Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Forest going down?

I think a sacking is on the horizon. I also think this would be a shame, but it’s the nature of the beast. A shame for the manager, not the strategy which is horrible 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 1

The gap between the two divisions is like jumping from the National League to the Championship. Some clubs bridge that gap with being defensively sound, utilizing clever recruitment by filling their team with pace, quality set piece takers and a few players with an areal threat and a hell of a lot of luck but it's getting harder every year. You can't just throw money at it and sign better players and expect it to work out anymore. The teams who go up and survive tend to either have a unique tactical system or a set of players that can score goals without having to work hard to create chances in play.

It's much better to build a solid defense in the championship and have in your team a few players with pace who can dribble around players that are not easily dispossessed, a quality set piece taker and  a few players who have height and an aerial threat so you can score from set pieces and low risk chances like crosses. 

From what I can see of Forest they have signed higher quality players but they don't have those weapons that teams can't defend against and they aren't strong enough at the back. It's better to have a lower quality overall team with a well organised defence and one Saint-Maximim and one Mitrovic in the team than it is to have a better overall team with no players who when on their game are unplayable and can create goals and chances from nothing. I think forest have a decent team but there's no one in there who their opposition simply can't defend against on their day, it's  similar to us that's why they'll be relegated. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

While the top teams can stockpile all the top players and keep them satisfied by being one of nine substitutes the gap will continue to widen.

The top clubs have already been allowed to have numerous youngsters on their books and then loan them out to lesser clubs to develop.

The rich get richer and sod the rest. American standards on their way, if they are not here already.

Money first mentality is ruining the game, clever little changes (like the increase in the number of subs this season) will only cement the richest clubs at the top forever.

How long before no relegation for (some) teams is announced?

• Like 1

Hmm….who’d have thought bringing in 20-odd players might not work out.  It might, given time, but it does rather feel a bit too much of a scattergun approach.  Some of the media were falling over themselves about how Forest would be fine a couple of weeks ago, I wonder if they’ll be so upbeat now.

16 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

While the top teams can stockpile all the top players and keep them satisfied by being one of nine substitutes the gap will continue to widen.

The top clubs have already been allowed to have numerous youngsters on their books and then loan them out to lesser clubs to develop.

The rich get richer and sod the rest. American standards on their way, if they are not here already.

Money first mentality is ruining the game, clever little changes (like the increase in the number of subs this season) will only cement the richest clubs at the top forever.

How long before no relegation for (some) teams is announced?

This. 
Makes me feel that actually an ideal season for Norwich is finish 3rd, go to Wembley - tonk whoever we have in the final and then score 4-5 clanger Oggys in the last 10 mins to ensure we lose.
Rinse and repeat Championship destruction.
Would that sort of duche baggery make them re-consider the status quo in the Prem??

Just to further fcuk it up, we could make sure we spank the Burnleys and Watfords and when we need to drop a few to finish 3rd we simply roll over for your Coventrys and Burnt Hill reserves give them a few points to keep them up 😄

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Haha 2

2nd home game in a row they have thrown away a leading position. Cooper must be under pressure soon.

Excellent start by Fulham though.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

2nd home game in a row they have thrown away a leading position. Cooper must be under pressure soon.

Excellent start by Fulham though.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them act now and replace Cooper. That’s two six-pointers they’ve lost and one drawn. 

57 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Plucky little Forest

Doh

A team going about things the right way...

It was a ‘thriller’ of a game though……...surely they deserve to stay up because of such thrills?! 😂

• Haha 2

Forest won the playoff final on May 29th with five loan players in their eighteen man squad.

Four players from the team that won the playoff final started tonight, with only six players in their twenty player match squad from the playoff triumph.

They'd started pretty well, beating West Ham, drawing with Everton, and losing to Man City, Spurs and Newcastle.

Sliding doors moment for Cooper is that half-time against Bournemouth. Leading 2-0 at home then losing 3-2. Then following it up with the same scoreline against Fulham. Both of those games were real six-pointers, especially at home against relegation rivals.

Would imagine they'd take the upcoming international break to sack Cooper and appoint someone else.

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yep Fulham, Forest, Brentford, Leeds to stay up. Coventry and Binners to go up.

More clubs than Jack Nicklaus..

🙃

Coventry getting promoted with us? 

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

The gap between the two divisions is like jumping from the National League to the Championship. Some clubs bridge that gap with being defensively sound, utilizing clever recruitment by filling their team with pace, quality set piece takers and a few players with an areal threat and a hell of a lot of luck but it's getting harder every year. You can't just throw money at it and sign better players and expect it to work out anymore. The teams who go up and survive tend to either have a unique tactical system or a set of players that can score goals without having to work hard to create chances in play.

It's much better to build a solid defense in the championship and have in your team a few players with pace who can dribble around players that are not easily dispossessed, a quality set piece taker and  a few players who have height and an aerial threat so you can score from set pieces and low risk chances like crosses. 

From what I can see of Forest they have signed higher quality players but they don't have those weapons that teams can't defend against and they aren't strong enough at the back. It's better to have a lower quality overall team with a well organised defence and one Saint-Maximim and one Mitrovic in the team than it is to have a better overall team with no players who when on their game are unplayable and can create goals and chances from nothing. I think forest have a decent team but there's no one in there who their opposition simply can't defend against on their day, it's  similar to us that's why they'll be relegated. 

Just had a little look online, Fulham haven't spent much this transfer window. From what I can find roughly the same as we did last year, but what they did is bolster the midfield with palhiniha,pereria & willian and get some decent defenders from established clubs.

Only problem we have, those players will be on very decent wages which we will not be able to match.

Let's hope they finish on significantly higher points than we did.....otherwise the argument we simply needed to spend more is looking like it wouldn't have made all that much difference.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Let's hope they finish on significantly higher points than we did.....otherwise the argument we simply needed to spend more is looking like it wouldn't have made all that much difference.

I hope they crash and burn to be honest - who gives a &&&& about points scoring on a football forum!

• Like 1

I want Forest to go down because they spent so much but then I want Bournemouth to go down because it will be embarrassing if they stay up spending less than we did.

It's hard to call this season, Fulham have been impressive, Bournemouth have looked good at times ( probably still finish bottom) Forest have to improve surely.

Everton will struggle but always seem to just have enough, Leeds may well struggle again, villa are unconvincing..

I guess it will be between those 6,possibly Wolves too,maybe Brentford with a bad run of injuries 

Southampton,Brighton,Palace seem to be settled mid table teams now.

3 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Haven’t Fulham just gone up?

• Like 1

I don't really care who goes down. But I hope they don't dispense with Cooper yet, he performed a miracle last season and has earned time. The idea that he is going to get twenty players to gel just like that in the toughest keague in the world is fantasy, although chucking leads away at home to the two other promoted sides doesn't look good granted.

If they stick with him they'll stay up I'm sure, although if it's survival by the skin of their teeth he'll be replaced by a marquee appointment in the Sumner no doubt.

I still think it’s too early to say if they will it’s a long season and remember when Leicester did the great escape after being bottom at Christmas. Wouldn’t right off Cooper yet I think he’s a good manager