cambridgeshire canary

**Official lappinitup match thread Cardiff v Norwich**

49 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Getting shades of Farkes first season for us. 12th place finish awaits me thinks

Well that created some disturbing imagery for me... (apologies to Lakey who I hope takes the joke in the harmless manner it is intended)

download.jpg

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, chicken said:

And where is that inaccurate? So you think that Cardiff set up to outplay us? To try and play good football? You think the ref was right not to book pull backs that he saw and stopped play for?

Do you not think that had an impact on the game? If you don't, how do you explain an otherwise, normally laid back Norwich side, breaking and losing their rag at a side that had been deliberately fouling and disrupting the game for the 70mins to that point?

You think none of that was important to the game? That it wasn't front and foremost, purely our inability, lack of quality etc etc etc?

Didnt say any of the above was not important. 
However, we should not keep looking for excuses or we will be at the World Cup break feeling sorry for ourselves if we continue losing in this way. 
We should be aware that teams will try to frustrate us by any means and refs are not the best. 
Today feels like a Prem game from last year, with many reasons why we have not won. 
Looking forward to seeing our new signings out there as Smith’s signings and to see how a Smith team performs.  

At this moment nothing has changed from last year. Cannot score, not seeing too much fight or desire and wheeling out excuses. 

49 minutes ago, Indy said:

I do think some people are writing off the fragility of our squad, it’s short of confidence and I asked the question this week, are the players buying into Smith as we have a really have a losing mentality, with very little change over the summer!

Pity we dont have a manager with a proven track record of reversing a losing mentality and winning the league

• Like 1

Problems from today

Sargent wasn't good enough for the Premier League and he's not good enough for the Championship 

Sorenson ditto

Why weren't the substitutes brought on earlier? 

We don't have Emi any more 

Hopefully the 3 new signings will make a difference but the really frightening thing is that we were worse in the 2nd half than the first. Based on what I saw today, Smith is a bit average as well. 

Plus points - Gibbs looks like a good player. That's it really. At times we were playing with 7 or 8 players with the rest either not good enough or don't care enough 

50 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

All this anti Smith stuff is bizarre. He came in with the players already in place, and had no money to spend in January. His new faces this summer are either not ready or not yet here, so he is still working with what he had. You think he doesn't realise the players aren't good enough? Maybe that's why Gibbs came on and he has tried to get Cantwell back.

Last season the players didn't turn up. The same players didn't turn up today - that's not particularly surprising. But I'll judge him after 10 or 15 games rather than 1.

Perhaps 11?

Listening to Smith on Canary call - I despair stating we played well- really and they frustrated us- we should be able to be above this and able to deal with this- also why  dont Chris Goreham ask more probing question - why aren't we improving or  our identity etc

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not now, assuming we get Nunez. And potentially in  a month's time the midfield three will be Hayden, Sara and Nunez. A draw will be a good result today.

We need this midfield, or at least two of the three, to become available as soon as possible.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

We need this midfield, or at least two of the three, to become available as soon as possible.

Indeed but I doubt we’ll see Hayden very soon, the other two might end up being no better than Rashica & Sargent! Till they play in this league big question marks! Fingers crossed, but we need to see Dowell back and move Rashica right and Cantwell out right again.

One really positive from today, that kit is absolutely the best in this league by a mile! Our away strip is pretty damn good too!

7 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Listening to Smith on Canary call - I despair stating we played well- really and they frustrated us- we should be able to be above this and able to deal with this- also why  dont Chris Goreham ask more probing question - why aren't we improving or  our identity etc

Because if he did then RN would get the Stuart Webber special and would be accused of 'going after them' 

Must admit I don't think I've ever actually heard him ask any hard hitting questions and just blowing smoke even during shìte times. 

Fantastic commentator though. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Just now, Indy said:

One really positive from today, that kit is absolutely the best in this league by a mile! Our away strip is pretty damn good too!

Tut, tut! I thought you commanded we are only allowed to comment on the game. You're not good at leading by example are you!

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Tut, tut! I thought you commanded we are only allowed to comment on the game. You're not good at leading by example are you!

I thought you had better things to do then stalk people! Why isn’t the kit part of the game?

1 minute ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Because if he did then RN would get the Stuart Webber special and would be accused of 'going after them' 

Plus I don't think I've ever heard him ask and hard hitting questions and just blowing smoke even during shìte times. 

Fantastic commentator though. 

Yes I would agree with you BUT sometimes I would  like to hear some hard hitting questions, 

Just now, baldy09 said:

Yes I would agree with you BUT sometimes I would  like to hear some hard hitting questions, 

Absolutely. Unfortunately though, never going to happen. 

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

I thought you had better things to do then stalk people! Why isn’t the kit part of the game?

Probably for the same reason that you said my comment referring to 45 games to go after this one defeat, "isn't part of the game". Although, do feel free to explain how the look of the kit has anything to do with the performance.

Edited by horsefly

41 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Nice little paradox there. Looks like you're arguing it was wrong to only give Farke 11 games. In which case, it's wrong to only give Smith 11. No reason to make the same mistake just to be fair to Daniel...

Nope, just expect consistency - if we're saying Daniel was treated fairly

17 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Problems from today

Sargent wasn't good enough for the Premier League and he's not good enough for the Championship 

Sorenson ditto

Why weren't the substitutes brought on earlier? 

We don't have Emi any more 

Hopefully the 3 new signings will make a difference but the really frightening thing is that we were worse in the 2nd half than the first. Based on what I saw today, Smith is a bit average as well. 

Plus points - Gibbs looks like a good player. That's it really. At times we were playing with 7 or 8 players with the rest either not good enough or don't care enough 

Why do you single out Sorensen? He wasn't crap. He wasn't good, but he wasn't crap. Far better, for example, than Rashica. And also Sargent, who was woeful. Hernandez did more in five minutes than those pair managed in the whole game.

• Like 1

Well if Gibbo doesn't get fit it will be Sorensen at CB and a midfield of McLean and Gibbs and no cover on the bench.

How the hell did we get to this?

• Like 1

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Nope, just expect consistency - if we're saying Daniel was treated fairly

I was against sacking Farke, but it was not an unreasonable decision given it was a really dreadful start to the season. 

When all's said and done, Cardiff is a quality club who you'd expect to be hovering around the top of the table at the end of the season. This is the very first game of the season, away at the opposite end of the country,  after a short pre-season. It sounds like it was extremely badly handled by the referee and a 1-0 scoreline is, while disappointing, hardly anything to get excited about. 

Keep calm, learn some lessons from it, and carry on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well if Gibbo doesn't get fit it will be Sorensen at CB and a midfield of McLean and Gibbs and no cover on the bench.

How the hell did we get to this?

Because we have a bloated squad that needed cutting down and quality over quantity or some shìt.... They forgot one thing though, you actually need quality for that to work 😉

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I was against sacking Farke, but it was not an unreasonable decision given it was a really dreadful start to the season. 

When all's said and done, Cardiff is a quality club who you'd expect to be hovering around the top of the table at the end of the season. This is the very first game of the season, away at the opposite end of the country,  after a short pre-season. It sounds like it was extremely badly handled by the referee and a 1-0 scoreline is, while disappointing, hardly anything to get excited about. 

Why are Cardiff going to be top end? They finished 18th last season. Created almost as little as we did and looked like millwall in disguise 

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Isn't Cardiff in Wales? I am now leaving it anyway.

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Why are Cardiff going to be top end? They finished 18th last season. Created almost as little as we did and looked like millwall in disguise 

Possibly because when Morrison took over they were nailed on to go down. And they finished 15 points above relegation. SO he really improved them. It's hard to tell as they've brought in 13 players I believe so no one knows if they'll gel or not and carry on improving.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The lesson learned is that Smith's clueless.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Sorensen. Neat and tidy today, but partnered with McLean... little outlet. McLean is a ticking over sort of player. He does a bit of everything well, pops up with a goal and a through ball per season but not consistently.

People need to chill, we've started almost a month earlier than normal, the transfer window is open for another month. 

Fixed that for you 😉 

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

In an effort to cheer everyone up I was going to post a picture of that Dean Smith mug with ti ts.

Do NOT Google 'Dean Smith with ti ts'

Challenge accepted.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

The lesson learned is that Smith's clueless.

What a profound insight. Genius. How has he survived in football so long and you're the first to notice?

Did you get that from your five -year-old?