Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

1 Win In 7 and 6 Points Out Of 21.

25 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Luton a team we struggled to create any chances against are getting whopped 3-0 by Watford.

Just show how poor a team city are and smith think we are in with a chance of top 2 position🤣

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It takes no pressure on as we f**ked it up and threw away a two goal lead. Lose at Burnley and they need to act. The performances and now results are not good enough. 

I'm afraid it does Jimbo. It's always acceptable to end a run of defeats with an away draw. Especially somewhere like Sheffield Utd.

But as I said a win wasn't enough to save Farke. And as that is the only managerial change this board has made those claiming that we always leave it til the last minute don't make any sense at all.

33 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'm afraid , despite my wanting us to start playing better which in turn really should secure a top 2 finish, I've concluded that I'm hopig for something that isnt going to happen.

This is us..playing to our capabilities. It'll be good enough to beat some teams, not others.

We're seemingly no better than a pack of 8-10 also inconsistent teams.

Just hope we have enough to get a top 6 finish and see what happens in the playoffs

2nd and 3rd paragraphs spot on.

Dean Smith won't be at the club by the time we go to Swansea on the 10th December (post world cup break). It's later than I would have liked but soon enough to keep the season on track. Sacking him now in the middle of a hectic schedule would do us no favours, especially when there's no one capable of stepping up to coach the side while we look for a replacement. This was Webber's thinking with the Farke sacking where he had decided before the Brentford game, the last one before international break,  but waited until after where there was enough time between matches.

We’re now out of the play off places and defeat to Burnley on Tues would leave us 7 points behind them, in a terrible run of form and facing Alex Neil and and in-form QPR as the next two. It’s perfectly conceivable we’ll not even be in the top half after these matches.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t agree it’s us playing to our capabilities if managed properly and with the players properly motivated. 

Ok...i'll rephrase, playing to our capabilities under this manager

We're deep enough into the season now to see that this is the norm

I'd say we've only really played well in a third of our games

2 hours ago, baldy09 said:

Never mind Smith believes were be up there at the end of season. what more can we ask 🤪

And if we are, then good. None of this bull5hite moaning will have mattered.

18 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I genuinely believe that how we played first half yesterday, or in the final 20 minutes of the first half v Blackpool, is what this squad can do regularly in this league for whole matches.

But they're currently shackled by a manager who doesn't know how to get the best out of the players and a Sporting Director who has checked out.

30 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I genuinely believe that how we played first half yesterday, or in the final 20 minutes of the first half v Blackpool, is what this squad can do regularly in this league for whole matches.

But they're currently shackled by a manager who doesn't know how to get the best out of the players and a Sporting Director who has checked out.

I'd still say that 'if' we can get this team out on the pitch regularly...

Krul/Gunn

Aarons Hanley Gibson/Omo Dimi

Hayden

Nunez       Sara

Cantwell

Sargent Pukki

We will start to win games again

We were actually only one player away from that yesterday.. .Sara > Ramsey , however crucially it would require the manager to switch to a diamond and allow Sargent to play centrally

It looked promising vs Preston and subsequently abandoned in the following 3 games.

If we dont have wingers at the club , lets not try to play with them...and get our top scorer into the box where he can affect a game

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Nail. Head. Hit. 

You're all being incredibly hard on Smith - who will surely go down as one of the most charismatic and effective managers in this club's fine history

• Haha 1

Its looking as though Fulham, quite possibly Bournemouth and even Forest are giving themselves a chance of all staying up this season

If they are (or even 2 of them), there are going to be some fairly big established premier league teams coming down , with bigger wealth than us +parachute payments.

If we dont take advsntage of this weak league this season it might not be quite next

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

A third? A third of a third, possibly. And even that seems an overstatement.

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Its looking as though Fulham, quite possibly Bournemouth and even Forest are giving themselves a chance of all staying up this season

If they are (or even 2 of them), there are going to be some fairly big established premier league teams coming down , with bigger wealth than us +parachute payments.

If we dont take advsntage of this weak league this season it might not be quite next

This is an absolutely fantastic point and really does highlight why we can't afford (in every sense) to mess around this year and why we really need to be in that top 2 or at least pushing it ALL season. 

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

This is an absolutely fantastic point and really does highlight why we can't afford (in every sense) to mess around this year and why we really need to be in that top 2 or at least pushing it ALL season. 

Also we are in the self funding model which is fine and dandy when you can sell a player someone wants (Buendia) but terrible when no one wants to buy (Aarons, Cantwell etc)

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm afraid it does Jimbo. It's always acceptable to end a run of defeats with an away draw. Especially somewhere like Sheffield Utd.

But as I said a win wasn't enough to save Farke. And as that is the only managerial change this board has made those claiming that we always leave it til the last minute don't make any sense at all.

You will not shake some very deeply held urban myths that frequent the Pinkun, Nuttyo. The latest are:

Webber doesn't want to be here. 

Smith doesn't care .

Pukki's done.

And the eternal  Kenny McClean is useless.

These have all been outdone by " Delia is skimming " 

🤷😇

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Odd that you want to disregard recent form so please indulge yourself in yet again quoting another poster in having at pop at others. Whoever would have thought it looking at your posting history.

I was having a pop at sport and the world in general, silly paranoid  man.If I've got something to say, I'll say it, not hint and insinuate.

• Sad 1

I think the OP makes a fair point. When we went on our nine match unbeaten run whilst not being particularly convincing anybody that pointed out the "not particularly convincing" part were quoted the "nine matches unbeaten" part. Now we are are not particularly convincing and not picking up many points, how long has the winless run got to last for before it can be officially used to air concerns over how poorly we are doing?. I have said many times before, I love Norwich City but what ever way you want to slice it Dean Smith is not getting the best out of the squad. We have looked bang average all season and for me that is the thing that needs to change and it needs to change very quickly...............

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Krul/Gunn

Aarons Hanley Gibson/Omo Dimi

Hayden

Nunez       Sara

Cantwell

Sargent Pukki

Looks good to me. A good DM – and I'm desperately hoping that Hayden is it – would allow Max and Dimi to get much further forward. I thought the diamond looked okay against Preston but the lack of width was its clear downside. But having a dedicated DM who can drop into the back four when the full back goes forward could unlock the whole team. Really like the idea of Todd in the 10, as well. And obviously Sargent needs to play centrally with Teemu.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

A third? A third of a third, possibly. And even that seems an overstatement.

I'm not sure we've played well for a full 90 minutes all season. That's my main concern - a total inability to control games. The lack of confidence in possession that lots of people have noted seems a big part of that. We've gone from a coach absolutely obsessed with possession to one who doesn't look as though he can coach it. 

Didn't see yesterday's game but am still reeling from how little we controlled the Preston game after we went ahead so early. Should have passed them to death and dared them to come out at us. Instead the game turned into an end-to-end shambles and we let them back into the game.

8 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'm not sure we've played well for a full 90 minutes all season. That's my main concern - a total inability to control games. The lack of confidence in possession that lots of people have noted seems a big part of that. We've gone from a coach absolutely obsessed with possession to one who doesn't look as though he can coach it. 

Didn't see yesterday's game but am still reeling from how little we controlled the Preston game after we went ahead so early. Should have passed them to death and dared them to come out at us. Instead the game turned into an end-to-end shambles and we let them back into the game.

Much the same. When you wrote 'the game turned into an end-to-end shambles', I seriously had to re-read your post to check whether you were talking about the Preston game or the Sheffield game.

I thought one of the reasons for hiring Smith, although he was rather beige, was that he was a safe pair of hands who was pragmatic and had lots of professional experience to see out games where our team has a lead. For such an experienced manager, his game management is truly awful. 

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

Much the same. When you wrote 'the game turned into an end-to-end shambles', I seriously had to re-read your post to check whether you were talking about the Preston game or the Sheffield game.

I thought one of the reasons for hiring Smith, although he was rather beige, was that he was a safe pair of hands who was pragmatic and had lots of professional experience to see out games where our team has a lead. For such an experienced manager, his game management is truly awful. 

I was hoping that the flip-side of that would be that he was more capable of getting results in games we don't dominate, which is the skillset we need to survive in the PL. But I'm really beginning to doubt.

5 hours ago, sonyc said:

Reading today that we will attempt to poach Russell Martin if Smith is dismissed. I'm unsure about any Sun link but interesting that: (a) a potential dismissal is being discussed and reported (b) that we might believe a manager more in the style of Farke is a possible answer (possession and attacking style...check out Russell's record as manager and his defensive stats are not good but at around 38% win percentage he is decent, if not outstanding).

My opinion at this moment is that there look to be 7 or 8 better teams (all round performances) than us. It's a really competitive league, where a bottom team can beat higher placed teams and it isn't so unusual.

I feel if we re sitting in 8th place in the next couple of weeks we WILL this time act. The reason for that is because not being at least in the mix for promotion will be completely unacceptable to the board. Whatever decision was made before. I think times of holding on to a manager are gone. Expectations are higher. Certainly of us as fans. And maybe that's good.

Would he leave Swansea for Norwich?

18 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Would he leave Swansea for Norwich?

I believe he would because of his time with us and relationship. Yet, then he may factor in his project with Swansea underway, one that is building for him and starting to show results. A bit perhaps like Farke over his first two years. The timing could be off?

I'm unsure whether I want another Norwich 'legend' to manage us. Apart from Stringer and for a short while, O'Neil, I'm not sure it has ever worked out particularly well (Gunn, Deehan,  Grant, Phelan, Adams,  Megson... Butterworth).

If it was me I would be staying with my present club because I'm the loyal sort - the grass isn't always greener. But for football managers, you're often in a short term job, get a poor run and the world is against you. Like with Dean Smith at the moment.

I would love a fresh start in the grand scheme of things. I wanted Farke to stay and have more years just to see what he could do. 4 years though was a long time in the footballing world. And he couldn't crack the EPL (for me it was the recruitment that was the biggest problem then, not Daniel and I actually think it's the recruitment decisions again this time that make up about 60% of what we are seeing now. I'm not convinced by the group of players, their on-field decisions when in good positions. As a manager it's not all his fault. Though he shares quite a lot of responsibility). That fresh start would be someone like Knutsen. Another European coach. Or someone from the lower leagues who is desperate to progress.

I could go on but will draw this to a close. Martin is a decent shout but I think there are better choices. That said, I would support anyone who came because that's the job of a fan (it's only been Roeder who I really disliked as a boss. Hughton used to drive me a bit mad too).

I just sense Smith is truly on borrowed time. I've little time for Webber actually (he feels a bit like a politician - in it for himself) though will grudgingly accept he has some credit overall. I would love to see a refreshed board, another 2/3 year plan communicated and someone brought in to deliver it. 

I'm nervous about Burnley but will be there with my son Tuesday evening - yet it will be in hope this time rather than expectation. That says quite a bit I think.

• Like 1

Just now, sonyc said:

I believe he would because of his time with us and relationship. Yet, then he may factor in his project with Swansea underway, one that is building for him and starting to show results. A bit perhaps like Farke over his first two years. The timing could be off?

The thing about Swansea is that they haven't backed their managers in the transfer market ever since they got relegated, it's the reason Potter and Cooper both were more than happy to leave too.