Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Massive gamble

People keep suggesting all will be well when the new signings bed in. Why are going to transform us? Genuine question. 

why do you think they will be amazing and rip up the league (the same was said of Rashica) rather than be the new South American Tzolis’?

Don’t get me wrong - I look forward to seeing them and anyone can see the midfield needs help. But I won’t quite roll out the red carpet after recent windows have been so poor 

We took this gamble last year and surely we don't have enough new players to actually bed in. That first team Xi had no excuse to lose.

Half the team have been together for over 2 years. Shows the flaws in Smith's ability and he needs to be axed before the damage is done.

Rather sit around playoffs as we rebuild under a good manager than get promoted under Smith it I'm honest.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

People keep suggesting all will be well when the new signings bed in. Why are going to transform us? Genuine question. 

why do you think they will be amazing and rip up the league (the same was said of Rashica) rather than be the new South American Tzolis’?

Don’t get me wrong - I look forward to seeing them and anyone can see the midfield needs help. But I won’t quite roll out the red carpet after recent windows have been so poor 

Who has said they will 'rip up the league' and who said that about Rashica?

There isn’t an alternative. Doesn’t matter whether we buy players from Europe, U.K., South America, North America or anywhere else we are looking. They will almost certainly be gambles.

Hayden is the only break in this pattern I can remember. On paper a fully fledged PL quality player.

When that’s the case all you can do is be optimistic (or pessimistic if that’s your way) because none of us no the likely outcome. I’d rather be hopeful recruitment has got it right and they come good personally.

I doubt the players are too concerned that DCB from the PinkUn won't "roll out the red carpet". 

Nobody knows. Personally I don't really see the point in assuming it will be rubbish and starting loads of threads proclaiming that view.

It's possible we may struggle, it's also possible we will be promoted easily. The most likely is that we are around the playoffs. 

DCB, you seem to be on a one man crusade against optimism. I can't imagine going into every season scared that it will be a disaster and getting any joy from the game.

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I doubt the players are too concerned that DCB from the PinkUn won't "roll out the red carpet". 

I expect they'll post his thoughts on the dressing room wall for motivation.

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I expect they'll post his thoughts on the dressing room wall for motivation.

It might just work you never know because whatever is on that wall at the moment clearly is not working.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

And the target fixation, has started.....

Don’t understand what you’re saying here? That people are ganging up on DCB?

If so, it’s because he repeatedly starts threads saying that things look sh1t and there’s a good chance they will get worse. Then posters reply to say that’s a negative approach, other posters who prefer a less positive outlook back up DCB and we get yet another pantomime “things are terrible, sack the coach/Webber/board”, “let’s wait and see” thread. 

It’s boring now, we get that DCB struggles to see the positive in anything. Do we really need another thread to illustrate that?

@cambridgeshire canary get loads of flak for starting a lot of threads. At least there’s some variety in his topics and they don’t (always) kick off yet another Percy Positives versus Nancy Negatives argument. I don’t see you defending him.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Don’t understand what you’re saying here? That people are ganging up on DCB?

If so, it’s because he repeatedly starts threads saying that things look sh1t and there’s a good chance they will get worse. Then posters reply to say that’s a negative approach, other posters who prefer a less positive outlook back up DCB and we get yet another pantomime “things are terrible, sack the coach/Webber/board”, “let’s wait and see” thread. 

It’s boring now, we get that DCB struggles to see the positive in anything. Do we really need another thread to illustrate that?

@cambridgeshire canary get loads of flak for starting a lot of threads. At least there’s some variety in his topics and they don’t (always) kick off yet another Percy Positives versus Nancy Negatives argument. I don’t see you defending him.

Even if DCB's threads at least gave us something different to talk about as opposed to what's already been discussed on each thread of our new signings, in some cases weeks ago, we could have a more genuine, indepth conversation / debate. We all know why the thread was really made though, and we all know how much quieter some posters are when things are going really well 🙂

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Even if DCB's threads at least gave us something different to talk about as opposed to what's already been discussed on each thread of our new signings, in some cases weeks ago, we could have a more genuine, indepth conversation / debate. We all know why the thread was really made though, and we all know how much quieter some posters are when things are going really well 🙂

TB a bit F to DCB, he is one of the more pessimistic brigade who sticks around here. We haven’t seen some of the names on the match thread for months. We lose a game and up they pop (although maybe I’m just jealous that they have a life outside this forum 🤔☹️).

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Scribble GIFs | Tenor

Dean Smith's motivation on the dressing room wall at Colney.

I thought that was Marty McFly's autograph.

5 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

People keep suggesting all will be well when the new signings bed in. Why are going to transform us?

Very simple for me:

Firstly, Idah and Pukki looked very strong together in the prem.  Either can be the focus of our attacks, and it certainly compliments Pukki to have that support.  We know the backline is pretty decent,  With that in place - You score goals and you're good.

Secondly, We are lacking a true hard working defence midfielder - Hayden is going to hopefully bring that for us.  Although Gibbs with a few more games under his belt could be a pretty decent option too.

Lastly, Cantwell appeared to be our only true creative outlet, and he was having to play so much deeper which lead us to hitting it long too often.  This is where a box-to-box player like Sara will come in to link up play and allow our creative players to be further progressed to do their work.

I mean, it's an absolute game changer to be without those key positions being filled.  Surely that's pretty evident?

• Like 1

Stick Buendia in our current team and you'd have a league winning side. But that's the different a top quality player can make to a team. Unfortunately we haven't signed any top quality players since we got Skipp on loan...

• Haha 1

Our transfer strategy is a huge gamble. 

Yes players from the championship can be overpriced, but I'd rather 2 or 3 proven from this level rather than spending the same money on 5 from abroad - in our current position anyway. 

If Sara and Nunez fail, that's £50 million fluffed by Webber with Sargent, Tzolis and Rashica. £50 million! And if they are deemed a success, the time it takes will likely be at the detriment to the position of NCFC on the football ladder. 

Webber appears obsessed with unearthing the next player bought for relative peanuts and selling to one of the big EPL clubs for tens of millions. I honestly think he's hugely motivated by it, more so than putting an effective first team together. I'm not saying he neglects that btw, just wants to be known in the game as someone he finds hidden gems. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Our transfer strategy is a huge gamble. 

Yes players from the championship can be overpriced, but I'd rather 2 or 3 proven from this level rather than spending the same money on 5 from abroad - in our current position anyway. 

If Sara and Nunez fail, that's £50 million fluffed by Webber with Sargent, Tzolis and Rashica. £50 million! And if they are deemed a success, the time it takes will likely be at the detriment to the position of NCFC on the football ladder. 

Webber appears obsessed with unearthing the next player bought for relative peanuts and selling to one of the big EPL clubs for tens of millions. I honestly think he's hugely motivated by it, more so than putting an effective first team together. I'm not saying he neglects that btw, just wants to be known in the game as someone he finds hidden gems. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

18 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

This is an interesting point - I do wonder if 

a) this is because he knows that is the only way we will become a stable premier league club with this ownership OR

b) it is because his bonus is linked to transfer profit?

I would like to think a) but the more obvious his arrogance becomes (see the fact that he only needs to give 90% and the owners begged him to stay when we are just a stepping stone for Europe) I'm beginning to think it might be b)!!

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Stick Buendia in our current team and you'd have a league winning side. But that's the different a top quality player can make to a team. Unfortunately we haven't signed any top quality players since we got Skipp on loan...

Pretty much what I thought all game is how our "system" is waiting for Grealish to pick the ball up and do some magic.

So yes, it's the Buendia missing link all over again. It seems that every team has that one standout player... I can't see ours right now.  Money would be on Cantwell if I had to pick anyone who's going to rise to the top based on pre-season and Cardiff match.

Rashica seems to be going backwards, which is really concerning... As he should be a massive threat in this league, and he clearly  rates himself highly too.  Time to step up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

This is an interesting point - I do wonder if 

a) this is because he knows that is the only way we will become a stable premier league club with this ownership OR

b) it is because his bonus is linked to transfer profit?

I would like to think a) but the more obvious his arrogance becomes (see the fact that he only needs to give 90% and the owners begged him to stay when we are just a stepping stone for Europe) I'm beginning to think it might be b)!!

It might be interesting if it was true, but it is pure supposition without anything to prove it. He “appears obsessed” but he may not be. He may have want as first choice to buy English players from the lower leagues, but our scouts aren’t finding any at a sensible price, so picking hidden gems is his fallback.  To then leap from this to “he’s doing it for the bonus” is a second leap of faith.

It could equally be the case that what drives him is the legacy he leaves behind (one version of which could be Norwich as a stable PL club), because that is what would best position him for his next role.  But we don’t know.

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I thought that was Marty McFly's autograph.

I thought it was the trimmings from Tillos Brazilian 😇.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I thought it was the trimmings from Tillos Brazilian 😇.

Hope he didnt get nicked when doing it!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

People keep suggesting sacking the board, sacking the DoF, sacking the coaching staff with no thought to adequate replacements will magically turn a yo-yo club into a secure premier League fixtures. Why should it? Genuine question.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Pretty much what I thought all game is how our "system" is waiting for Grealish to pick the ball up and do some magic.

So yes, it's the Buendia missing link all over again. It seems that every team has that one standout player... I can't see ours right now.  Money would be on Cantwell if I had to pick anyone who's going to rise to the top based on pre-season and Cardiff match.

Rashica seems to be going backwards, which is really concerning... As he should be a massive threat in this league, and he clearly  rates himself highly too.  Time to step up!

I understand why we paid that much money for Rashica, but I now think he's one of those players (often wingers) who flatter to deceive. Sargent, for example, I find it really hard to believe that an actual human scout went and watched him in a real football match and said, yes, this guy is worth 8m. His failings are glaringly obvious. But Rashica looks good at first sight. When you see him play regularly, though, you start to wonder if he lacks the ability to see the bigger picture and understand what is happening on the rest of the pitch: for example, all those Pukki runs which he just doesn't seem to notice. He plays in his own bubble, which is why he so often ends up running into a cul-de-sac. I may well be wrong, but that's how I personally read him. I have very little hope that he will improve and if we can get back what we paid for him, I think we should sell.

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I understand why we paid that much money for Rashica, but I now think he's one of those players (often wingers) who flatter to deceive. Sargent, for example, I find it really hard to believe that an actual human scout went and watched him in a real football match and said, yes, this guy is worth 8m. His failings are glaringly obvious. But Rashica looks good at first sight. When you see him play regularly, though, you start to wonder if he lacks the ability to see the bigger picture and understand what is happening on the rest of the pitch: for example, all those Pukki runs which he just doesn't seem to notice. He plays in his own bubble, which is why he so often ends up running into a cul-de-sac. I may well be wrong, but that's how I personally read him. I have very little hope that he will improve and if we can get back what we paid for him, I think we should sell.

Ah Lee Croft syndrome. It seems to affect all our wingers. Onel, Placheta, Tzolis and Rashica, all have head down and run to nowhere ability

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Rashica looks good at first sight. When you see him play regularly, though, you start to wonder if he lacks the ability to see the bigger picture and understand what is happening on the rest of the pitch

Yes, totally accurate description of his failings as I see them too.

He's now got a big adjustment to make in a league where players come at you hard.  He struggled to maintain possession at the weekend.