Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Bovril Yes or No?

As a veggie, no. 

🤔 There are vegetarian alternatives for almost all meaty products now, but is there one for Bovril? Marmite? Never tried it, and no desire to TBH.

I had a jar of it once, but every once in a while when I wanted one the lid had sealed shut. Then once open measuring the gloop was difficult and I never got it as good as at a football match.

13 hours ago, Leedscanary said:

Yes. 

with everything according to @TIL 1010 😜

Take no notice of the gravy swilling Northerner who indulges in the dirty Northern habit of putting gravy on chips.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yes if it was offered. No if it was me thinking of getting a late night drink; hot chocolate is my go to late night drink.

Not there yet, my late night drink is a Gin and Tonic 🤣

On 12/11/2022 at 16:05, Canary Jedi said:

Is that the marmite tasting drink? If so, ban it!

It's a beef drink.

Love marmite. Thought that would translate to Bovril. I was wrong. 

I prefer sneaking in a hip flask of  single malt warmed up by my body heat. 

pre Covid at the rugby I could have it on show, was even being passed a hip flask to swig from back in mid noughties at the twickenham stoop. Unhygienic but gloriously so 

Billy Connolly put me off drinking Bovril at the footy! 🙂

"Take off one of yee shoes!"

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 1

They haven't used beef in it for years. Its now the equivalent of Vegemite fro the Antipodes.

And yes.

As my Dad was a Communist, he was blackballed and unable to get any work or benefits, we relied on my Mum's wage. So as I was getting school dinners and some protein and carbs, many a time my evening meal was Bovril or Oxo and water bulked out with bread. And nothing else until porridge for breakfast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

As my Dad was a Communist, he was blackballed and unable to get any work or benefits, we relied on my Mum's wage.

Wow. What decade was that then?   Must admit, I'm totally ignorant that this even happened but really interested to learn more.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Wow. What decade was that then?   Must admit, I'm totally ignorant that this even happened but really interested to learn more.

Late 50s early 60s. Many of the founders and organisers of the original Communist Party of Great Britain found they way, naturally, into the Trade Union movement.

The Engineering Union was in particular close to the Communist Party and had organisers and reps who werefull members.

It would be difficult to go into depth as it would take a long time but my Dad, disillusioned after WWII and the promised land fit for heroes, joined the Party. He became the Shop Steward at the company he worked for and that led to him being dismissed. He was blackballed from Engineering and his name on a list that went to every, and I mean every, local employer.

He applied for unemployment but was refused because he was deemed to have sacked himself. We were absolutely destitute and only had Mum's wage which didn't go far, no equal pay then. I was always hungry and cold. Porridge and bread were my main sustenance.

I think what I will do is compose a article about that period and post it on the non football.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 16:56, Robornio said:

I like it on my toast. Not tried it? Don’t knock it! 

Cold toast , thick butter and Bovvers!!!

Delicuous with a decent cup of coffee. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Late 50s early 60s. Many of the founders and organisers of the original Communist Party of Great Britain found they way, naturally, into the Trade Union movement.

The Engineering Union was in particular close to the Communist Party and had organisers and reps who werefull members.

It would be difficult to go into depth as it would take a long time but my Dad, disillusioned after WWII and the promised land fit for heroes, joined the Party. He became the Shop Steward at the company he worked for and that led to him being dismissed. He was blackballed from Engineering and his name on a list that went to every, and I mean every, local employer.

He applied for unemployment but was refused because he was deemed to have sacked himself. We were absolutely destitute and only had Mum's wage which didn't go far, no equal pay then. I was always hungry and cold. Porridge and bread were my main sustenance.

I think what I will do is compose a article about that period and post it on the non football.

That would be very interesting Grandadio, ' We British' are not as squeaky clean as many like to think . 

On 12/11/2022 at 11:24, Nuff Said said:

As a veggie, no. 

🤔 There are vegetarian alternatives for almost all meaty products now, but is there one for Bovril? Marmite? Never tried it, and no desire to TBH.

Don't know what you're missing Nuffo!! A small amount of Marmite( other yeast extracts are available, incl low salt) added to soups stews or sauces ...half a teaspoon or so, adds real depth of flavour and savoury. Good on toast too, on it's own or a little mixed into peanut butter ( Marmite , not Bovril).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Don't know what you're missing Nuffo!! A small amount of Marmite( other yeast extracts are available, incl low salt) added to soups stews or sauces ...half a teaspoon or so, adds real depth of flavour and savoury. Good on toast too, on it's own or a little mixed into peanut butter ( Marmite , not Bovril).

I’m with you on yeast extract for flavouring 👍, it’s the hot savoury drink thing that I’ve never tried. 

But Marmite in peanut butter? That’s so wrong it might just be right… I’m going to have to try it.

Speaking of peanut butter, I’m a convert to homemade, just blend some roasted peanuts up with a little oil and a pinch of salt. Takes a bit of experimenting to get the right consistency but worth it. Try it with some chilli flakes too.