Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Surely we need more midfielders?

If Lees-Melou leaves. as Rupp has already left. 

We had Normann and Gilmour on loan. 

So that's 4 centre midfielders down, 2 injured centre midfielders in, but with 8 more games to play in the league.

We'd have to see at least another 1 coming in wouldn't we? I get that Gibbs might be highly rated, but even considering this, surely need one more senior pro?

So we have McLean, Sorensen. Hayden (injured), Sara (not ready) and Gibbs (untried). I think we need one, possibly two tbh.

Makes the decision to release Rupp even more strange. He could have done a job for us and I can't believe his wages were that high.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a Dele-Bashiru type signing. Young, loads of potential but not expecting a start unless he hits form sort of thing 

We also have Cantwell, Sinani and Dowell, all three of whom have Championship winning or playoff experience - how many positions do we need to fill in the mid field anyway? 

Edited by Surfer

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

We also have Cantwell and Dowell, how many positions do we need to fill in the mid field anyway? 

It all depends on the formation. If we're planning on playing with a DM, two CMs and two wide attacking midfielders, I think Dowell or Cantwell could occupy the third spot... a bit like Mourinho's Chelsea formation in 2005 (see below). Hayden plays Makelele's role, Sara plays Lampard's box-to-box role, and Cantwell/Dowell takes Tiago's role of a deeper-lying playmaker (a bit like Mount has done for them recently).

1_PdC9FYOqXAQyq9TVXZkCjQ.png.958149d850d4c082bf05925de6daccc0.png

However, if we're playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2, no way Dowell or Cantwell could play one of the two CM roles.

Hopefully we'll be returning to the central number 10 so only 2 midfield spots for the majority of the season. That means we need at least 4 CMs in the squad, which we have.

We've clearly been trying to cut down the bloated squad so it would be totally backwards to fill it up with dross again; and we really don't have enough money left to bring in anyone who would massively improve on what we already have.

• Like 1

I do find the sentiment that we should sign a player because Hayden is out for a few weeks pretty funny. Seen it a handful of times.

I'll retract this if it becomes an issue throughout the season, of course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

It all depends on the formation. If we're planning on playing with a DM, two CMs and two wide attacking midfielders, I think Dowell or Cantwell could occupy the third spot... a bit like Mourinho's Chelsea formation in 2005 (see below). Hayden plays Makelele's role, Sara plays Lampard's box-to-box role, and Cantwell/Dowell takes Tiago's role of a deeper-lying playmaker (a bit like Mount has done for them recently).

However, if we're playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2, no way Dowell or Cantwell could play one of the two CM roles.

That doesn't really change the equation though- whichever way we're likely going to need to start two of Hayden, Sorensen, Sara, McLean and Gibbs. 

If all 5 were fit right now I'd say that's enough but with question marks over how quickly the two newbies will be involved we could use one more.

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So we have McLean, Sorensen. Hayden (injured), Sara (not ready) and Gibbs (untried). I think we need one, possibly two tbh.

Makes the decision to release Rupp even more strange. He could have done a job for us and I can't believe his wages were that high.

My thoughts exactly - seemed weird at the time as he was probably the best midfielder we had left but it all seems pretty random at the moment. Webber seems to be kissing as many frogs as possible in the hope that eventually............

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

That doesn't really change the equation though- whichever way we're likely going to need to start two of Hayden, Sorensen, Sara, McLean and Gibbs. 

If all 5 were fit right now I'd say that's enough but with question marks over how quickly the two newbies will be involved we could use one more.

A good point well made. Counterintuitively, we're probably more likely to need to replace PLM if we only play with two CMs rather than three!

6 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Smith has previous for similar. He would play a strict defensive midfielder (Douglas Luiz) with two forward thinking 8s (Grealish / McGinn) and it isn't hard to swap Hayden, Cantwell and McLean directly into those roles.

Personally speaking I think we have the personnel to make 3-4-3 work. Either with wing backs OR my preference of almost 'inverted wingers' who push forward and in. Essentially a 3-2-5 in attack, which favours a high press.

• Like 1

Its not how many is it. Its how good they are. We know Kenny can play decent enough in the EFL. That probably means Dowell starting behind Teemu. Rashica on one side and Todd on the other. So we are looking for Sorenson to step in.

Once we have Sara and Hayden match fit I can see us reverting to Teemu on his own, Rashica and Todd and Hayden, Sara and Kenny.

But I still think another midfield player will come in soon.

2 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

My thoughts exactly - seemed weird at the time as he was probably the best midfielder we had left but it all seems pretty random at the moment. Webber seems to be kissing as many frogs as possible in the hope that eventually............

Whilst Rupp has good energy  he was injured constantly (yeah yeah we've singed 2 coming off the back of injuries) and wasn't particularly physical, something we're clearly looking to add in that part of the pitch. We're looking to make signings that would have improved on our squad last season. Rupp wasn't the guy.

• Like 1

I'd like to see another. That seems to be what is being indicated from Michael Bailey's tweets and John Percy too. I also think we need to give Gibbs a chance, he's done well over pre-season. 

39 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The article in Rupp this afternoon (here) it says, "Rupp elected against extending his stay at Carrow Road after making 19 top-flight appearances for the club last season". Sounds more like his decision than ours.

Rupp just wasn't fit often enough unfortunately.  

Something must be in the pipeline already for them to have let PLM go. One in gives us six which should be plenty.

38 minutes ago, Petriix said:

and we really don't have enough money left to bring in anyone who would massively improve on what we already have.

We're getting £3.5m from Lees-Melou allegedly, perhaps Smithy will get that to sign the replacement?

12 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'd like to see another. That seems to be what is being indicated from Michael Bailey's tweets and John Percy too. I also think we need to give Gibbs a chance, he's done well over pre-season. 

The article in Rupp this afternoon (here) it says, "Rupp elected against extending his stay at Carrow Road after making 19 top-flight appearances for the club last season". Sounds more like his decision than ours.

If you read between the lines with most stuff produced RE Rupp, I'd say its pretty clear he didn't like being in England and I for one am not surprised he chose to go.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We've clearly been trying to cut down the bloated squad so it would be totally backwards to fill it up with dross again

It was the wide areas we're we'd seemed to collect a load of deadwood. Placheta and Tsoliz are out on loan, and by the sounds of it we're trying to shift Martin also. Also a huge number of young goalkeeepers (Aston Ox and McCracken now departed of course).

I don't think anybody would have considered us to have had too many centre midfielders.

Surely we need more midfielders?” - it’s been a good few years since anyone’s said that on here.

This however:

37 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And one more CB wouldn’t go amiss 

🥱

If Hayden is hit and miss in terms of fitness, and Sara needs a season to adjust, we are looking very light in the centre of the park.I’m not sure Kenny is the player he was the last time we were in the championship. 

56 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Having read the article on Rupp recently put on the Pinkun front page, it seems as though we had made him an offer but he turned it down. It kinda reads like he wanted to be playing a different role. Perhaps they suggested he'd be back up? Certainly doesn't ready that we didn't offer him new terms, on the contrary, he says he had the option of "keeping things the same".

6 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Gustavo Hamer would be my choice too. Push the boat out, get him and that is an impressive midfield mix.

McLean, Hayden, Sara, Hamer, Sorenson and Gibbs.

I think McLean would be a back up at best from the bench with those options. 

7 hours ago, astro said:

If Hayden is hit and miss in terms of fitness, and Sara needs a season to adjust, we are looking very light in the centre of the park.I’m not sure Kenny is the player he was the last time we were in the championship. 

Regarding the old cliché about some players need an arm around the shoulder and some need a kick up the ar*e, I definitely see McLean as the latter. When his regular starting position is threatened, his performance improves. Once he's guaranteed a start again, it starts to fall off. Just my reading of him from what I've seen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Surely we need more midfielders?” - it’s been a good few years since anyone’s said that on here.

This however:

🥱

So when we inevitably have half our defence on the treatment table again, we're back to playing whoever we've got available again.

We really never do learn do we.....

We have had 18 out and 2 in. Both of whom are injured.

Clearly we needed to shift a few but we are now starting to look a little lean in certain areas if promotion is the real objective. 

For me 3 recognised and tested CB is one too few. Hence I think we need one more. yes Sorenson and byram can step in- but that isn’t their natural position 

As for midfield - I am worried we have signed the next Normann in Heyden - a crocked player who needs time to heal. Leaving us with an unknown risk in Sara- who might need quite a bit of time to adjust as our only change in a midfield that was horribly off the pace last season. And that doesn’t fill me with optimism 

• Like 2