cambridgeshire canary

**Official lappinitup match thread Cardiff v Norwich**

2 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

The trouble is that this is just an continuation from last season - trouble scoring and not enough from midfield - we can only hope that the new players signed can hit the ground running

Fair comment. 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Getting shades of Farkes first season for us. 12th place finish awaits me thinks

If you're not already a journalist for one of the sensationalist Newspapers, I really recommend you should consider it. You have an uncanny ability to jump to wild conclusions with little (or no) evidence and with zero value of the statement.

• Haha 1

I do think some people are writing off the fragility of our squad, it’s short of confidence and I asked the question this week, are the players buying into Smith as we have a really have a losing mentality, with very little change over the summer!

3 minutes ago, HoolaOHoolahan said:

I would love that to be the case. I just don't have the faith in the manager or our recruits. Maybe if Hayden , Sara and other new recruits are amazing? I love your confidence but I fear it may be misplaced.

Ask me again in 5 games time and perhaps ill be leaning more towards your view. 

We were poor today no doubt about it but Cardiff certainly didn't deserve to win.

I'm clinging onto the fact alot of the people claiming disaster did so after Farkes first few games in our last title win. Today we sucked yet had more of the ball, more shots, more corners, more free kicks..

It's very similar to the arguments I was having on here post the Derby match under Farke.

• Like 1

NCFC are relying on championship  has beens who although promoted  twice under Farke, also failed twice in the prem. They are carrying a 32 years old striker who cannot score because creativity is non existent, just as it was during the Farke (and Smith) premiership days. Unless big changes are  made, I’m afraid it appears there is very little to look forward too in the next 45 games!

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Hayden, Sara and possibly Nunez. 

Hayden is a defensive midfielder which we really need two of.

Sara & Nunez don't have any record of creating or scoring goals.

Thats a dreadful result against a team who were 18th last season...but the worst thing is it was entirely predictable

We saw no pattern of play , identity or a way of attacking last season after Smith came in, and in this pre season the same could be said , we didnt look like scoring in the 2 games in Scotland last weekend and have brought it into the new season

Even in the 15 mins today where we had a man advantage , we didnt look like scoring

I fear we're going to have many more days like this under Smith and will have to endure plenty of his excuses in post match interviews

I dont see it working under him

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Losing to Wigan could relegate us? 😉

We're already gone NS. You just won't face up to reality. No way we can turn this round with only 45 games to go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, percy varco said:

Not our fault at all then?

Where do I say that?

No, it was a game where we needed to box clever. We were playing awful tactics assisted by an equally inept referee. Sometimes you have to change it up. As Mark Walton has said, those four yellow cards should have been a signal to get in their faces. Get at them, drive at them.

For me, the subs did that.

However, to say we were not creative is at best a half truth. Cantwell is on course to be one of our most fouled players again. 

All this anti Smith stuff is bizarre. He came in with the players already in place, and had no money to spend in January. His new faces this summer are either not ready or not yet here, so he is still working with what he had. You think he doesn't realise the players aren't good enough? Maybe that's why Gibbs came on and he has tried to get Cantwell back.

Last season the players didn't turn up. The same players didn't turn up today - that's not particularly surprising. But I'll judge him after 10 or 15 games rather than 1.

11 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And just like in all our relegation season you will be there to assure us everything is just fine - when it plainly isn’t 

Hilarious isn’t it

Just now, Number9 said:

Sara & Nunez don't have any record of creating or scoring goals.

They'll fit right in.

• Haha 2

Tell me why Smith deserves more than 11 games? It's all Farke got to bed in new signings, most of whom were crocked or not match fit.

After pissing the league the season before and having laid out a philosophy through the club from top to bottom and bringing on players who we sold for millions.

If he only gets 11 games grace, why should Smith get more?

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

We're already gone NS. You just won't face up to reality. No way we can turn this round with only 45 games to go.

Instead of being boringly pedantic, why not actually talk about todays game! Or don’t bother?

2 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

NCFC are relying on championship  has beens who although promoted  twice under Farke, also failed twice in the prem. They are carrying a 32 years old striker who cannot score because creativity is non existent, just as it was during the Farke (and Smith) premiership days. Unless big changes are  made, I’m afraid it appears there is very little to look forward too in the next 45 games!

So the very opposite of Championship has-beens.

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Tell me why Smith deserves more than 11 games? It's all Farke got to bed in new signings, most of whom were crocked or not match fit.

After pissing the league the season before and having laid out a philosophy through the club from top to bottom and bringing on players who we sold for millions.

If he only gets 11 games grace, why should Smith get more?

Farke lost 10 of them. If Smith loses the next 9 I'll be with you. He won't though.

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

All this anti Smith stuff is bizarre. He came in with the players already in place, and had no money to spend in January. His new faces this summer are either not ready or not yet here, so he is still working with what he had. You think he doesn't realise the players aren't good enough? Maybe that's why Gibbs came on and he has tried to get Cantwell back.

Last season the players didn't turn up. The same players didn't turn up today - that's not particularly surprising. But I'll judge him after 10 or 15 games rather than 1.

10. 15 games of Smith will ruin us.

I still cannot get my head around how anyone with a modicum of sense thought replacing Farke with Smith was anything more that utterly moronic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

10. 15 games of Smith will ruin us.

I still cannot get my head around how anyone with a modicum of sense thought replacing Farke with Smith was anything more that utterly moronic.

I'd suggest you look up "How to form a sentence" in a book of grammar before calling anyone else moronic....

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Farke lost 10 of them. If Smith loses the next 9 I'll be with you. He won't though.

Maybe the difference being one was at PL level and one at Championship?? Farke had us playing like prime Barcelona at this level…

Edited by Virtual reality

7 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

13 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

As much as certain people don’t want to believe it, Emi and Skipp were the beating heart of this team last Championship season. We haven’t replaced Emi with a playmaker in the same ilk, and we don’t have a CDM that can anticipate and protect like Skipp. 

We’ve ripped the supply of goals from Pukki so he feeds on scraps, Sargent is absolutely useless and not of the required standard, Rashica looks like he’d rather be anywhere else, and the midfield is far too soft and easy to overrun. 

If Smith hadn’t figured all of that out from last season then frankly, I don’t see how we’re going to compete at all.

We keep hearing this theory that without Emi, or a player of his ilk, Teemu can’t score. He scored 11 goals in the PL last season without Emi. He scored 11 with him. 

Nuff said.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

Liam Gibbs when he came on looked by far our best midfielder, quite what that says for the likes of McLean I'm not sure. 

Oh well I'm not even angry by it all anymore, it's all too predictable when we lose now, nothing today changes my preseason prediction of 14th.

I hope for Smith's sake Nunez and Sara don't turn out to be just the South American Sargent and Rashica 

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Aims are very different though. If Farke had lost most of his games, yet kept us in 17th that would have been a success.

Smith is expected to win the league I imagine - thats certainly the record of the manager he was deemed an upgrade on. If he's not well on his way to doing that by 11 games, tell me why he gets more time

18 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I'll be saying that and smugly reminding everyone ive been saying it since we were relegated when we are sat bellow expectations in October - January when our board finally pull the trigger.

Oh my god I want to be wrong!!!

So why do I get all the flack for saying it? 

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Instead of being boringly pedantic, why not actually talk about todays game! Or don’t bother?

Get you!!! Pretty average game which we largely controlled without being very threatening. Hit the bar, and forced their keeper into a great save. Need more bite and dynamism in midfield, which one might reasonably expect when Hayden, Sara, and hopefully Nunez are on board. Will that do sir?

P.S There's an apostrophe in "today's" (not that I would ever be pedantic).

Utter sh**e. Compare that to how Burnley performed ,it's sobering. Just the same feeling I got watching Brentford beat Arsenal on there first fixture last season. Norwich have no chance.....I'd take mid table now .Smith has ten matches and will come under pressure very quickly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

If you’re going to insist on posts being accurate and relevant, I think you’re in the wrong place.