time with Southampton and Leeds at the time.  

Pochetino? Really?

• Like 1

Cannot believe we are sending out such a defensive line up against pretty moderate opponents. No creativity, no pace, and no width. Hopefully we might scrape a 1-0 win. If we go down methinks this thread will be a bit hot around 9.40 !!!

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes, it suggests having a different plan to counter other sides. Surely that’s being adaptable and not being adaptable is a stick that’s often used to beat managers with (eg DF).  It’s one where he’s damned whatever he does.

I think there’s logic to that in the Prem where effectively it’s two leagues within a league where against the top half you really need to be more pragmatic and hope to gain bonus points. The other side is there you have to pick your points up to survive. 

At this level though as Farke proved if you have the best side in the league and put them out week after week you’ll win the league. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Pochetino? Really?

I did say it was unrealistic. He has however been out of work a long time. He’s also taken on a club out size before with Southampton. Realistically though no he’s never coming, but you don’t ask and you don’t get right? 

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

At this level though as Farke proved if you have the best side in the league and put them out week after week you’ll win the league. 

Quite so, but we’ve shown we’re not the best team - at least not how we’re playing at the moment.

Imo we struggled to get through Luton in the first game because of their formation, it makes sense to make changes if you think it makes you stronger.

4 minutes ago, vos said:

Cannot believe we are sending out such a defensive line up against pretty moderate opponents. No creativity, no pace, and no width. Hopefully we might scrape a 1-0 win. If we go down methinks this thread will be a bit hot around 9.40 !!!

To be fair...provided aarons and dimi can get forward, it offers more width than sargent and sinani on either flank

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

To be fair...provided aarons and dimi can get forward, it offers more width than sargent and sinani on either flank

Let's just pray they have been practicing crosses..

I don't understand that some see it as defensive. Aarons and Dimi are two attack minded players but also likely to be far enough up the pitch to regain the ball rather than having to defend all the time. Both full backs have been so narrow in defence because of our frailty at CB. Now there is no need for that covering.

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Yes. I like the idea of Max and Dimi getting forward and believe this is what they do well. It also gives more outlet for Sarge and Pukki. 

Pleased too for Gibbs and Omibamidele - would love to see these two in the first 11 for the rest of the season. Andrew especially just looks more of a threat at corners than Hanley or Gibson (but it's a low bar - literally since the headers of the  latter two often go over it).

Come on City. Give us a performance at least. A festive one not a pantomime.

Edited by sonyc

Wanted us to play 3 at the back for ages. If it works we will need another CB in Jan.

Giannoulis and Aarons are suited to Wingback roles in my opinion. Sargent can play up top but drift if needs be.

Also happy to see Smith willing to drop Hayden. Thought it would be a brave call but the right one.

None of the above counts if we don't perform though.

18 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

That's actually pretty funny. Smith the only one smiling.

He is asking Mick how to do the "fcuk off" salute to the crowd

Most teams in this league play wingsbacks, and 5-3-2, 3-5-2, maybe matching up is the way to go. Can be seen a negative but it doesn’t have to be. 
if we win our individual duels, we’ll have width, an out ball at all times, midfielders in the half spaces and two strikers to pin their defenders…. 

But…

Dean Smith has no credit in the bank with me though, so, nah, he’s looking to be solid first. 
You can play a back 3 by tucking your opposite LB/RB in when the other advances. This is what teams with back 4s are doing. 
But this is where we’re at. Deano is being extra cautious, because it’s do or die time.