Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Ok, some good points about the club

Financially viable, no debt.

Experienced management team.

Stability of ownership.

Good stadium with potential to develop.

Strong academy.

Plenty of good young players on the books.

Good set of senior players to keep at the core of the squad/team.

Those that didn't/don't have the stomach for the fight will leave.

Brilliant fanbase (apart from the few single brain cell fans that every club has)

The only one of those that is arguable is that "stability of ownership" is a good thing. Well it is imo and we would be in a heck of a mess if we hadn't had that stability over the years, right up to the present day. Yes, it's been a rough old season, but it is still a case of "be careful what you wish for" in terms of getting new owners. Some of you don't get that....that is up to you....but money on it's own is not the answer.  Ask any of the clubs that are floundering now having got new owners in, thinking they were going to be saved by their money.  Ok you could get someone in like at Newcastle that will work....but at what cost?  They have sold their soul for that money. 

Our problems this season are easy to see - covid at the start/unavoidable late arrivals to the squad/insane fixture list at the start/changes forced by Skipp going back to Spurs and Emi wanting to move/Cantwell rocking the boat/the ridiculous hype around Gilmour/Webber sacking Farke when he did and not having a replacement lined up..........none of that is due to  the owners.  Ok they appointed Webber - but then that has been hugely positive for our club.  This season didn't work out, but he deserved the chance to get it right. He got it wrong imo - but that is another story. So we got relegated again - we have to suck it up, take the setback for what it is - a chance to regroup and go again and do it better next time.

I still hanker after Farke, but even though he has left, the club is still in a good place......so f*** the media and idiots who talk about us being  an "embarrassment"  - it's just an easy label. There is a lot more to it and as we move forwards, with a club still with a huge amount going for it, we will see us develop and kick on again. Cry into your beer or milk or whatever, but we will emerge from this stronger.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

ADD- inclusive fan / club ethos. I think the family club ethos we have is enviable to all that dont wear knock off stone island.  

Most fans of clubs outside of the PL would look at City with envy for the reasons outlined above, unfortunately though the PL will always be seen as 'the league' to be in and the way City performed last season strips negates many of those positives. 

Where I am at with it is.

If there is not a viable alternative business plan available apart from the blueprint Webber has come up self funding model buy low sell high invest in the academy etc… Then I back this plan it is a good plan. However clearly this does not mean the club are above criticism for this season it has been a stinker of the highest order. The execution of the plan this season has been woeful. Execute the same plan better and things will improve.

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The only one of those that is arguable is that "stability of ownership" is a good thing. Well it is imo and we would be in a heck of a mess if we hadn't had that stability over the years, right up to the present day.

I'd argue that we're about to enter a period of instability.

I see Webber walking, Delia stepping down after losing Farke and Webber in one season, and us becoming rudderless over summer.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I'd argue that we're about to enter a period of instability.

I see Webber walking, Delia stepping down after losing Farke and Webber in one season, and us becoming rudderless over summer.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. 

Can't see that myself. The last thing DS/MJW would want would be to rock the boat.  If Webber does leave, then if they were thinking of passing the club on, they would do it at a time when it was safer to do so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Financially viable, no debt.

Experienced management team.

Stability of ownership.

Good stadium with potential to develop.

Strong academy.

Plenty of good young players on the books.

Good set of senior players to keep at the core of the squad/team.

Those that didn't/don't have the stomach for the fight will leave.

Brilliant fanbase (apart from the few single brain cell fans that every club has)

Financially viable, no debt. Only for a season or two at championship level. 

Experienced management team. Means nothing. 

Stability of ownership. Have you had your head in the sand for the last 6 months? Nothing at the club is stable right now. 

Good stadium with potential to develop. Ageing stadium, 75% of it desperate for development. With no development planned or viable with current ownership. 

Strong academy. Proof will be in the pudding as to whether this is the case.  I keep seeing so called young talent released... But there are some encouraging signs, I'll give you that. 

Plenty of good young players on the books. See above. 

Good set of senior players to keep at the core of the squad/team. Most have multiple relegations on their records now, and looked devoid of motivation for the majority of last season. The likes of Hanley, Krul and Pukki all linked with moves away. Our core senior players are now institutionalised in the Norwich way... which isn't a good thing. 

Those that didn't/don't have the stomach for the fight will leave. That's about 18 players leaving then, along with 90% of the backroom and senior staff. 

Brilliant fanbase (apart from the few single brain cell fans that every club has). Disillusioned and apathetic fanbase at serious risk of decline. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:
8 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Have you had your head in the sand for the last 6 months?

Creedence, meet Lakey.

It's mainly over reaction at the moment and a lot of people throwing their toys out of the pram. Get to the start of next season and see how it goes. We'll soon start enjoying it again if we do well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's mainly over reaction at the moment and a lot of people throwing their toys out of the pram. Get to the start of next season and see how it goes. We'll soon start enjoying it again if we do well.

Can't disagree. I was fed up and even pretty angry towards the team yesterday.

Feeling neutral now. Depending on the DoF/coach/signings outlook, it could all flip-flop back to some degree of reasonable hope again by August

Just now, lake district canary said:

If Webber does leave, then if they were thinking of passing the club on, they would do it at a time when it was safer to do so.

They're both over 80 years old, invest emotionally in managers and senior management.

Massive respect to them if they find the fire in their bellies to seek out a replacement to equal or better than Webber, setting up new goals, long term plans and review of strategy and finances.

But, I think they'll call it a day.  They've put absolute trust in Webber, without him they're all out at sea.

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Let's see how it goes next season? So you are happy to give the current management another go?

14 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Let's see how it goes next season? So you are happy to give the current management another go?

I don't see what the alternative is.....unless Webber leaves and we invite Farke back.....

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't see what the alternative is.....unless Webber leaves and we invite Farke back.....

Pigs Fly GIFs | Tenor

The only one of those that is arguable is that "stability of ownership" is a good thing. Well it is imo and we would be in a heck of a mess if we hadn't had that stability over the years, right up to the present day.” 

There is absolutely no reason to believe we would be in a mess without this ownership. They are not the only people capable of running a football club….

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

The only one of those that is arguable is that "stability of ownership" is a good thing. Well it is imo and we would be in a heck of a mess if we hadn't had that stability over the years, right up to the present day.” 

There is absolutely no reason to believe we would be in a mess without this ownership. They are not the only people capable of running a football club….

But isn't that the whole point?  We don't have anyone else and there is no-one else in the frame who has the money to take it on.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

But isn't that the whole point?  We don't have anyone else and there is no-one else in the frame who has the money to take it on.

I don’t believe for a second that if they were to signal their intentions to give it up that there wouldn’t be plenty of offers on the table to take it over. If you truly believe there wouldn’t be then you must also believe that the club dies with them 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think our majority shareholding duo have any intention of relinquishing their throne anytime soon....

I think the majority of our support are fully aware of that.... 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

unless Webber leaves and we invite Farke back.....

...Farke, as manager or director of football?

Lakey, I love your 'look yes we are on the titanic and it's sinking but honestly I fancied a swim and here's why maybe this is a good thing' attitude and all but i'm not sure this is the best time for it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Financially viable, no debt. Only for a season or two at championship level. 

Experienced management team. Means nothing. 

Stability of ownership. Have you had your head in the sand for the last 6 months? Nothing at the club is stable right now. 

Good stadium with potential to develop. Ageing stadium, 75% of it desperate for development. With no development planned or viable with current ownership. 

Strong academy. Proof will be in the pudding as to whether this is the case.  I keep seeing so called young talent released... But there are some encouraging signs, I'll give you that. 

Plenty of good young players on the books. See above. 

Good set of senior players to keep at the core of the squad/team. Most have multiple relegations on their records now, and looked devoid of motivation for the majority of last season. The likes of Hanley, Krul and Pukki all linked with moves away. Our core senior players are now industrialised in the Norwich way... which isn't a good one. 

Those that didn't/don't have the stomach for the fight will leave. That's about 18 players leaving then, along with 90% of the backroom and senior staff. 

Brilliant fanbase (apart from the few single brain cell fans that every club has). Disillusioned and apathetic fanbase at serious risk of decline. 

I think this pretty much shuts up the original post or should do! The pertinent point you make about the senior players is a real worry I share. Have they truly got the drive to 'go again for the third time'??  I don't think they have and will leave if they get a half decent offer. 

I'm frustrated at the current state of affairs, and envisage a 4-season departure to the Championship.Hope I'm wrong! Thanks LDC for an uplifting post at a time when most choose to offer only criticism.

Of the 92 clubs, NCFC were in position #21 12 months ago & progressed to #20 this season. At least it shows consistency...

I’ve been saying for a long time, this club mirrors it’s owners, lethargy from the owners who’s board is set up to run without challenge, they have given the everyday running of the club to the Webbers who again have no priority to the club as the only reason he’s here that he was begged to stay, Smith looks like he doesn’t care on the sidelines, he’s about as energetic as a sloth during the game! You can see why the players haven’t turned up this year! But it’s OK as most of the fan base have been conditioned to this way as The Right Way to run a football club!

Why has there been a severe disconnect with fans is the question to ask, as this was supposed to be the ethos of this community club!

Edited by Indy

4 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

The likes of Hanley, Krul and Pukki all linked with moves away.

There was loads to disagree with but our better players being linked with other clubs being listed as a negative against the club is one of the more bizarre that gets mentioned around here multiple times. It's because we scouted / bought / developed these players well that interest exists.

Maybe it was just better under Roeder when no-one wanted our players.