5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The fact the the team and Smith are in Germany does not bode well for the transfer widow to put it mildy...

Why?

45 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I do not wax lyrical. I made one positive post after Kabak signed - but spent almost the entire summer lamenting the inability to sign a replacement for skipp and criticising the decision to sell Buendia. I was told I was too negative, that the board knew what they were doing. And was later proved right. But don’t let facts get in the way of the rhetoric 

Yeah, you made those comments BEFORE the Kabak signing. Once Kabak and Normann had came in, you said it was, and I quote "the best transfer window"

It shouldn't need explaining, but if you spend all summer complaining about the window, then once we actually make signings call it the best window in history, you can't then later on say "AH, but BEFORE I said it was good I said it was BAD so I'm right"

An absolute comedy sketch watching you make these posts

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I hadn't considered the toe injury but I would still counter it with the fact that we actually tried to score goals that season. We were far more turgid last year.

I'd also add that there wasn't a creative player of the calibre of Emi in the Championship last season and multiple players hit 20+ goals. Most of them were inferior to players to Pukki too.

Carvalho who Liverpool just snapped up from Fulham ;), I'd say he isn't far off or on par with emi (which actually makes emi's move to villa all the more ridiculous) 

But i take your point on inferior strikers. Other than brereton-diaz, I'd take him as 1st choice In a heart beat. 

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The fact the the team and Smith are in Germany does not bode well for the transfer widow to put it mildy...

Why? 

We've been to Germany every year we've been able to and signings have not stopped. 

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Carvalho who Liverpool just snapped up from Fulham ;), I'd say he isn't far off or on par with emi (which actually makes emi's move to villa all the more ridiculous) 

But i take your point on inferior strikers. Other than brereton-diaz, I'd take him as 1st choice In a heart beat. 

Carvalho was picked up by based on potential. His 10 goals and 8 assists were dwarfed by Emi's 15 and 17.

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, you made those comments BEFORE the Kabak signing. Once Kabak and Normann had came in, you said it was, and I quote "the best transfer window"

It shouldn't need explaining, but if you spend all summer complaining about the window, then once we actually make signings call it the best window in history, you can't then later on say "AH, but BEFORE I said it was good I said it was BAD so I'm right"

An absolute comedy sketch watching you make these posts

It is quite ridiculous isn’t it.  I can’t believe people, including me, even bother replying to such garbage.

It’s still been pretty quiet across the board - the overwhelming majority have done just a couple and looking down the list of signings, I don’t think there’s more than one or two that we might have done with.  Sides like Burnley have either lost or stand to lose many of their better first team players, so obviously need to cover far more gaps in their squads.

In short, last summer showed that looking at the quantity of transfers (alone) is a pretty stupid thing to do.  Quality over quantity should always be the mantra but some can’t seem to see beyond the numbers. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

10 goals and 8 assists last season is some way off Emi's 15 goals and 17 assists. Carvalho wasn't even Fulham's main creative force. That was Harry Wilson with 10 goals and 19 assists. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

Fair points.. but his ability is still much higher than anything we have in the creativity department and was more than enough for this league. 

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

18. This is the number of championship clubs who have now managed to do more business than us in this transfer window. Which is to say we seem to be leaving it very late to bed in any new faces. 

Here is hoping this week brings a bit more activity. One senses that maybe we cannot get the money we want for those on our “for sale” list and that this leaves us bloated and forced to “go as we are” 

How many clubs would swap our Financial situation and squad for theirs? 

Nearly almost all of them.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I do not wax lyrical. I made one positive post after Kabak signed - but spent almost the entire summer lamenting the inability to sign a replacement for skipp and criticising the decision to sell Buendia. I was told I was too negative, that the board knew what they were doing. And was later proved right. But don’t let facts get in the way of the rhetoric 

Please. Don't bulls*it me with one line then tell me I'm ignoring facts in the next.

We both know that's not what you said, something about it being the best transfer window in years and credit to the board. Don't make me use that search button.

27 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

10 goals and 8 assists last season is some way off Emi's 15 goals and 17 assists. Carvalho wasn't even Fulham's main creative force. That was Harry Wilson with 10 goals and 19 assists. 

Playing devil's advocate, having Carvalho AND Wilson in the team probably had a detrimental impact on Carvalho's stats. I doubt Buendia would have scored an assisted as many with Wilson as a team mate as the attacking burden would have been more evenly shared. Buebdia was our outlet 80% of the time, neither Carvahlo or Wilson had to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Why? 

We've been to Germany every year we've been able to and signings have not stopped. 

But Webber is in charge of all transfers - not Smith.  All Smith has to do is give a 👍 or a 👎🏻 with an explanation.  Unless Webber at 90% means Smith has more of an input? 😔

50 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I still think we’re weaker without Emi and Skipp. Hope I’m proven wrong.

I suspect you could be right, I don't personally see Hayden and whoever is signed to 'replace' Buendia being as good as those two were in 20/21 but that doesn't mean we won't have a squad good enough to finish top two. We have multiple squad members with at least one promotion on their CV, just depends whether they can maintain that level of performance for the coming season. I don't think we will make many signings and I don't believe we need to.

35 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Playing devil's advocate, having Carvalho AND Wilson in the team probably had a detrimental impact on Carvalho's stats. I doubt Buendia would have scored an assisted as many with Wilson as a team mate as the attacking burden would have been more evenly shared. Buebdia was our outlet 80% of the time, neither Carvahlo or Wilson had to be.

There's probably something to this but you can use logic on our side too. If we didn't make Emi the heart of our side tactically then the output of other creative players in the team would have risen. Make Carvalho or WIlson the heart of a Championship side and I doubt they're winning the title.

The attacking midfield/wing part of our squad is really fascinating to watch at the moment. I think a lot of people are underrating the likes of Rashica and Dowell whilst simultaneously overrating players we're almost certainly trying to shift in Sinani and Hernandez.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't they have phones or internet in Germany?

You could argue it's a better central base than stuck on and island.

Alternatively, rather than being so dependent on Buendia (let's face it, some were crapping bricks when he wasn't in the line-up due to injury, suspension, or his sprog being born), why not have a more functional unit with assists and goals a bit more spread out throughout the team?

Hayden's the big one here. You'd think a battle-hardened Premier League defensive midfielder should mean for starters that our full-backs can stay forward more often. We know Giannoulis can hit a tasty cross when he's on the front foot. We also know Dowell and Pukki were beginning to gel nicely in the later stages of last season. We also know Aarons was disappointing going forward in the Prem - probably caught in two minds as often as not.

If two of Rashica, PLM, and Sargent kick on from the new signings, and Omo and Idah continue progressing, that should be a very strong spine indeed.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Carvalho was picked up by based on potential. His 10 goals and 8 assists were dwarfed by Emi's 15 and 17.

Carvalho was picked up by a Champions League side. No Champions League team wanted Emi so he was picked up by by a lower mid-table EPL side.

7 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

There's probably something to this but you can use logic on our side too. If we didn't make Emi the heart of our side tactically then the output of other creative players in the team would have risen. Make Carvalho or WIlson the heart of a Championship side and I doubt they're winning the title.

The attacking midfield/wing part of our squad is really fascinating to watch at the moment. I think a lot of people are underrating the likes of Rashica and Dowell whilst simultaneously overrating players we're almost certainly trying to shift in Sinani and Hernandez.

I agree.

However, the insinuation is that Buendia is the better player. Perhaps right now he is, but if you were to ask me which one I would like at Norwich, it would be Carvalho. Yes, he didn't get close to Buendia's goals and assists, but would a Buendia starting a Championship season at 18 years old have had as good a season as Carvalho just had? I doubt it; I suspect Carvalho will go further in the game than Emi.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Carvalho was picked up by a Champions League side. No Champions League team wanted Emi so he was picked up by by a lower mid-table EPL side.

He's 19 and due to his contract running down he was really cheap. He was absolutely signed on potential and potential future value. He's basically a 'punt' for them.

5 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

18. This is the number of championship clubs who have now managed to do more business than us in this transfer window. Which is to say we seem to be leaving it very late to bed in any new faces. 

Here is hoping this week brings a bit more activity. One senses that maybe we cannot get the money we want for those on our “for sale” list and that this leaves us bloated and forced to “go as we are” 

Don't fret DCB. While it is, of course, preferable to have all your business completed asap, I don't think it's as vital for us in the Championship as it is in the Premier League where we need all the winds blowing in our favour.

I don't think we will be getting many new faces anyway (attacking mid, replacements for first 11 leaving). After signing a mountain load of players last year that weren't good enough for the top league, you'd hope those same players that still remain will be able to perform at this level.

OTBC

9 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I agree.

However, the insinuation is that Buendia is the better player. Perhaps right now he is, but if you were to ask me which one I would like at Norwich, it would be Carvalho. Yes, he didn't get close to Buendia's goals and assists, but would a Buendia starting a Championship season at 18 years old have had as good a season as Carvalho just had? I doubt it; I suspect Carvalho will go further in the game than Emi.

Yeah, I was comparing Emi of 2 seasons ago and Carvalho of last season. 

I have no idea how far Carvalho can go but he's obviously worth a hell of a lot more than the £5m Liverpool spent on him. 

That being said If it was a choice I'm taking Emi every day of the week.

Edited by KeiranShikari

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

Yeah, I was comparing Emi of 2 seasons ago and Carvalho of last season. 

I have no idea how far Carvalho can go but he's obviously worth a hell of a lot more than the £5m Liverpool spent on him. 

That being said If it was a choice I'm taking Emi every day of the week.

To get us out of the Championship this season, I'd take Emi.

But with an eye on who is going to be the better player in 2, 3 or 4 years, and who is likely to have the better career, I'd take Carvalho.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Why? Does the entire squad have to be in this country for us to buy someone else?

I am not going to vote either way about whether the squad is good enough. I don't know how good our rivals are because I didn't watch them last season. I watched us.

The only real concern I have is that some are saying we go straight back up because we always do. But that was under DF. His style and tactics was good and suited to us doing well. I cannot honestly say I know what style Deano has.

So I will keep my powder dry until a few weeks into the season before making any judgement about how good we are.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Why, or maybe how,  do you come to this conclusion? Webber conducts transfer negotiations, not Smith.

1 hour ago, LaUnionCanary said:

Why, or maybe how,  do you come to this conclusion? Webber conducts transfer negotiations, not Smith.

Well I hope Deano gets some input.

5 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Does anyone actually think our squad is anywhere near a good as last time we got relegated? I certainly don't...

Nowhere near.    Be interesting to see how many chances we actually create.    Buendia and Pukki where telepathic, Pukki knew instinctively if the ball came to Emi, he may as well just run because the ball would be on its way.   But Emi created for everyone!  We have nothing of that sort now.  Creating chances is not easy, hopefully Rashica and Cantwell can step up but we got some way to go to fill that void.