Sign in to follow this  
OnDaBall

World class Gilmour Brighton bound?

It seems Billy Gilmour isn't deemed good enough to be a part of Chelsea's future, odd that.

Brighton apparently are interested in a permanent move, on last season's evidence, I'd say that's about his level. The media appear to be desperate to see him re-united with Lampard at Everton but I doubt he'll want another relegation on his CV.

Now I'm not saying I would want him here this season, but I reckon if he had come this season instead of last, it may have been a better fit with the extra possession we are getting now.

Oh no we ruined a world class midfielder! I doubt he’d be a regular at Brighton! Blackpool maybe!

Edited by Indy

On Twitter the Chelsea fans reckon the club will regret selling him.

Somehow I think it might be the Brighton fans feeling regret.

• Like 2

Oh Brighton are ever so lucky if he graces them with his presence. They should be sure to shoehorn him in and build the team around him, for however will they get any success without his amazing side ways and backwards passing! 

At least he'll show the willingness to get the ball, shame he'll do sod all with it mind. 

I suspect he likes the idea of Brighton because under Potter last season they were a front foot, possession-based team, however I suspect that when he gets there he is going to fall into an Yves Bissouma sized hole that is going to be too big for him to find his way out of.

Cucurella will be a big miss for them next season as well - I don't know anything about his replacement Pervis Estupinan but as far as I can see he is the only left back at the club.  Imagine going into a season without adequate defensive cover ... 🤔

Whilst I rate Potter it is going to be interesting to see how they cope this season.  

Unfortunately the story forever more will be “Norwich ruined Gilmour” when he flops at his next move. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OnDaBall said:

Now I'm not saying I would want him here this season, but I reckon if he had come this season instead of last, it may have been a better fit with the extra possession we are getting now.

That makes sense, the same with Tzolis and Sargent, although probably none of them would have wanted to come to us while were a championship team. Good luck to Gilmour, I hope he proves the doubters wrong, but it was a pretty dire move to come to us - a poor decision from us and poor choice from him. 

If he had made some kind of impact last season, he probably would have been brought into the fold at Chelsea, but he never looked like he was going to do anything for us and that is not our fault - purely a wrong turn for him, in a career that may yet blossom, but I'm a bit surprised he may still go to a PL club.

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Unfortunately the story forever more will be “Norwich ruined Gilmour” when he flops at his next move. 

That's right WD40 it's well known up here that Norwichs reckless actions prevented Scotland from getting to Qatar.

I really don’t get the obsession, he’s long gone now.

Yes he wasn’t good last year, neither was he as bad as many like to make out in a woeful team.

Webber and Farke brought him in, it didn’t work, not his fault. 

I know both Chelsea and Scotland fans have been absolute **** about him but again not his fault.

Not sure why people seem to want to see him fail and even care either way whether he does at this point.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I know both Chelsea and Scotland fans have been absolute **** about him but again not his fault.

Not sure why people seem to want to see him fail and even care either way whether he does at this point.

Because of this, it's less Wee Billy himself  that it's aimed at but more the media and fans that rammed it down our throats how lucky we were and god forbid we left him out of a side or us fans wanted to see someone else given a shot instead of their messiah. 

Do we want a young lad to fail in his career? No of course not, but if he does will we have a smile on our faces directed at said media and supporters of moneybags? Absolutely. 

"It's not personal, it's strictly business" 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Why the spite against Billy? He never gave it less than 100%.

Sure he struggled. But he didn't want to struggle. So why the spite?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I really don’t get the obsession, he’s long gone now.

Yes he wasn’t good last year, neither was he as bad as many like to make out in a woeful team.

Webber and Farke brought him in, it didn’t work, not his fault. 

Well he took up a valuable spot in our first xi and we got relegated.

And certain circles said he unsettled Todd, believe what you will.

I dislike the lad for showing zero effort and swanning about like he was cr7 

• Like 1

Just now, Pugin said:

Hi Billy 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Again we brought him into the squad, so hardly his fault.

I didn’t see an effort issue personally, just an ability and quality issue with how we asked him to play.

No idea on the Todd stuff.

8 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Because of this, it's less Wee Billy himself  that it's aimed at but more the media and fans that rammed it down our throats how lucky we were and god forbid we left him out of a side or us fans wanted to see someone else given a shot instead of their messiah. 

Do we want a young lad to fail in his career? No of course not, but if he does will we have a smile on our faces directed at said media and supporters of moneybags? Absolutely. 

"It's not personal, it's strictly business" 

I mean I get that, I just feel the reactions to that towards him were poor. Gallows humour I get, but our own fans chanting “**** off back to Chelsea” at him was a pretty poor reflection on us IMO.

The media and other fans often acted cluelessly about him, I just don’t understand taking it out on the player. I can’t believe it wouldn’t affect the next loan situation in the prem and be on the mind of that player. I’m not sure we are anyones favourite second team after last season, and I don’t think it’s just the style of football.

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I mean I get that, I just feel the reactions to that towards him were poor. Gallows humour I get, but our own fans chanting “**** off back to Chelsea” at him was a pretty poor reflection on us IMO.

The media and other fans often acted cluelessly about him, I just don’t understand taking it out on the player. I can’t believe it wouldn’t affect the next loan situation in the prem and be on the mind of that player. I’m not sure we are anyones favourite second team after last season, and I don’t think it’s just the style of football.

While I half agree with this, it was only an issue for the wider football world because it was 'little ol Norwich' telling a 'world class Chelsea premier league elitist club' player to **** off back home. 

Had it been oh I don't know, say Portsmouth telling one of our kids to **** off back to Norwich no one would bat and eye lid or lose a minute of sleep over it. 

And good, it's about time we were disliked a little (outside of Suffolk)... We've been far to nice and laid back for far too long. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

4 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

While I half agree with this, it was only an issue for the wider football world because it was 'little ol Norwich' telling a 'world class Chelsea premier league elitist club' player to **** off back home. 

Had it been oh I don't know, say Portsmouth telling one of our kids to **** off back to Norwich no one would bat and eye lid or lose a minute of sleep over it. 

And good, it's about time we were disliked a little (outside of Suffolk)... We've been far to nice and laid back for far too long. 

Well yes, I kind of get your point, but I think we’d hate the Portsmouth fans and any neutrals who did take notice would probably think less of them too. Think it would still be newsworthy just not anywhere near PL and Chelsea newsworthy, it must be a pretty rare occurrence. Also not sure it help’s Portsmouths chances of future loans.

Edited by Monty13

Can’t beat some NCFC so called supporters 

They really are a class act after a couple of beers 

What have Brighton seen of Billy Gilmour's performances in the premier League to suggest this would be a good signing?

I wouldn't have him playing for us the championship. 

Billy is not the player he is touted to be. I didn't even see any potential. 

• Like 3

The season was horrible. We were crap and lost an awful lot. Billy was perpetually very obviously no good to us but continually included in the side, because of the particulars of his loan deal (so said they)

Like Tzolis it isn't his fault that we signed him and he was way off the pace. But where Tzolis just has that one tzealot on here that's nuts about him, the UK media and Chelsea fanbase are considerably more forceful. Fan ire was misplaced from them onto the player himself.

All being said and done, I'm interested to see Gilmour play football outside of Chelsea. I want to see if both of us were truly terrible.

14 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

He was/is a young developing talent that may yet come good; I don't see why he has become an extra special fall guy for a collective failure as if it's somehow reasonable to think he should have carried the whole team. 

Gilmour took up a valuable spot on the occasions where he was judged to be the best option for it. As others have pointed out, he was putting the effort in, but was on the receiving end of some pretty effusive personal abuse, so much so that when his family came to see him play, they were so horrified at the abuse he was getting that they didn't come to see him again. That was pretty shameful in my view and isn't a great advert for the club where other prospective loanees are concerned. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pugin said:

Because some people are always looking to point blame somewhere. It makes them feel better about themselves and their life has some meaning.

Gilmour as poor last season but so was every other player too.

• Like 1

A midfield of Gilmour, McLean and Normann. A horrible reminder of just how badly we got it wrong last season.

Let's move on.

Good luck to him.

His stint with us was toxic in every way and as much as I didn’t rate him, I found all the furore from all sides involved & the media beyond ridiculous. 

I have zero affection for him as a player, likewise PLM (reticent Carl Robinson), Normann (bone china mannequin). Together they formed our worst midfield in years at exactly the worst time possible. 

No doubt he’ll do well at Brighton - Potter’s an excellent manager and they have quality players there. But ultimately, so what? 

Edited by mrdi

Well if he does sign for the Seagulls at least his mother will like the colours and won't have to worry about touching any Fenian colours in the signing photo!